www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
After all the snow, ice, and road salt. Its time to check all the stuff you spent money on. Dont let it corrode, service it yourself. I wish I had done this sooner. The best tools I have found have been a grease gun, marine grade grease (very sticky), and some old fashion elbow grease. You can never be too careful and there is always time to save your parts from turning to rust. Let me know what you guys think.

Brandon

Sponsored

Reactions: aai
OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
That fluid film stuff is awesome at keeping that rust down but man that stuff stinks. As you said it also makes everything messy to work on. I would maybe go back and make sure that fluid film is hitting all the nuts and bolts, some other parts that are important but would never go full spray on the truck. Its just nasty stuff in my opinion.

What is everyone else using?

Reactions: Mac

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Canola oil was refined from rapeseeds and used during WW2 as a Naval grease and oil. At the end of that event, Canada had a surplus so CANadian Oil, Low Acid oil was refined even further to remove the stench and sold to the public as a lard substitute. (not in this house)Buy some canola spray and apply to the exposed bits. Canola is on my list of non consumables but works great as a film protectant. Bel-Ray makes the best, IMO, saltwater proof grease. Cheers.

Speedy_12139

First Name
Kenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500, 2011 BMW 335i, (Potental) '21 Rubicon
Occupation
Construction & Renovations
That fluid film stuff is awesome at keeping that rust down but man that stuff stinks.
I can live with the smell for a few days, a couple times a year. If it means its protecting my "investment" for as long as I possibly can....

Sponsored

Don Gesualdi

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter
Absolutely, fluid film all the way. I had great luck with it on my last truck and coated the gladiator as soon as i got it! The new formula doesn't stink and comes in natural or black color!!

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
We have our vehicles Krowned every other year. They get the interior body panels by drilling and plugging, frame interior, etc. They recommend yearly but I've got a case of Krown and perform touch ups on rust prone areas every spring. We run our our SXS in the winter and the Krown has kept it looking brand new.

Here are a few shots of our 2016 Golf R from last year. We live in the Poconos and (especially on local roads) they throw just about anything they can on the roads. Salt, sand, char/anti-skid, bromine all of it.

Notice the plugs in the body panels. This prevents rusting out from the inside. They have a 360° 6' wand they use to get down in there. If available in your area, check em' out. Our vehicles are $130 per treatment and like I said, we do it every other year. Come resale time, folks are stunned at the undercarriage of our vehicles 100% of the time and it makes working on the vehicles far less painful. Nuts & bolts are never seized up and wiring harnesses are never brittle.

Jeep Gladiator Winterize and Service your Jeep Steering and Suspension before it corrodes drivers_body_panel

Jeep Gladiator Winterize and Service your Jeep Steering and Suspension before it corrodes drivers

Jeep Gladiator Winterize and Service your Jeep Steering and Suspension before it corrodes rear_center

Jeep Gladiator Winterize and Service your Jeep Steering and Suspension before it corrodes rear_left

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Another vote for Fluid Film and/or Woolwax. Been using both products for the last 5 years on all my vehicles with a annual reapplication every fall.

Invested in the professional applicator kit and gallon of fluid film will get me two liberal applications easily if not more. I agree it makes working under the vehicle a little messy but the positive trade off of keeping rust at bay is worth it.

The smell is a love or hate and will vary person to person. I do not mind it but my wife hates it. After about a week of a fresh application, 95% of the smell is gone from my experience.

Last edited:

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I have used fluid film alot and it does work but I don't like the molasses like film it turns into, so what I think is a better product now that I have been using for several years now is ACF-50
What is the residue like, then? I use FF religiously and have learned to just deal with the coating - I see it as proof something is working now.

Come resale time, folks are stunned at the undercarriage of our vehicles 100% of the time and it makes working on the vehicles far less painful. Nuts & bolts are never seized up and wiring harnesses are never brittle.
That is impressive. What are they using (ish)? Is there like a noticeable film at all? I just looked and the closest place to me is mid-Michigan, though.

Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
That is impressive. What are they using (ish)? Is there like a noticeable film at all? I just looked and the closest place to me is mid-Michigan, though.
It's supposedly a natural chemical, there is not really a film, more like a glossy coating. I learned about them because a lot of fleet vehicles in Canada are treated yearly. Not too big in the states. Visually and from a feel standpoint, it reminds me of engine dressing only it lasts. My closest Krown is over an hour. My wife and I pack up lunch for the little ones and bring 2 vehicles at a time. Application takes about an hour, no smell but the body panels weep for a few days (I love that, some considering it annoying). The distance is another reason I picked up a case of spray cans, it's relatively cheap and allows us to skip a season easily. Here is the krown site.

If you go, make sure their Krown applications get good reviews!

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
What is the residue like, then? I use FF religiously and have learned to just deal with the coating - I see it as proof something is working now.
ACF-50 is oily when it goes on but will dry to a clear film. Fluid film works so I am not knocking it by no means. I have used it many times with aircraft and on many other things including the Jeep, but you say you see it as "proof" something is working while "dealing" with the residue. ACF-50's proof is in the results without dealing with the same residue of fluid film.

We live in two different climates so maybe fluid film is better suited for you, that would be something you would need to decide, but as for me and where I live ACF-50 has been proven to work just as good as fluid film without the mess. Its extremely easy to apply and I just see it as part of my maintenance to keep up my jeep.

It is used in Aircraft maintenance and a lot of motorcycle guys that drive a lot in the weather use it to up keep their bikes. Its also good on electrical connections. Anyhow, I have no affiliation ACF-50 except that I like the product and thought I would share.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Wow!

""ACF-50 is a state-of-the-art compound for controlling corrosion on aircraft electrical and avionics systems and airframes. ACF-50 is designed for owners of strut equipped Piper aircraft to comply with new Piper bulletin 5280C requiring lift strut inspection.

ACF-50 kills the corrosion process with just one application and will last for 24 months. Microswitches, cannon plugs, and relays will remain corrosion free. Plus, ACF-50 will easily free seized nuts, screws and bolts. ACF-50 is qualified under Mil-C-81309E, and manufactured under ISO 9000 Certified Processes. ACF-50 holds written OEM approvals from: Gulfstream, Bombardier, ATR Regional Transport, Douglas/Boeing Helicopter, Bell/Textron, Robinson, Enstrom, Sikorsky, MD Helicopters, Schweitzer, Hiller, British Aerospace, Concorde Battery, Raytheon, Piper, Cessna, Pilatus, Beech, Van's, Extra, Air Tractor, Lake, Rolls-Royce, Britten-Norman, Learjet, McDonnell Douglas, and Canadair. Try ACF-50. You will truly be amazed at the results"".
Sponsored