Why did you/didn’t you lift your JT?

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
What was the reason you lifted your JT or why didn’t you lift it?

For me, I‘m trying to get my JT ready for some local trails before I challenge myself at MOAB.
Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Ultimately I want a Mopar 2" lift while upgrading my 33's to 35's.

That being said, I'm a baseball and basketball coach and I throw a lot of gear in the bed. I have 2 boys, 10 and 5, so there's usually bikes or other "stuff" in the truck or bed. I'm 6'1 so another 2" in bed height shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I'm wondering if a lift would add extra effort in getting the gear in and out (on a day to day basis). Throw in camping, beach, etc. - we're a pretty active family. Plus my wife is on the short side.

Considering I love the look as-is, I've been holding off on a lift (again, for now).

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I did not lift, but did switch out the 33s for 35s immediately. To me, the JTR sits perfect on 35s without a lift. There have been several articles discussing 35s on Rubicons and that a lift isn't necessary even at full articulation with the sway bar disconnected.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
If you are not going down trails or over obstacles that require the lift, than stock height is fine. I am not going to lift my truck, but will add slightly larger tires down the road.
cheers

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Went to Uwharrie when it was stock and scraped constantly. Mopar 2" and 34's and I only scrape maybe once or twice now.

Sponsored

NorthEast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I added the mopar lift so that I could install 37" tires. To me, 37's just look like the right size tires for the Gladiator.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Why did I lift mine and put 37's on it? Because I think they look goofy stock with the tiny 33" tires on it. Because of the much longer wheelbase, they don't start looking "right" until you hit 35x12.50's with a leveling kit in the front... A 2.5' lift with 37's looks more natural, In my opinion.

JeepTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Why did I lift mine and put 37's on it? Because I think they look goofy stock with the tiny 33" tires on it. Because of the much longer wheelbase, they don't start looking "right" until you hit 35x12.50's with a leveling kit in the front... A 2.5' lift with 37's looks more natural, In my opinion.
Totally agree with this. The stock Sport on 31ish tires looked very goofy to me, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who chooses to stay stock. My JT got lifted before I received my license plates, because it was the only way I would be happy with it. 35s on a Sport or 37s on a Rubicon appear the way the JT should look in my mind, but to each his own

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Didn't lift mine cause there is nothing anywhere within like I think couple days drive that would require a lift. Down here is flat and sand. But I did put 33's on my Sport S because I got them at a dirt cheap price. Once I burn off the rubber on these will put 35's on my truck but doubt I will lift it unless I plan to move somewhere up in the mountains or nearer. Its more of a daily driver and weekend fun machine than rock crawler.

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
So at this point I haven’t decided. There are really 2 reasons to lift:
  1. Looks (and that’s okay)
  2. To get bigger tires on because taller tires mean more ground clearance
With that said, I have a 2.5” and 35’s on my JKUR and a spacer lift with 33’s on my wife’s JKUR. She has followed me and my wheeling buddy (JKUR with 3” and 35’s) on every trail and almost every obstacle. I’m currently happy with the stance of my JTR with only the stock 33’s, but the break over angle will not be as good as my wife’s JKUR. That means the JTR may rub belly on obstacles that my wife’s JKUR doesn’t. So that factors in.

BUT, I am setting the JTR up for overlanding and will have a bed slide with a trail kitchen, AluCab canopy and James Baroud RTT, as well as all of the other camping necessities in the bed. Once all of that is installed I will evaluate how much the suspension squats and make a decision to lift or not at that point. If the squat is less than an inch I may leave as is and see how it goes. More than an inch and I will likely lift and throw on 35’s.

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I have a Mojave and don't want to give up the sweet suspension. After some high speed desert blasts, I feel like the engineers came up with a fantastic product that works out of the box with the stock tire/wheel size and weight.

I don't really trust spacer lifts so I am stuck till I can get a lift with shocks better than what I have and that is going to be $$$. I also think that a few of the aftermarket suspension folks will come out with some Mojave specific hardware that will build on its mission profile. So I will keep the stock stuff until I can commit to 37s, Gears and a sweet suspension. That is going to be a while.

(I may do 35s before then but...)

OP
OP

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
I have a Mojave and don't want to give up the sweet suspension. After some high speed desert blasts, I feel like the engineers came up with a fantastic product that works out of the box with the stock tire/wheel size and weight.

I don't really trust spacer lifts so I am stuck till I can get a lift with shocks better than what I have and that is going to be $$$. I also think that a few of the aftermarket suspension folks will come out with some Mojave specific hardware that will build on its mission profile. So I will keep the stock stuff until I can commit to 37s, Gears and a sweet suspension. That is going to be a while.

Are the Fox shocks on the Mopar lift the same in the Rubicon? What’s different about the shocks in the Mojave? (Starts googling)

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

Why dont you trust spacer lifts? Bad experience or what?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't lift mine cause there is nothing anywhere within like I think couple days drive that would require a lift. Down here is flat and sand. But I did put 33's on my Sport S because I got them at a dirt cheap price. Once I burn off the rubber on these will put 35's on my truck but doubt I will lift it unless I plan to move somewhere up in the mountains or nearer. Its more of a daily driver and weekend fun machine than rock crawler.
Similar here.
Why lift it? I run Rubicon A/T take-offs in the winter, stock Overland tires until those wear out and then will get something more aggressive. But with an Overland high gear ratio, bigger tires are asking for trouble towing anything. And no reason to really lift as it clears things better than my Chevy ever did.
(would like to bring the back end back up as the max tow springs dropped it a bit, 3/4" spacers would do that for me, though)
IMO these trucks look just fine with 33" tires like the Overland comes with or the Rubicon take-offs I run in winter. But the biggest tires I"d go with this gear ratio might be 34"
Sponsored