Sponsored

Why not buy a Centerforce dual friction clutch?

MacJTCanada

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubi
They might all be plastic nowadays. Here's the one from my 2019 GLI. I pulled it when I went stage 2+. But never any problems with it. The clutch in there was similar to the Jeep. Dual mass flywheel. This was from a vehicle with more torque than the Jeep, and it was still plastic. The south bend one I replaced it with was rated to 600 ft lbs and drag duty, and still plastic.
IMG20220617192821.jpg

IMG20220617192823.jpg
Did not know they all switched to platic... Guess I'm just used to older vehicles. This is the first post 06 vehicle I've ever owned. Good to know! I'll stop hating on the plastic then.
But yeah did the math, it's cheaper to get the centerforce clutch anyhow. So here I come to join the club!
Sponsored

MacJTCanada

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubi
Question, you wheel a lot? When you're in 4lo, do you release the clutch going down hill? I know there's a warning in the owners manual about being in 4low with the clutch pressed in coasting. Might just be grasping at straws though. Who knows?

My wife never releases the clutch at lights. Like ever. Always in first gear waiting for it to turn. So I don't think that's a real problem on newer vehicles. I do it to sometimes, if I'm being honest, and it hasn't ever hurt anything (yet). But I'm really careful about releasing the clutch in 4lo after reading that in the manual.

That first batch on the 2020s might have just been crap.
Always off the clutch in a gear. Either holding speed, engine braking, or speeding up. If I have to coast I throw it in neutral!
And yeah, I never hold the clutch at a light. I have a tazer so when I get annoyed with the ess it just gets turned off!

HenrytheDestroyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT
Question, you wheel a lot? When you're in 4lo, do you release the clutch going down hill? I know there's a warning in the owners manual about being in 4low with the clutch pressed in coasting. Might just be grasping at straws though. Who knows?

My wife never releases the clutch at lights. Like ever. Always in first gear waiting for it to turn. So I don't think that's a real problem on newer vehicles. I do it to sometimes, if I'm being honest, and it hasn't ever hurt anything (yet). But I'm really careful about releasing the clutch in 4lo after reading that in the manual.

That first batch on the 2020s might have just been crap.
The more I read, the more concerned I am.

I always shift in neutral and release the clutch at lights. I like to coast on the road coming up to a light, usually in neutral but sometimes in gear with clutch depressed.

am I a bad manual Trans driver ? Uh oh….

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I would personally only worry about it in 4 low.
The more I read, the more concerned I am.

I always shift in neutral and release the clutch at lights. I like to coast on the road coming up to a light, usually in neutral but sometimes in gear with clutch depressed.

am I a bad manual Trans driver ? Uh oh….
I don't do it all the time, but if I'm first at the light, or know I need to take off quickly once it changes, then I leave it in gear. The manual doesn't have a warning against it in 2/4 high gear, just in 4 low.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I would personally only worry about it in 4 low.

I don't do it all the time, like if I'm first at the light, or know I need to take off quickly once it changes, then I leave it in gear. The manual doesn't have a warning against it in 2/4 high gear, just in 4 low.
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what difference it makes what gear the T-case is in. If it's disconnected from the power train via a disengaged clutch, I don't see why it would matter.

Anyone know?

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what difference it makes what gear the T-case is in. If it's disconnected from the power train via a disengaged clutch, I don't see why it would matter.
Don't know, but a guess is that in low range there could be a very high RPM differential between current road speed and gearing. You could instantly over-rev if you let out the clutch at too high of a speed, and the engine's rev limiter may not be able to prevent it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Don't know, but a guess is that in low range there could be a very high RPM differential between current road speed and gearing. You could instantly over-rev if you let out the clutch at too high of a speed, and the engine's rev limiter may not be able to prevent it.
The manual says damage may be done even if the clutch isn't released, or something like that. I don't know why. But I'm not finding out.

MacJTCanada

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubi
The manual says damage may be done even if the clutch isn't released, or something like that. I don't know why. But I'm not finding out.
Honestly because computers, the engine might go into a slightly different tune in 4Low. I have noticed it can sound different in low compared to high breaking trail in snow

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
We're gettin a bit off topic here, but since all the CF clutches are backordered and there ain't shit else to talk about....
The synchros can only handle so much. Even with the clutch depressed, you'll notice you not only CAN'T jam it into 1st at 50mph, but the dash will advise you that you're making a poor life decision at that point.
Same situation in 4lo, except now it's at like 20mph, and the nanny can't warn you. Yes, if you manage to get it in gear and dump the clutch, it will drop a TON of energy into your drive train, but first, you'll be straining the synchronizers heavily.

Sponsored

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Clutch disc moment of inertia dominates synchro loads but they also have to sync the entire counter shaft and all gears meshed with it. To make it even worse 1/2 syncro torque is reduced by the gear ratios. This is why gear lightening and small clutch discs help so much.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Not sure what transmission this is but this layout is a lot better than typical ones with all synchros on the output shaft. Note the 3/4 and 6 clusters are decoupled from counter shaft reducing the inertia 1/2 synchros have to handle. 5th does not contribute since is straight through.
Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a Centerforce dual friction clutch? 1655902209226

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
I just got notification the Centerforce clutch that i ordered back in Oct2021 has a ship date of 30 Aug 2022 with arrival on 2 Sept 22.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I just got notification the Centerforce clutch that i ordered back in Oct2021 has a ship date of 30 Aug 2022 with arrival on 2 Sept 22.
Nice! You are gonna love it! I just got the upgraded hydraulics last month. Haven’t had any time to install. Are the hydraulics coming with your kit? My gut tells me factory Hydraulics are part of the issue that caused a complete redesign.

3C1C01B4-282C-4CFC-A5FE-4C7E9B05C3E8.jpeg

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
yes the new hydraulics are with the kit. in conversation with Centerforce, we have been in discussion about the hydraulics for sometime and it was interesting in that i had come up with an idea the same time they did about the hydraulics being most of the problem. my intent is to do the install mid sept because i have to rebuild the front end on my mother's mini van because the wheel bearing are going bad. so i am going to replace struts, bearings, cushions, ball joints and a few other things.
Sponsored