OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
C’mon Lady Luck
Thanks for sharing the stories.
I see now that..yeah pretty much a crap shoot. Ok I’m all in. Lay those odds on me dealer! :)
Sponsored

Bomber27

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Durango Brass Monkey, Jeep Cherokee 2001, Dodge Stratus, Wrangler Unlimited
Never had ceramic coating on a vehicle.

I have seen to cover paint, wheels and glass.

Does this help regarding protective film?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I’ve seen windshield protection films, not unlike hurricane film for your home windows. For most vehicles it does a great job of stopping putting and peppering. For us it will do that plus provide a degree of protection against bullseyes and cracking as well. It’s basically heavy weight film that has some compressibility to decelerate big rocks before they impact the glass.

We don’t benefit from the strength of the compound curve most car and truck glass has so I wouldn’t be shocked if our glass is stiffer as a result. The common folk wisdom is that US auto glass is stiffer and harder to resist peppering at the cost of cracking while European glass is softer and more compliant to better survive object damage at high speeds and the stresses of warp factor autobahn but at the cost of being pitted and peppered more easily.

I’ve never fully bought into it, sounds far too convenient. I will say that my German cars never had any cracks of unknown origin but I also have never had a cracking problem on any of the cars, American, Japanese or German so theres that too.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Anyone think the hood deflector would help at all?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thinking ahead. I’ve read a lot about the Jeeps ability to crack it’s windshield by virtue of its upright stance. (It’s what makes it a Jeep!)
Seeing that a lot of peeps can go through 3 replacements depending on the terrain they take their rigs and some of our country’s crappy roads just going to work.... does or has anyone heard if the Mopar peeps are going to make the Gorilla glass available to the JT. I see it was available for the Wrangler and
Quadratec has it listed on their web.
Just curious. I’d go for it if I had a
crack occur.
Cheers
Four Wranglers and a Gladiator and I've never had a cracked or chipped windshield. And I live near a rock quarry with dump trucks on the roads everywhere.

OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Anyone think the hood deflector would help at all?
I purchased this for future use. Mostly for
insect deflection, see if it helps with the occasional gravel. Plus it looks neat and chunky....hopefully not clunky or off it comes.
I did see one in person and it looked good, it was on a Gladiator.

82A743E2-0DDC-45E6-A1E8-D19B83D75845.png

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
I owned a TJ for 14 years in 3 states, KY, IN, CO. I probably put 8 windshields on that Jeep ... 2 in KY, 2 in IN, and at least 4 in CO. Not a single one was from off-roading, just a rock kicked up on the interstate or other road and by the next day, full crack either top to bottom, or more common, about 3 inches above the dash, all the way across the bottom. I don’t drive behind trucks either, sometimes rocks get thrown 3 lanes across traffic. I’m on 3rd windshield in 5 yrs on my Pilot ... Colorado is notorious for cracked windshields. Insurance in Kentucky replaced them for free, same insurer laughed when I tried to add windshield replacement in Colorado (not offered).

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I personally believe just say NO to CRACK.

If go back and read my post #15 it was an interesting time in my life, I had a chance to do a lot of travel and not fly except when I lived in Seattle and worked in Cal, then I commented back and forth.

You see I don't like to fly, don't enjoy it, that said I am a 1 Million mile flyer of AA and over a million on other airlines combined.

Anyhow in the time back in the 80's I drove 136k miles an interesting thing happened a very RARE instance. Just before/after you get to Kingston, Tenn, on I 40 you cross a river, a rather large one. I crossed the river heading E in on my journey and I hear a WAP, so I pull over to look at the grille on my Jeep and I had struck a bird, bird was dead and that was the only damage.

Many, many moons later I am heading W on I 40 and cross that same river when I hear a WAP! I pull over, look at the front of my Jeep and I had struck a bird, bird was dead, I took it out of the grille of my Jeep and continued on.

I am guessing this is a RARE event!

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking ahead. I’ve read a lot about the Jeeps ability to crack it’s windshield by virtue of its upright stance. (It’s what makes it a Jeep!)
Seeing that a lot of peeps can go through 3 replacements depending on the terrain they take their rigs and some of our country’s crappy roads just going to work.... does or has anyone heard if the Mopar peeps are going to make the Gorilla glass available to the JT. I see it was available for the Wrangler and
Quadratec has it listed on their web.
Just curious. I’d go for it if I had a
crack occur.
Cheers
For what it is worth, the last insurance data I heard showed no significant improvement with Gorilla glass. But it is also possible there was just not enough data yet.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I’ve seen windshield protection films, not unlike hurricane film for your home windows. For most vehicles it does a great job of stopping putting and peppering. For us it will do that plus provide a degree of protection against bullseyes and cracking as well. It’s basically heavy weight film that has some compressibility to decelerate big rocks before they impact the glass.

We don’t benefit from the strength of the compound curve most car and truck glass has so I wouldn’t be shocked if our glass is stiffer as a result. The common folk wisdom is that US auto glass is stiffer and harder to resist peppering at the cost of cracking while European glass is softer and more compliant to better survive object damage at high speeds and the stresses of warp factor autobahn but at the cost of being pitted and peppered more easily.

I’ve never fully bought into it, sounds far too convenient. I will say that my German cars never had any cracks of unknown origin but I also have never had a cracking problem on any of the cars, American, Japanese or German so theres that too.
After replacing my windshield with a new Mopar one, I already found 3 little hits on it. So, a few weeks ago I installed Racing Optics protective film on my windshield. It has 3 layers with 2 tear offs. It has been used in racing for years. Optically, it is fantastic, and I am super excited about the protection. It also seems super hard to scratch. So far, I am super happy. Here is a link to my install and pics. So far, I think it is fantastic and the peace of mind is great ! The technical help and explanations at Racing Optics Jeep are 1st rate.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/anybody-got-gorilla-glass.23797/page-3#post-516872

link to Racing Optics
https://www.Racingopticsjeep.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-tough-formit-hood-protector-2018-jl.html
They don’t list the textured any longer, but do list a smooth version.
How has this performed for you? Does it keep off the bugs?
OK, prolly going to jinx myself here. No chips so far & while on the interstates I think it does a reasonable good job with regard to the insects.
Prolly the same amount as on my old F150 with the raked back windscreen.
I never had a deflector on the F150.
Your results may vary ;)

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
OK, prolly going to jinx myself here. No chips so far & while on the interstates I think it does a reasonable good job with regard to the insects.
Prolly the same amount as on my old F150 with the raked back windscreen.
I never had a deflector on the F150.
Your results may vary ;)
I wonder if the spray wash pattern is influenced by the deflector... if the deflector works it should be al least as good coverage at 70 as when you are sitting still. I don’t have a deflector and the spray only seems to go 2/3s up the windshield at 70.
Sponsored