• Total voters

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hey folks Iā€™m really sorry that I brought up this whole liability and possible traffic tickets by an officer wanting to make his or her monthly quota. But hey thatā€™s what the forum is all about, discussing the issues. Hope everyone makes out ok with their front bumpers. In case you have problems with either of these 2 issues then please blame it on the plywood.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Hey folks Iā€™m really sorry that I brought up this whole liability and possible traffic tickets by an officer wanting to make his or her monthly quota. But hey thatā€™s what the forum is all about, discussing the issues. Hope everyone makes out ok with their front bumpers. In case you have problems with either of these 2 issues then please blame it on the plywood.
Most people (i assume) won't be worried. "Mod it, and deal with the consequences if they ever come up."

But it is a possibility to create some issues for folks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
ugh.....my wife likes the redrock 4x4 crawler and so do I from a head-on view, but the side view is weird, its like half a bumper, might be why it only weighs 63 lbs.
j116325-jl_alt3-obj-car-color-250-250-250-gloss-0-rs-k-42-182-134-jpg.jpg

Jeep Gladiator Wouldn't you know it, my son likes big hoops......bumpers {filename}

The other one i'm thinking of is the smittybilt src gen2, but holly balls, its 155 lbs........am I fricken nuts to put that on my vehicle? Saw a photo of a guy on a jk forum that got into an accident with the XRC, which is like this SRC without the side hoops, he said he only broke an axle in the accident, you can see his jeep in the background.
Jeep Gladiator Wouldn't you know it, my son likes big hoops......bumpers {filename}

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
anybody got advice on the 155lb smittybilt src?
No advice, juts an opinion..... I'm not a fan of tube bumpers as I don't feel they provide enough frontal protection in the event of a crash. I much prefer to have a super duty 1/4 thick plate heavy ass hulk smasher out there

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No advice, juts an opinion..... I'm not a fan of tube bumpers as I don't feel they provide enough frontal protection in the event of a crash. I much prefer to have a super duty 1/4 thick plate heavy ass hulk smasher out there
Doesn't the smittybilt have both? Or do you mean have the plate go all the way to the fenders as well instead of the tubes?

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
curious, the expedition one bumper says its compatible with 10,000 lb winch. Most of the bumpers i've looked at were compatible with 12,000lb winches. Why wouldn't it be compatible with 12k winch? Plate area not big enough?

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Well coming from a "16" JKUR-HR with the 10th Anv steel bumper with wings. I'm glad my JT Rubicon did not come with the 3 piece bumper. The first mod I did was put the Smitty XRC stubby bumper on it. I got it on sale at $400 and the thing is really built solid. Heard lots about the paint on Smitty's but that is easy to keep touching up. You're going to have to anyway unless you're just a mall crawler.

The Jeep steel bumper I never took the wings off. It's just another PITA when you go off road. You still need to buy a winch plate to mount a winch in it and really aftermarket bumpers just plain look better too.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well coming from a "16" JKUR-HR with the 10th Anv steel bumper with wings. I'm glad my JT Rubicon did not come with the 3 piece bumper. The first mod I did was put the Smitty XRC stubby bumper on it. I got it on sale at $400 and the thing is really built solid. Heard lots about the paint on Smitty's but that is easy to keep touching up. You're going to have to anyway unless you're just a mall crawler.

The Jeep steel bumper I never took the wings off. It's just another PITA when you go off road. You still need to buy a winch plate to mount a winch in it and really aftermarket bumpers just plain look better too.
nice, i do like those smitty bumpers, hey you're in WI! me too.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜00 LR Disco II, ā€˜17 Toyota Sienna
Iā€™m planning to get the AEV bumper for mine. Theyā€™re not yet available, but I imagine should be soon. They were showing them off at SEMA last year.

Theyā€™re made from this ā€œboron steelā€ stuff, whatever that means. But to me, they look like what the factory bumper should have been. And AEV stuff is seriously stout. You can remove the end caps as well, so you pick which way you wanna roll.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m planning to get the AEV bumper for mine. Theyā€™re not yet available, but I imagine should be soon. They were showing them off at SEMA last year.

Theyā€™re made from this ā€œboron steelā€ stuff, whatever that means. But to me, they look like what the factory bumper should have been. And AEV stuff is seriously stout. You can remove the end caps as well, so you pick which way you wanna roll.

Nice, yeah boron steel is stronger than regular, not sure how/why
Sponsored