Wind Deflector for Roof when Freedom Panels are Off

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I know the reviews suck. This is more of a proof of concept.
Sponsored

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I looked for the same thing a month or so back and the only product I remembering finding was that one from Wade. Like @ACAD_Cowboy said, the reviews sucked so I didnā€™t waste my money. I was surprised at the lack of wind deflectors for the Jeep, considering the number of Jeep aftermarket companies.

MilesAH

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 TJ. ā€˜07 JKU. ā€˜09 JKUR. Now a ā€˜21 JTRD
Occupation
HVACR Service
This weekend was the first one with the Freedom Panels off all weekend for me. Above 40 mph, the inside of my Gladiator was like a wind tunnel, bad enough so anything on the seats front and back without any heft to it was picked up and wanted to fly out the top or the side window when it was open. Was never that bad on my 4 door Wrangler sport.

Anyone know if they sell a wind deflector that can go on the roof right in front of the opening, or like you put on the front hood?
Have you tried adjusting the rear windows at different amount of open. I have had luck in the past by doing that

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I had the entire top off this weekend and couldnā€™t believe the difference in air. It was way more peaceful with the whole top off. I was doing over 50mph and never worried about my hat flying off. I have to put my hat in the console when I only take the freedom panels off.

TahoeJohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ, Wrangler Hard Rock, Patriot
Not sure what post you read, guy is just asking a question (I don't see any "why did I" comment).

I don't ride with just my Freedom Panels off mostly because it's noisier (to me at least ) than having the entire top/door off. Opening the rear slider does help, but I prefer going completely topless.

To answer the OP, they DO make them for JK's, but haven't seen them for the JL/JT. Not sure if you could make it work. Just search Wrangler Top Deflector.
I agree in that he was just ASKING, not complaining. I have 3 current Jeeps and owned 5, but my Gladiator with light bar is pretty darn loud. Came to this thread for suggestions to minimize wind noise on freeway.

Let's chill on the disparaging posts.

Sponsored

Redruby

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I made my own wind deflector for the gladiator after installing the Alu Cab, I have a soft top and after the Alu Cab install the wind turbulence on the soft top was unbearable, my deflector reduced the turbulence by 90-95% so now itā€™s tolerable to drive

93D00452-BB2A-484A-B4B3-911DFBDE3C2F.jpeg

FDAD4FDD-67BA-4343-9A95-1445CA12526E.jpeg

4FD0F160-CBAB-4F60-A9A4-CDB4B0E6C52D.jpeg

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Oldschool trucker vibes, I like it

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have to agree. Having the freedom panels off is actually beginning to annoy me unless I don't plan on going over 25mph.
Sunrider is perfect for this. I flip mine closed for long interstate stretches, then back open at 20mph still on the exit ramp.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Two thoughts.

My Jeep is pretty pleasant inside, even at 80 mph, with the top completely off. It is noticeably more turbulent with the freedom panels only.

It would be nice if something like that helped with hwy mpg when the top isnā€™t on with the freedom panels attached. I didnā€™t buy my Gladiator for fuel efficiency, but itā€™s a significant difference with the top off or freedom panels out. Itā€™s 4-5 mpg difference. Thatā€™s significant.

Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
For those of us with the Freedom Panels, I have found that opening the rear window (the slider) helps reduce interior turbulence. I have the SunRider top on mine and just opening that slider made a big difference. Even with all the windows down, I was pleasantly surprised how much a difference having the slider open too.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
For those of us with the Freedom Panels, I have found that opening the rear window (the slider) helps reduce interior turbulence. I have the SunRider top on mine and just opening that slider made a big difference. Even with all the windows down, I was pleasantly surprised how much a difference having the slider open too.
Came here to say just that. Open the back window whenever the freedom panels are off. Turbulence gone.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I just drive mine naked.. Lock my center console and my glove box. The empty holster on the tunnel is a pretty good deterrent.

But, open the back window in the roof. It should cut down on the cavitation and mess.
I have noticed that with panels off, lowering or cracking windows helps....back window really helps.

Heard the new Supra has the same issue, can't drive it with windows down due to the cavitation.
Sponsored