Sponsored

Windshield strength

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Thinking ahead. I’ve read a lot about the Jeeps ability to crack it’s windshield by virtue of its upright stance. (It’s what makes it a Jeep!)
Seeing that a lot of peeps can go through 3 replacements depending on the terrain they take their rigs and some of our country’s crappy roads just going to work.... does or has anyone heard if the Mopar peeps are going to make the Gorilla glass available to the JT. I see it was available for the Wrangler and
Quadratec has it listed on their web.
Just curious. I’d go for it if I had a
crack occur.
Cheers
Sponsored

LowOnCash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Thinking ahead. I’ve read a lot about the Jeeps ability to crack it’s windshield by virtue of its upright stance. (It’s what makes it a Jeep!)
Seeing that a lot of peeps can go through 3 replacements depending on the terrain they take their rigs and some of our country’s crappy roads just going to work.... does or has anyone heard if the Mopar peeps are going to make the Gorilla glass available to the JT. I see it was available for the Wrangler and
crack occur.
Cheers
If you’re breaking windshields you need to find a better road!

OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Can’t agree more. It just seems that this gets discussed a lot. Just curious about the Gorilla glass option.
I’ve owned cars of all types for over 35 yrs.
I’ve never had to repair or replace a windshield except for a factory defect on my Grand Cherokee. It had areas of cloudiness
caught between the laminate.
Just gathering info.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Can’t agree more. It just seems that this gets discussed a lot. Just curious about the Gorilla glass option.
I’ve owned cars of all types for over 35 yrs.
I’ve never had to repair or replace a windshield except for a factory defect on my Grand Cherokee. It had areas of cloudiness
caught between the laminate.
Just gathering info.
And I’ve had to repair or replace my windshield 3 times in 2 years. Maybe I should move to your town, cause my NY taxes aren’t going toward road improvement that’s for sure.
Love the gorilla glass idea, btw. Maybe because my audi’s Glass is such crap

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Congrats on your first Jeep today. Enjoy it, but make sure to spend time admiring the OEM windshield..............before its cracked.

Sponsored

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I've had to replace the windshield both times that I took long road trips in my JK. It wasn't from the trails. It was from rocks getting kicked up on the highway. Perfectly good roads, they just weren't 100% clear of small rocks.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
If you're living the low speed suburban lifestyle that the sweepers run on while you sleep you may never get a windshield.

But if you spend even a small amount of time going where a Jeep belongs, you're going to get a windshield or 3.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
crack occur.
Cheers
Just to help you out, I have had 4, yes FOUR windshield replacements since the mid 60's. I have put as much as 100,00k miles on my Jeeps, and have driven them in almost every state in the US, most of the Interstate system, from San Deigo to BC and back on PCH, from Canada down to Key West and over to Brownsville Tx and back...

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
If you're living the low speed suburban lifestyle that the sweepers run on while you sleep you may never get a windshield.

But if you spend even a small amount of time going where a Jeep belongs, you're going to get a windshield or 3.
The interstate?

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I think most common sense people avoid the drive behind the construction waste or dump trucks on the highways to decrease the likelihood of getting a cracked windshield. Then there is just complete randomness and odds catching up.

Cracked my windshield in less than 5 days of ownership in nothing but ordinary interstate vehicle traffic. Nothing avoidable other than just being in the wrong place at the wrong time and owning a brick on wheels.

20190619_144908.jpg

DanOnTheCob

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I think most common sense people avoid the drive behind the construction waste or dump trucks on the highways to decrease the likelihood of getting a cracked windshield. Then there is just complete randomness and odds catching up.

Cracked my windshield in less than 5 days of ownership in nothing but ordinary interstate vehicle traffic. Nothing avoidable other than just being in the wrong place at the wrong time and owning a brick on wheels.

20190619_144908.jpg
Ouch, isn’t there like a protection film or something out there?

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
The interstate will definitely get you a windshield if you spend much time on it.
I never got one on interstate and I have driven most interstates in the US. All 4 of mine have occurred in the city, 2 of them were bouncers that hit my windshield.

How about this: I pull into a windshield place for my appt to get it replaced. In a few, they finish and I pull out, going left into the center turn lane to ease into traffic. Big dump goes by and a rock bounces out and hits my windshield, shattering it, I make a left back into the shop, guy shakes his head, and said never seen that I will warranty it for you, he did and I was back on the streets 30 min later.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I never got one on interstate and I have driven most interstates in the US. All 4 of mine have occurred in the city, 2 of them were bouncers that hit my windshield.

How about this: I pull into a windshield place for my appt to get it replaced. In a few, they finish and I pull out, going left into the center turn lane to ease into traffic. Big dump goes by and a rock bounces out and hits my windshield, shattering it, I make a left back into the shop, guy shakes his head, and said never seen that I will warranty it for you, he did and I was back on the streets 30 min later.
There are no guarantees that you will or will not.

My 2016 Ram 2500 has 115k on it and is on its 4th windshield, all three broken happened on interstate, one in Arkansas 2 in Louisiana, the 2017 JKR has 45k on the clock and is on its second the original glass was broken before the license plates came in, 2015 Rav4 has 55K on it no broken glass, 2014 Elantra lives in Houston I quit counting how many tires and windshields I have put on/in that car.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
There are no guarantees that you will or will not.

My 2016 Ram 2500 has 115k on it and is on its 4th windshield, all three broken happened on interstate, one in Arkansas 2 in Louisiana, the 2017 JKR has 45k on the clock and is on its second the original glass was broken before the license plates came in, 2015 Rav4 has 55K on it no broken glass, 2014 Elantra lives in Houston I quit counting how many tires and windshields I have put on/in that car.
It is luck of the draw, no more, no less.

In Sep '84 I rolled out of Dallas and rolled back in May of '87, racking up $136,000 mi of business travel that took me to all but a few states in the US. You can only imagine how much was Interstate travel to rack up that many miles on that Jeep. Never cracked a windshield. Pure luck!
Sponsored