Who else is tempted by other vehicles?

jeffmiller1990

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JKU Rubicon X
Well, after wanting to wait for the JT to come out and being realistic about the towing capacity probably being stuck around the 6500-7000 range I pulled the trigger on a slightly used 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with the max tow package (11,000 lbs) and all the bells and whistles. I'm going to miss the 2014 JKU Rubi X, but I'm definitely happy with what I bought. Will still follow the threads to see how well the JT turns out.
GMC.jpg
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Well I almost bought a Raptor, but then backed out at the last minute. Wife talked me out of it due to cost, but Im not sure how much less the JT will really be with Rubicon V6 JLs being already in the mid 50s.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Today I find myself drooling over the Ranger Raptor and my mind is running with the possibility (likelihood) it will end up on our shores. I can entirely see it being fitted with a V6 EcoBoost and pushing well into the mid to high 300's for HP and TQ. I have never owned a Ford or really any vehicle outside of Volkswagen and Jeep but I will be honest and say I am really tempted by that truck. My wife brought up a good point when discussing it earlier. It makes more sense to spend more up front and get the vehicle configured from the factory the way I want (suspension, locker(s), off-road goodies, etc.) then buying a lower tier and doing all that work later on. I have always been one to do it myself and make it my own but I very well might end up doing just that regardless of which vehicle I get. My heart is still dead set on the JT but that Ranger Raptor is really tempting. The price when it hits the US might bring me back down to reality but for the time being I will let my mind run free.

2019-ford-ranger-raptor.jpg

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I too very much like the Raptor Ranger. 2 issues for me, no open top and no manual transmission. I understand the lack of open top as that has never really been a ranger or a truck thing, however no manual is very disappointing.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I too very much like the Raptor Ranger. 2 issues for me, no open top and no manual transmission. I understand the lack of open top as that has never really been a ranger or a truck thing, however no manual is very disappointing.
They offer a manual in the global market so hopefully it will make its way to the US market eventually. The future is exciting for off-road enthusiast vehicles and it is refreshing to see auto manufacturers jumping in and offering them!

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the Raptor Ranger too. For me it depends on cost and if they actually bring it here with a Ecoboost V6. If so I will be very tempting over the JT. As much as I like a removable roof I take my Wranglers roof off only a couple of times per year and if I had actually gone through with its Overland build and but a full Safari Style roof rack on it with RTT I would never take the top off, so removable top for me is super low in priority. What is high on priority is power and comfort. Thats why I have been so drawn to the Raptors (both the Ranger and F150) as they will be well powered, and have long travel IFS suspension which will be much much better on the road then the SFA Jeep. When Overlanding and doing mulit day drives this will really be a big plus.

Warbirds

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater trucks and fast motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
My first car was a 62 Willys CJ5, it was rough, I had it long enough to drop a turbo charged 3.8 V6 from a Buick Grand National into it. It was green, only had a soft top.

That was over 25 years ago. I have owned some cool cars and trucks, but that old CJ was totally unique with that tubro Buick pushing it down the road.

It oozed with character.

I am hoping (and waiting) for a soft top diesel Gladiator to do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
Today I find myself drooling over the Ranger Raptor and my mind is running with the possibility (likelihood) it will end up on our shores. I can entirely see it being fitted with a V6 EcoBoost and pushing well into the mid to high 300's for HP and TQ. I have never owned a Ford or really any vehicle outside of Volkswagen and Jeep but I will be honest and say I am really tempted by that truck. My wife brought up a good point when discussing it earlier. It makes more sense to spend more up front and get the vehicle configured from the factory the way I want (suspension, locker(s), off-road goodies, etc.) then buying a lower tier and doing all that work later on. I have always been one to do it myself and make it my own but I very well might end up doing just that regardless of which vehicle I get. My heart is still dead set on the JT but that Ranger Raptor is really tempting. The price when it hits the US might bring me back down to reality but for the time being I will let my mind run free.

2019-ford-ranger-raptor.jpg
The ranger raptor will never make it here. The f150 raptor would take too big of a hit. It would be the perfect truck tho.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
This thread is exactly where I am right now haha. I sold my beloved 2005 TJR a few months back d/t an upcoming wedding and it kills me to be jeepless right now. I only had 24k miles on my tj Rubicon, but I knew it had to go with wedding bills and everything. My fiancé and I made an agreement that I could get a Jeep after the wedding lol, so I have to hold strong. I always wanted an AEV LJR, but seeing this JTR has me wanting the truck now. Currently I’m daily driving my 2002 ford ranger lol and it’s not terrible but it’s no jeep either. Tacoma’s always sparked my interest, and the supercab raptors. I think when the price comes out on the JT it will put everything into perspective for us all. I hope a base Rubicon doesn’t start at 49.9k.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The only two vehicles I'm intrigued by are the Gladiator and Ranger. The Ranger obviously will be on dealer lots sooner, scheduled for spring 2019. The 2.3L EcoBust with the 10-speed and a good tune will be wildly fun in that truck. It also looks pretty nice and sleek, and from my experience Ford makes a great truck.

But, I'm just not sold on EcoBust reliability and the next vehicle I get I want to keep forever. So that's why the Gladiator is still very much in the argument. I think it will come down to pricing for me next year.

Sponsored

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
The only two vehicles I'm intrigued by are the Gladiator and Ranger. The Ranger obviously will be on dealer lots sooner, scheduled for spring 2019. The 2.3L EcoBust with the 10-speed and a good tune will be wildly fun in that truck. It also looks pretty nice and sleek, and from my experience Ford makes a great truck.

But, I'm just not sold on EcoBust reliability and the next vehicle I get I want to keep forever. So that's why the Gladiator is still very much in the argument. I think it will come down to pricing for me next year.
The Gladiator should be on dealer lots by Spring as well, I talked to my dealer he said FCA said around the beginning of April they will have the Gladiator in Raleigh for dealer demo (possibly sooner). He also said they should be on lots in middle to end of April.

Keeping in mind this is from a dealer Hall Dodge is a top tier FCA dealer and had just had the FCA rep there the week before (so they said). They have always been straight forward with me at Hall so no reason to not believe it at this point.

I plan on going back and talking to General Sales Manager to try and get better insight as to when order banks will open and see if they have a guess on when the late availability colors will be available. Will let everyone know what they say.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Gladiator should be on dealer lots by Spring as well, I talked to my dealer he said FCA said around the beginning of April they will have the Gladiator in Raleigh for dealer demo (possibly sooner). He also said they should be on lots in middle to end of April.

Keeping in mind this is from a dealer Hall Dodge is a top tier FCA dealer and had just had the FCA rep there the week before (so they said). They have always been straight forward with me at Hall so no reason to not believe it at this point.

I plan on going back and talking to General Sales Manager to try and get better insight as to when order banks will open and see if they have a guess on when the late availability colors will be available. Will let everyone know what they say.
Sounds good. The last word I got was that ORDERS would begin on Gladiator in spring 2019, which means that the Ranger will actually beat it to market by roughly 6 months if history repeats itself for FCA.

The Gladiator certainly has lots of appeal, and has lots of features outside of the cargo box of course that the Wrangler doesn't have. So it'll be interesting to see where pricing falls.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good. The last word I got was that ORDERS would begin on Gladiator in spring 2019, which means that the Ranger will actually beat it to market by roughly 6 months if history repeats itself for FCA.

The Gladiator certainly has lots of appeal, and has lots of features outside of the cargo box of course that the Wrangler doesn't have. So it'll be interesting to see where pricing falls.
Multiple videos from LA Auto Show have said they will be on dealers lots in Q2.

Roddy13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Tacoma is the only other truck I'm looking at... but they need to step up their game a bit... the Gladiator looks to be well worth waiting for in comparison.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma is the only other truck I'm looking at... but they need to step up their game a bit... the Gladiator looks to be well worth waiting for in comparison.
I have looked at Toyota's in the past I have never been able to get over the interior of them. They spend a lot of time designing the exterior and the mechanical making them capable but it's like they just don't put a lot of effort on the inside. The interior design is a big deal to me, that's what I look at/ use more than anything else. My JT will be a daily driver so I want some creature comforts. My wife is about to get a new SUV as well and she liked the 4-runner all the way up until she saw the interior. Looks like she is going for the Grand Cherokee High Altitude now.
Sponsored