Why are the stock wheels so bad?

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I totally agree the stock tires H/T tires on the sports and overland have to go... If I got the sport the plan was to get the wheels powdercoated black. The style does remind me of a classic wrangler and I'm sure that was Jeep's intention. I really like the overland style wheels but again I had to get rid of those tires and go with an A/T. Here's my overland wheel with a 295/70R18 Bridgestone Dueller Revo 3 mounted. After a lot of research this offered the best balance (IMHO) of looks, on/off road handling and snow traction (and weight, price).

tire_wheel.jpg
tire_stack.jpg
I'm looking to do the same with my overland, any photos of them on the truck?
Sponsored

Reactions: DHP

mpinch

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2013 BMW X3 (wifes), 2007 BMW 328XI Coupe, 1998 BMW 328IS Coupe, 2003 Triumph Speed Four
Occupation
Engineer
I'm looking to do the same with my overland, any photos of them on the truck?
Sorry I hate to say, no, as I haven't taken delivery yet... Costco was having a great sale so I had to jump on it. And that extra wheel with mounted tire is going to be my full size spare. Purchased a spare stock rim off ebay.

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Sorry I hate to say, no, as I haven't taken delivery yet... Costco was having a great sale so I had to jump on it. And that extra wheel with mounted tire is going to be my full size spare. Purchased a spare stock rim off ebay.
Ah gotcha. Thanks. I'm a Costco freak too, didn't think to look for the tires there will have to check it out. They didn't have any issue mounting the larger tire on the factory wheel?

mpinch

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2013 BMW X3 (wifes), 2007 BMW 328XI Coupe, 1998 BMW 328IS Coupe, 2003 Triumph Speed Four
Occupation
Engineer
Ah gotcha. Thanks. I'm a Costco freak too, didn't think to look for the tires there will have to check it out. They didn't have any issue mounting the larger tire on the factory wheel?
They didn't have an issue mounting it on the loose wheel. According to Bridgestone specs it falls within the mounting window, 7.5" width is the min wheel width to mount, so I was good. I do expect they'll question the overall fitment and clearance when I bring the truck in for the other four tires, so my plan is to bring them the stock wheels and tires loose off the truck and the new tires to be mounted. It's usually what I do when I buy snow tires for my coupe, since i have multiple sets of rims. As you probably know, Costco alternates their sales between Bridgestone and Michelin every few weeks. Those A/T Duellers looked like a pretty good option with the sale and mounting plus Costcos road hazard warranty. :)

Sponsored

DHP

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland JT
You should be good, I just had mine done there and there were no questions or issues.
20191007_161036.jpg
Any feedback so far on the mileage you’re getting with the 295/70s over stock on the overland and also on road noise? I have an overland and would like to do the same

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
You should be good, I just had mine done there and there were no questions or issues.
20191007_161036.jpg
Looks great. Maybe I missed it in the thread. What size tires are those?

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Does a 35" fit under (spare)?

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Any feedback so far on the mileage you’re getting with the 295/70s over stock on the overland and also on road noise? I have an overland and would like to do the same
I honestly pay almost no attention to mpg, so can't help there. A little more road noise but not significant and the ride is pretty close to stock I'm very pleased with them.

Reactions: DHP

Sponsored

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
After a 2-day roadtrip home from picking her up, swapped in some LE wheels/tires and dramatically changed the look. I would agree it's not really the stock wheels but the factory wimpy tires. If I hadn't found the LE wheels, I would have replaced them with some 33" BFG KO2 just as quickly.

IMG_20190929_181022.jpg

IMG_20190930_101149.jpg

Dr Kel

First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2020 GMC Denali HD, ...
Occupation
Goddess of Unstructured Data
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree the stock tires H/T tires on the sports and overland have to go... If I got the sport the plan was to get the wheels powdercoated black. The style does remind me of a classic wrangler and I'm sure that was Jeep's intention. I really like the overland style wheels but again I had to get rid of those tires and go with an A/T. Here's my overland wheel with a 295/70R18 Bridgestone Dueller Revo 3 mounted. After a lot of research this offered the best balance (IMHO) of looks, on/off road handling and snow traction (and weight, price).

tire_wheel.jpg
tire_stack.jpg
I was all ready to get these. The guy at Costco was pricing them while the other guy called in to Bridgestone only to find out they aren’t available. :brokenhearted:

ItsJustMeBro

First Name
Its
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I realize many, if not most, of the people here will upgrade their wheels. I'm sure FCA realizes that too. But why are the Sport wheels the most boring ugly wheels known to civilized man, and the Overland wheels the the most Honda Accord looking truck wheel/tire combo I've ever seen? Rubicon's are ok, actually stylish and easy to work around for just doing a tire swap. But the god awful Sport and Overland choices make it so hard to look at a stock JT. Am I alone?
I realize this post is quite old but I could not resist replying. YES, the stock wheels are awful and I am shocked that Jeep would put them on ANY vehicle. I ordered my 2021 Gladiator Sport S as I wanted very specific things and not others. For example I had to have the 3pc hard top and the cold weather package, other than those 2 things, I knew I was changing a lot starting with the wheels. I asked the sales person why the wheels are so ugly and he told me its an Emissions thing. Jeep is desperate for emissions credits so they needed to meet reporting requirements with a large number of Gladiators. Not sure if this info is accurate or not but its what I was told.

I IMMEDIATLEY changed:

Wheels / Tires
Antenna
Floor Mats
Removed disgusting stock Gladiator and Sport S decals (more like crackerjack box stickers)

While I have quite a bit more to do to my Gladiator, I can now be a little patient since I made these changes.
Sponsored