Why the High Altitude?

jonb06

First Name
Jon B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
New to forum and proud owner of 2021 JT Gladiator High Altitude.

Had it for about two months, but had been watching Gladiators since they released and fell in love with the High Altitude trim. Why the hate? It was tough to find any info about the trim and when you did, it was typically a gripe about a Jeep on 20s.

Looking for other HA owners to chime in on why it was the option for them for potential buyers.

I live in the city and plan to do little to no rock crawling whatsoever. I might hit a mild trail enroute to a camp site or outdoor activity (we do enjoy the Indiana Dunes from time to time), but 90% of my JTs use is a daily driver in the city. We get a fair amount of snow in Winter and I'm coming from a Challenger that took a BEATING on the street with potholes and lots of bottoming out on uneven pavement. I love the "rugged luxury" of the HA, and the ability to do/go wherever I need to. It's been the perfect "Dadmobile" for hauling all the stuff that also gets looks because its so polished. A few mods (MBRP exhaust, antennae, tonneau cover and a leveling kit) and I'm completely satisfied and love being in it. Can wait to peel off panels for the summer and beach days with the family. Why did you get your HA?

Jeep Gladiator Why the High Altitude? IMG_1202
Sponsored

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a High Altitude, but for me I don't even think it's the 20s that push me away as more as it is the painted bumper. IMO just doesn't look good. And then of course the 20s aren't too practical for off-road which is the most typical use and "look" for most Jeeps even if you don't "off-road" per se. Although I do get your reasoning and lack of off-roading for you. I too am a city driver so I understand although I do try to still get mine off road from time to time and I will say, I've been very surprised by its performance doing so. It's not the full reason, but a big part of the reason I went with my Overland trim (which I'm totally content with and feel like I did not settle for it unlike some). I knew before buying I wanted an Overland. But I still have made my Overland what I've wanted it to be (performance and looks wise).

So for me, I wouldn't call it hate for the HA, but my main dislike for the trim is the painted bumper 1st, (and not to say I don't like painted options because I have painted fenders and think painted hard tops look great, I just dont think a painted bumper looks good). Then the 20s are a secondary No for me.

The only trim of Jeep I feel like the dope boys would push.

Last edited:

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I like the looks of the HA (but didn't get one). I acquired an Overland in Feb. 2020 and have had a blast with it - and found that it is just as capable as other Jeeps on every trail and excursion I have gone on so far (recognizing I also don't plan on doing any rock crawling). I did a level kit, slapped 35s on the OEM wheel, and have done a handful of other mods, but love it - as you should love your HA.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I went with an HA because I like paint matched stuff and I wanted a lot of options.

I thought it was a good deal for all the options you get with the HA package (LEDs, leather, wide axles, etc).

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I donā€™t like the 20s, the painted bumper, or the painted top. Truth be told, I donā€™t even like the painted fender flares that HAs and my Sport S both have. It makes it look a little less rugged in my opinion.

That being said, thatā€™s all in the eye of the beholder. I can see plenty of reasons of why some people like the High Altitude.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I donā€™t like the 20s, the painted bumper, or the painted top. Truth be told, I donā€™t even like the painted fender flares that HAs and my Sport S both have. It makes it look a little less rugged in my opinion.

That being said, thatā€™s all in the eye of the beholder. I can see plenty of reasons of why some people like the High Altitude.
Nice thing about painted flares is they do not fade like the others do.

Phatmexxx

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT High Altitude, 2001TJ Sport
Occupation
Retired USAF J3D1X3
Vehicle Showcase
I have always hated the excessive amount of plastic and black fiber glass my TJ had. And its even worse on the newer models. Black fenders look like large garbage lids.
I love that Jeep decided to paint the plastic on the HA. My only complaint is that the $500 Auto-4WD was included with the trim. I have also always wanted a custom ECD Defender 130. The me the HA is very close to it.

JTHA.jpg

2021JTHAInterior.jpg

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Had it for about two months, but had been watching Gladiators since they released and fell in love with the High Altitude trim. Why the hate? It was tough to find any info about the trim and when you did, it was typically a gripe about a Jeep on 20s.
Congrats to you.
As to the "hate" of the HA, one thing to keep in mind is that this is a forum. Probably 30 plus percent live for the opportunity to gripe and complain. Some would bitch about it if you gave them a $50 bill,. :LOL:
My dad used to say, "Some folks would bellyache if you hung 'em with a new rope." Keep that in mind when you are on any forum.

Congrats again, and enjoy your Gladdy.............. :)

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Point 1: Iā€™ve never understood why anybody cares what other people think, especially online where anyone can say anything to anyone.

Point 2:
As for me, I hate the rims, they look stupid. Itā€™s the total opposite of what a Jeep is whether you take it off road or not. It just looks like something youā€™d see in a rap video lol.

Point 3: Only worry about point 1.

Otis89

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Gas Utility
We personally love the High Altitude trim. If our dealer had one when we got the Overland, it would have been an option.
The HA package basically has everything checked, but on an Overland trim. There are still some stand alone options to add, but only a few.
Plus, the HA trim is more than a color matched top, bumpers and fender flares. The door handles and mirrors are matched as well. Plus, you get cool turn signals on the mirrors. LEDs. Alpine 8.4. Etc...And the leather is pretty awesome.
I've seen a couple with 35son the factory 20s with 2" mopar lift. They have a very definite upscale look.
I would trade our Overland for the right color HA as an upgrade. Enjoy.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a High Altitude, but for me I don't even think it's the 20s that push me away as more as it is the painted bumper. IMO just doesn't look good. And then of course the 20s aren't too practical for off-road which is the most typical use and "look" for most Jeeps even if you don't "off-road" per se. Although I do get your reasoning and lack of off-roading for you. I too am a city driver so I understand although I do try to still get mine off road from time to time and I will say, I've been very surprised by its performance doing so. It's not the full reason, but a big part of the reason I went with my Overland trim (which I'm totally content with and feel like I did not settle for it unlike some). I knew before buying I wanted an Overland. But I still have made my Overland what I've wanted it to be (performance and looks wise).

So for me, I wouldn't call it hate for the HA, but my main dislike for the trim is the painted bumper 1st, (and not to say I don't like painted options because I have painted fenders and think painted hard tops look great, I just dont think a painted bumper looks good). Then the 20s are a secondary No for me.

The only trim of Jeep I feel like the dope boys would push.
There's just no place to "off road" within even hours of me. The 20s would work if mine came with them. They are more for performance than off-road, yes. But I've got 24,000 miles on mine and the furthest off-road I've been has been through my yard or off the road a bit to get a guy out of the ditch. It's a truck to me, primary reason to buy was "it's a freakin' truck" and I wanted a new truck that was smaller than my huge Chevy was.
Since I drive and drive fast those wheels would work great for me. More trucks around here are sold with them or have them once bought as owners switch. Even the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s are often getting the bigger wheels now.

It's a TRUCK. It's become my daily driver. I live in Iowa - off-road is through the neighbor's bean field or into the woods for some deer hunting. Don't need 17" wheels with 40" tires for that! And the bigger tires suck in snow.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I hate painted fenders and all the options on the High Altitude and the 20's. I'm a less wheel more tire kinda guy, better for off road driving and for plowing through snow. Also you don't have to worry about the fenders getting chipped up with black fenders like the painted ones do when you add larger tires with poke. If you don't want them to fade, get back to black and wipe them down about every 8 weeks or bedline them like I did.

Jeep Gladiator Why the High Altitude? PXL_20211225_194447821.MP

PXL_20211225_194447821.MP.jpg
Sponsored