Sponsored

Who has a rolling tonneau cover that they love?

tfinnell

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Red Rubicon Recon edition, 2020 JT White Rubicon, '67 Corvette
That's your opinion. The factory tonneau cover is great! And for $500 it's well worth it - it does what it's supposed to do - keeps your stuff hidden, it's pretty damn secure and it looks good.

If you like a different type or brand buy it. I've had many different bed covers (my Raptor has a Roll-N-Lock retractable cover that's great but it's waaaay more $$$). I've had Bakflips and hard shell covers too. This tonneau is really a good product :)
So glad you were able to share your opinion, the factory determined mine to be defective and replaced it, the new one is fine. So, like anything else, if something new is bad, others need to know.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's your opinion. The factory tonneau cover is great! And for $500 it's well worth it - it does what it's supposed to do - keeps your stuff hidden, it's pretty damn secure and it looks good.

If you like a different type or brand buy it. I've had many different bed covers (my Raptor has a Roll-N-Lock retractable cover that's great but it's waaaay more $$$). I've had Bakflips and hard shell covers too. This tonneau is really a good product :)
I suspect you saw my griped about my factory cover - AND the photos showing how it sagged and my wife saw it flapping on the highway and water pooled on it......... I got jeepcares involved, they pointed me to another online person who I put in contact with a local dealer (not my selling dealer). The service writer (what do they know, anyway - they aren't DOING the work!) argued a bit - and finally another one spoke up and said "yeah, I heard about this, Jeep has a whole online team dedicated to stuff like this" or words to that effect. Anyway, he convined the service writer to follow up and work with the online folks.
They called me later and said they had a star case set up. They ordered a new cover.
In the end, I got a new cover, correctly installed, not messed up and it fits like a glove. I LOVE it.
Even after being rolled up 2 or 3 days I can roll it back and it sits fine. Right now you can't see any sag. Yeah, you can tell where the supports are - duh, that's pretty normal, but NO WATER pooling! And it doesn't flap around. IT stays put, the bed has never been wet (my JT is not a bed wetter) and I like the cover.
It's snug, flat, my level put across it doesn't show big gaps like the original one did.

Several members sent me pics of their proper fitting covers, nice and tight and straight - I think that helped, too, as I showed the dealer AND the online folks the differences between mine and the others.
I am glad I got what I got - it's a good fit and doesn't flap and doesn't pool water and looks tight now. It looks nice, especially since this new one fits proper and flat and the edges actually stay down to help seal it (we had 50-60 mph winds and hellish rains a few weeks ago - baby was out in that - cover didn't pool, didn't lift, bed stayed dry.)

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Bak Revolver X4. No question.

While the retracting ones are awesome they are $$$$ and eat up like 20% of the bed.

The Bak has security rails the whole way down. It fits well, it sits very flush, and it just works. I didn't want a trifold for when it's all the way open, the up against the glass and no back window is jank.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect you saw my griped about my factory cover - AND the photos showing how it sagged and my wife saw it flapping on the highway and water pooled on it......... I got jeepcares involved, they pointed me to another online person who I put in contact with a local dealer (not my selling dealer). The service writer (what do they know, anyway - they aren't DOING the work!) argued a bit - and finally another one spoke up and said "yeah, I heard about this, Jeep has a whole online team dedicated to stuff like this" or words to that effect. Anyway, he convined the service writer to follow up and work with the online folks.
They called me later and said they had a star case set up. They ordered a new cover.
In the end, I got a new cover, correctly installed, not messed up and it fits like a glove. I LOVE it.
Even after being rolled up 2 or 3 days I can roll it back and it sits fine. Right now you can't see any sag. Yeah, you can tell where the supports are - duh, that's pretty normal, but NO WATER pooling! And it doesn't flap around. IT stays put, the bed has never been wet (my JT is not a bed wetter) and I like the cover.
It's snug, flat, my level put across it doesn't show big gaps like the original one did.

Several members sent me pics of their proper fitting covers, nice and tight and straight - I think that helped, too, as I showed the dealer AND the online folks the differences between mine and the others.
I am glad I got what I got - it's a good fit and doesn't flap and doesn't pool water and looks tight now. It looks nice, especially since this new one fits proper and flat and the edges actually stay down to help seal it (we had 50-60 mph winds and hellish rains a few weeks ago - baby was out in that - cover didn't pool, didn't lift, bed stayed dry.)

I'm just glad you can join the I'm-happy-with-my-factory-tonneau-cover club!

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I’ve had my Bak x4 revolver for a week now. I’m very happy with the quality, fit, finish, and especially like the rail. I got confirmation from Bak that the rail is standard for the gladiator, and is designed as an accessory t-slot for cross bar rails such as roof racks. Unfortunately with the way it rolls you won’t be able to have most racks on, and still roll the cover up, but I’ll be ordering rhino rack crossbars to use on the cover for additional storage.

7733AC3E-2A6B-42F5-9429-E4C034361A9D.jpeg
Well I got the Yakima Overhaul HD to work in the T-slots of my Bak Revolver X4. Worked great. It would roll up to the front but you had to force it past the front towers. But decided to switch to Max Modular rack for Overland build.

20200619_091204.jpg

20200618_140420.jpg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well I got the Yakima Overhaul HD to work in the T-slots of my Bak Revolver X4. Worked great. It would roll up to the front but you had to force it past the front towers. But decided to switch to Max Modular rack for Overland build.

Jeep Gladiator Who has a rolling tonneau cover that they love? 20200618_140420

Jeep Gladiator Who has a rolling tonneau cover that they love? 20200618_140420
Like them all, but your last photo really says it all........

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
That's awesome! Could you please elaborate -- what feet are those and did you have to make any modifications? Is the problem with the front towers that they lean inward too much? (surely they are tall enough for the roll to clear.) Why are you switching to the Max? Are you still going to use the X4 with the Max and, if so, are you certain it will work?

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome! Could you please elaborate -- what feet are those and did you have to make any modifications? Is the problem with the front towers that they lean inward too much? (surely they are tall enough for the roll to clear.) Why are you switching to the Max? Are you still going to use the X4 with the Max and, if so, are you certain it will work?
Yes I have the X4 working with the Max right now.
No modifications other then the plastic/rubber feet of the tonneau kit bend up slightly because its longer then it should be. Your options are to trim the rubber feet or just let them cinch down.
I choose to just cinch it down as to provide a bit of support.
Issue with that are the towers are a little harder to slid, but not so much that it's annoying.

20200720_154748.jpg

20200720_154840.jpg

20200720_154827.jpg

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
No modifications other then the plastic/rubber feet of the tonneau kit bend up slightly because its longer then it should be. Your options are to trim the rubber feet or just let them cinch down.
Issue with that are the towers are a little harder to slid, but not so much that it's annoying.
Thanks! I really appreciate the pics.

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland

Jeep Gladiator Who has a rolling tonneau cover that they love? 20200720_154827

Are those the Max Modular Tonneau brackets or did you have them made? I've been wondering how those would fit with the X4.

Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are those the Max Modular Tonneau brackets or did you have them made? I've been wondering how those would fit with the X4.
They are indeed the Max Modular Tonneau brackets. The X4 rails go over the Tonneau brackets.

Gordon M.

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Custom woodworking shop
Vehicle Showcase
Have seen mixed reviews of both hard rolling and soft rolling with either poor fit, or wind flapping. Anyone happy with theirs?
I bought the rugged ridge Armis hard rolling cover and love it. the fit is inside the bed so towards the rear you fall right on the edge of the rail. I bought a roll of 2" neoprene self stick tape 1/8 or 1/4" thick to keep this water tight. you need to overlap this so about 1/2" is visible outside the tonneau rail. Looks fine to me, I wanted to add a rack and still have access to roll the tonneau using so I used the voodoo over tonneau brackets. It doesn't completely let you roll the cover but you can pull it back to gain access. the rails on the rack are removable so this does let you have full access and roll the top as intended.
don't really have a good pic of this, sorry about that.

37's.jpg

37,s.jpg

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I bought the rugged ridge Armis hard rolling cover and love it. the fit is inside the bed so towards the rear you fall right on the edge of the rail. I bought a roll of 2" neoprene self stick tape 1/8 or 1/4" thick to keep this water tight. you need to overlap this so about 1/2" is visible outside the tonneau rail. Looks fine to me, I wanted to add a rack and still have access to roll the tonneau using so I used the voodoo over tonneau brackets. It doesn't completely let you roll the cover but you can pull it back to gain access. the rails on the rack are removable so this does let you have full access and roll the top as intended.
don't really have a good pic of this, sorry about that.

Jeep Gladiator Who has a rolling tonneau cover that they love? 37,s

Jeep Gladiator Who has a rolling tonneau cover that they love? 37,s
I have looked at your posts before and I can’t for the life of me figure out what you’ve got going on here. Looks like a really slick setup.
Do you have more details, pictures.. build thread pending??

Gordon M.

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Custom woodworking shop
Vehicle Showcase
I have looked at your posts before and I can’t for the life of me figure out what you’ve got going on here. Looks like a really slick setup.
Do you have more details, pictures.. build thread pending??
Hi Paul, Thanks. I'm waiting for the final product to be completed, I have a custom cabinet shop and since things have been opening up ( clients Homes ) I've been too busy to finish my fastback, it's all done just in pieces. There are storage boxes gullwing storage doors and max tracks storage yet to be installed.
Will be done soon..

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Jeep Gladiator Who has a rolling tonneau cover that they love? EE09FDFC-47DA-4551-A925-690663C55600

Anybody know a place that can beat this price for a full metal jacket?
Sponsored