Sponsored

Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick??

Dashiki

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon, '21 Willys
I always thought Wranglers were cool as a kid but no one I knew had one.

My wife and I needed a dive truck for our island home and she wanted something unique. We both thought of the Gladiator and bought a ‘21 Willys and have loved it over the last year. We shipped it to the island last week and within 24 hours we were back buying amother one. Went with a Rubicon this time.
Jeep Gladiator Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick?? 55689F1F-417E-4108-B660-DCF1928ED38B
Jeep Gladiator Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick?? C11311FD-8A6E-40B5-BF20-829E34C8EB85
Sponsored

Last edited:

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I actually got myself into them in the mid 90's.

I had a beautiful Chevy Silverado extra cab 4x4 ('93) that I ordered just the way I wanted it. Three years later (just as the warranty ran out...) the PCM went bad. I traded it in on a 1995 Cherokee Sport. I was living in MA at the time and that thing was a beast in the snow!!! Unfortunately, it had a body defect that allowed the rear carpeting to get wet, and that spring when it got hot, soured and smelled moldy. After EXTENSIVE cleaning didn't get rid of the smell, I traded it (A/C was running when the dealer looked at it so no mold smell :rock: ) on a '93 ZJ Laredo with low miles. Ran that to 113K and stoopidly sold it for a '96 RAM 1500 4x4 extra cab (transmissioon was junk) which two years later, traded that in for a '96 ZJ Laredo. Ran that one to over 240K. Engine and trans were still strong and it didn't burn oil but had electrical issues, hence the getting rid of.

Drove a '98 Exploder for a few years and HATED it but, it was all I could afford at the time.

Then, my Dad gave me his '03 Grand Cherokee Laredo. LOVED that car. Unfortunately, I rolled and totaled it due to some blood pressure meds I was taking...passed out behind the wheel 😳

Bought an '02 GC SE with the 4.7L in it. Kept that for a while but needed more towing power. Traded that in on an '08 GC Overland with the Hemi. LOVED that vehicle. Mild lift and bigger tires, towed VERY well and actually got 'okay' mileage on the highway (21 mpg).

Sold that when I moved to Kyiv, Ukraine to teach English in the summer of '18.

Came back, had to stay because of family issues and bought a 2011 GC Overland with the Hemi. Nice vehicle but, a real pig on gas. I was lucky to get 16 mpg on the highway :(

May 2019: Ordered my Gladiator Overland.
June 2019: Traded the 2011 GC Overland for a 2019 GC Ltd. V-6. Stoopid thing gets over 26 mpg on the highway 👍

July 2019 took delivery of my Gladiator. LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!

So, with a few exceptions, since '96, I've been a Jeep guy when I could afford it. Both Jeeps are paid for and will keep them for as long as possible.

LONG LIVE JEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍😍😍😍😍

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExoShield

ExoShield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Windshield Protection Film
I bought a brand new Samurai in 1993 and it’s still my favorite vehicle if all time. 18 years later it was beat to hell and I retired it. Since I couldn’t buy another new one, I bought a new JK and loved it. When the JT came out I had to have one. I wanted a truck so it’s the perfect combo for me.
Jeep Gladiator Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick?? C11311FD-8A6E-40B5-BF20-829E34C8EB85

These photos are awesome thanks for sharing!

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I grew up in a small town in Kentucky. In the early 1970's, my uncle had a CJ5 that he drove when he would take my dad and I to his favorite frog gigging spots. I don't think I ever rode in it when the top and doors were on...ever. Then in junior high/high school one of my buddies had a Grand Wagoneer that we did everything in. When it came time to buy my first vehicle, there was a new '81 CJ7 on the lot that I couldn't pass up. I've had a Jeep of some kind for the last 40 years. Today I have 2 JKUR's and a JTR. These 3 will prolly be the last vehicles I ever buy/own.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExoShield

ExoShield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
I actually got myself into them in the mid 90's.

I had a beautiful Chevy Silverado extra cab 4x4 ('93) that I ordered just the way I wanted it. Three years later (just as the warranty ran out...) the PCM went bad. I traded it in on a 1995 Cherokee Sport. I was living in MA at the time and that thing was a beast in the snow!!! Unfortunately, it had a body defect that allowed the rear carpeting to get wet, and that spring when it got hot, soured and smelled moldy. After EXTENSIVE cleaning didn't get rid of the smell, I traded it (A/C was running when the dealer looked at it so no mold smell :rock: ) on a '93 ZJ Laredo with low miles. Ran that to 113K and stoopidly sold it for a '96 RAM 1500 4x4 extra cab (transmissioon was junk) which two years later, traded that in for a '96 ZJ Laredo. Ran that one to over 240K. Engine and trans were still strong and it didn't burn oil but had electrical issues, hence the getting rid of.

Drove a '98 Exploder for a few years and HATED it but, it was all I could afford at the time.

Then, my Dad gave me his '93 Grand Cherokee Laredo. LOVED that car. Unfortunately, I rolled and totaled it due to some blood pressure meds I was taking...passed out behind the wheel 😳

Bought an '02 GC SE with the 4.7L in it. Kept that for a while but needed more towing power. Traded that in on an '08 GC Overland with the Hemi. LOVED that vehicle. Mild lift and bigger tires, towed VERY well and actually got 'okay' mileage on the highway (21 mpg).

Sold that when I moved to Kyiv, Ukraine to teach English in the summer of '18.

Came back, had to stay because of family issues and bought a 2011 GC Overland with the Hemi. Nice vehicle but, a real pig on gas. I was lucky to get 16 mpg on the highway :(

May 2019: Ordered my Gladiator Overland.
June 2019: Traded the 2011 GC Overland for a 2019 GC Ltd. V-6. Stoopid thing gets over 26 mpg on the highway 👍

July 2019 took delivery of my Gladiator. LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!

So, with a few exceptions, since '96, I've been a Jeep guy when I could afford it. Both Jeeps are paid for and will keep them for as long as possible.

LONG LIVE JEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😍😍😍😍😍
This is the ultimate timeline! Quite an adventure you have had! Thank you for sharing!

OP
OP
ExoShield

ExoShield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
I always wanted one since I was a little kid. I don't know why. Then my buddy bought one when we were in high school (a used 97 TJ). About 10 years ago, he was looking to sell that TJ to pay for a new truck (no Gladiators yet back then, and brutes were crazy expensive). My wife (then girlfriend) needed a vehicle. It was meant to be. It was a 5 speed soft top, with no air, but served us well for a while. But eventually just too much rust. We went jeepless for about 5 years, when we traded it for a Compass (haha). Now we're back in the Jeep game with a JKU 75th and a JTR. I don't ever want to be jeepless again.
Never be Jeepless again!

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
I figure id share my story since there wasnt an individual that got me into Jeeps. If anything I hated them prior to testing and owning my gladiator. My impression of Jeeps and Jeep people was either starbucks drinking basic girls, or douchnozzle guys like that one on tiktok that always yells at his girl. Both of which were fake ass posers that never see anything even close to "off road". I had also always considered Chrysler jeeps, YJ and up, to be cheaply built and prone to failure. That was Until i started looking for a Mid Sized pickup. I dont like Nissan, couldnt fit in a Colorado, im anti Ford, and I really cant fit in a taco. SO i figured id look into the gladiator because it wouldnt be fair if i didnt at least look. As I did my research, all my preconceived notions about Jeeps and Jeep people went straight into the toilet (where they belonged). I discovered that they were really great vehicles and extremely fun. My impression had completely changed and I am now a full on Jeep person myself. Even after a Blown pentastar, and a bad axle seal, im still on board.

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
Growing up I wasn't into off-roading or Jeeps. I was into stop-light racing on M59 and Woodward Ave. Huge muscle car guy until I moved to the South West.
I had sold my last car and bought a new Ranger (2001) right before I moved out here. Wheeled it some but it really needed a lift for what I was trying to do. However, there were only 5 inch lifts for it and I wasn't trying to build a Bro truck. Ended up with a 2001 XJ (which I still have) and it has been unbelievable reliable and super off road. So when it came to needing a new vehicle, another Jeep was high on the list. The JT pushed the decision over the top. So now I guess I am a "Jeep Guy".

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I always thought Wranglers were cool as a kid but no one I knew had one.

My wife and I needed a dive truck for our island home and she wanted something unique. We both thought of the Gladiator and bought a ‘21 Willys and have loved it over the last year. We shipped it to the island last week and within 24 hours we were back buying amother one. Went with a Rubicon this time.
Dang, that almost looks familiar.........

Jeep Gladiator Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick?? 1656103222429

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Who got me into Jeeps:
Me. No one else, really. Maybe some influence from my little brother, but basically it was me.

Why did it stick:
Why not? Good experiences with Jeep, they are unique, different, and I've been an AMC person since I bought my first car at age 14.
Jeep was a natural progression.

Working as a mechanic almost all of my life save for a stint farming and a few years in IT, I worked on almost everything. I worked on and drove Scouts, Blazers, Jeeps, you name it. I really loved the rattling very mechanical, very involved while driving vehicles like that.
I worked on Jeeps in the late 70s and early 80s right in the middle of the AMC influence, so the engines were extremely familiar - the 258, the 360 and so on.
I almost took a job as service manager at the local Jeep dealership in the 80s - anyone from Iowa remember the name Bud MulCahy's AMC/Jeep? They offered me the job and I said no as I liked the boss I had at the time......... silly me!
I needed a vehicle after my divorce and she got the Eagle because it was kid friendly for the seats and all the room in the back, my Chevy truck was getting hard to repair and get parts for, so I decided I needed a vehicle that could fill 2 roles - daily driver and truck. The answer was at the local AMC dealer - Comanche.
It went from there.
My youngest brother has had Jeeps of various flavors for decades. I believe his current is a TJ he had imported to Iowa from I believe Maine.
They have one for their business as well - (be careful what you say, guys, that's my sister-in-law in the driver's seat......)

Jeep Gladiator Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick?? 1656103707905

AMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '19 GSXR750, '05 S2000
Occupation
LEO
Aug '19 - Had only 1 day to fly from school to AZ so had to get a rental for a couple of weeks and PHX offers Jeeps, figured I'd give one a try.

A month of so later I bought a motorcycle as my daily commuter so every time I would take it back to Phoenix for service and leave it for a week, I'd rent another Jeep from the airport.

In early 2020 I went back east for another friends Dragon trip but not enough time to go get my car. Was walking to my boring rental when I walked past a Wrangler Rubicon...exchanged the bore for the Jeep to see how the Rubis are.

Back in AZ, the whole service & rental goes on for about a year until I decide I want one. Didn't care for the Gladiators so I was leaning toward Wrangler until Enterprise just happened to have a Gladiator Rubicon available and my motorcycle had a flat tire. Perfect chance to see if it'll fit. Welp, it did so my decision was made. Would browse Jeep's inventory nationwide and found Tri-City had one exactly how I wanted, just with leather instead of cloth. Reached out but couldn't bring myself to get leather when it gets to 118° here. Thankfully found out about TreadLightly during this time and placed an order for my current truck with them instead and picked it up 8wks later. Kinda wish I would've listened to everyone else saying I should order Snazz since I was only interested in Ruby/Rapid Red on the Raptor's at the time, but once that order's in it's in unfortunately.

1k miles in the first day by taking it to the Dragon, then down to FL
Then another 2300 or so by trailering my fun car from FL to AZ
And here we are 2 days shy of 13mos and 26k miles

Oh, and now the agency has JLURs - Go figure

That's my Jeep story.

Jeep Gladiator Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick?? Jeeps-1

Jeep Gladiator Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick?? Jeeps-2

Jeeps-3.jpg

ntwrkguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Jeep Wrangler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Giving away my age here, but…at a flea market around 1987 or 88 and saw a teal CJ7 and gel in love. Although, the impact of Daisy Duke’s Jeep can’t be understated either. 😂

Armsbearer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2021 JL Willys, 2014 MB GL63 AMG
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
It was part of our culture, so to say. At least in mine and wife’s and our parents generation, WWII era Jeep Willys and 1911 45 ACPs are must haves. When we were little, my dad owned both and so did my wife’s dad. We didn’t know each other back then.

When wife and I finally were able to afford a second vehicle that is not a family hauler, we ordered a 1999 TJ Sahara, green with tan soft top, and 4.0 I6. It was rock solid. We would have kept it hadn’t my daughter rolled it going to work in 2012. Insurance totaled it for $13k. I was amazed at how it kept its value.

When it was time to retire our 2002 MB SLK 32, we looked back at our experience with that 1999 TJ and decided to get a 2018 JL Rubicon. No issues whatsoever with it until we realized that since we don’t rock crawl and needed something that can haul gardening stuff and be able to take us camping and occasional jaunts into mild off roads and still fit in our garage, we got a 2021 Mojave.

Wife greatly missed that JL cause she found the length of the Mojave too difficult to park at her place of work, and she didn’t want to use the 2014 GL63 as her daily commuter, so we got a 2021 JL Willys that was greatly discounted at a dealership in Alhambra.

There you have it folks, our Jeep history.
Sponsored