Yakima Outpost HD with RTT, Awning, Rotopax

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I mounted up my RTT today out of boredom, and to check how it fit on the new rack. Turns out, pretty good!

21TY71U.jpg

Also fit the awning, it worked out well with some t-nuts I found that fit the Yakima rails. Annoying that they have what seems to be proprietary rail/slot dimensions, but I was able to make it work. I used ARB generic awning brackets and spacer plates I had lying around. The Rotopax mounts fit just between the awning and tent, so I'm happy about that. They won't work on the tent fold-out side, they stick up too much with the mid-height rack.

inYyJ2r.jpg

On the fold-out side I'd like to fit the recovery board mounts, but there's just not enough room to fit them on the Outpost HD and a short bed. I found a post on a Tacoma forum that has the same issue, so I'll see about fabricating up some mounts that make it possible to carry the maxtrax on the sidebar.

1qOw9q8.jpg

almost ready to do some serious mall crawling!
Sponsored

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
I have the same issue with my recovery boards on my outpost hd. Did you ever find a solution that seemed to work? I am leaning toward using some long 3/8 bolts as t-nuts and drilling a hole through the traction boards.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
On the fold-out side I'd like to fit the recovery board mounts, but there's just not enough room to fit them on the Outpost HD and a short bed.
What about trying an undermount under the RTT, might not be ultimate solution but at least it will not interfere with RTT set-up or stick out to far from rack

OP
OP
PabstBleuRibbon

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I have the same issue with my recovery boards on my outpost hd. Did you ever find a solution that seemed to work? I am leaning toward using some long 3/8 bolts as t-nuts and drilling a hole through the traction boards.
I might have something to show in a bit, I'll post photos and an update if it works.

What about trying an undermount under the RTT, might not be ultimate solution but at least it will not interfere with RTT set-up or stick out to far from rack
Unfortunately the crossbars are too far apart for an undermount, otherwise that'd work.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Or maybe go on the inside?

Sponsored

OP
OP
PabstBleuRibbon

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave

er...nevermind, I'm a dumbass. This would probably work, going side-to-side on the crossbar, not front to rear.

CaptainRedbearrd

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I was looking for a set up exactly like this! What T nuts did you find that fit in the Yakima slots?

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
Very Nice. Just ordered 4 for myself!

Sponsored

OP
OP
PabstBleuRibbon

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Ok so I took a bit of a gamble and ordered up a set of Truxedo rails, an X15 Tonneau cover, and the Yakima t-slot adapters. Goal was what everyone else is trying to figure out: how to have a rack and a useable tonneau cover. The results are mixed, but I'll give it a try for a while:

HtNZDw0.jpg

M2yWjqZ.jpg

As you can see the towers for the Yakima rack don't quite clear the tonneau:

h187dHf.jpg

5cCfvM2.jpg

MQk6XRS.jpg

26JgB6H.jpg

CoYG6Sf.jpg

These clamps are what holds the top t-slot rail to the bed frame, the tonneau just has 2 brackets at the front and rear of the bed

KHzzvvQ.jpg

The biggest drawback is a drastic lowering of the rated off-road weight of the Yakima rack with this setup, only 180lb according to them. It feels pretty solid, hopefully be fine for my RTT and awning.

installation was ok, nothing too difficult. With this setup the entire rack comes off with 8 bolts, so I can have full use of the bed if needed. I'm a little bummed the Gladiator version of the X15 does *not* come with the quick releases for the cover, something they advertise on their website, but this version is two bolts.

MynticeLX

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon
Ok so I took a bit of a gamble and ordered up a set of Truxedo rails, an X15 Tonneau cover, and the Yakima t-slot adapters. Goal was what everyone else is trying to figure out: how to have a rack and a useable tonneau cover. The results are mixed, but I'll give it a try for a while:

As you can see the towers for the Yakima rack don't quite clear the tonneau:

These clamps are what holds the top t-slot rail to the bed frame, the tonneau just has 2 brackets at the front and rear of the bed

The biggest drawback is a drastic lowering of the rated off-road weight of the Yakima rack with this setup, only 180lb according to them. It feels pretty solid, hopefully be fine for my RTT and awning.

installation was ok, nothing too difficult. With this setup the entire rack comes off with 8 bolts, so I can have full use of the bed if needed. I'm a little bummed the Gladiator version of the X15 does *not* come with the quick releases for the cover, something they advertise on their website, but this version is two bolts.
Please keep us posted on how this works out. I'm very interested in a setup that will allow my Outpost with a tonneau cover!

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just did the same thing today with Z brackets and maxxtrax on my yakima rack. Thanks for the pro tip!

28BCCFCE-A0D9-497A-8B68-DC8662196CD8.jpeg
1342AB29-BD56-439B-85EB-83D757A0B90B.jpeg
17F170D6-D383-49C1-A8DC-CDE6D003E206.jpeg

AlpineChip

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 2013 JKU Rubicon
I mounted up my RTT today out of boredom, and to check how it fit on the new rack. Turns out, pretty good!

Jeep Gladiator Yakima Outpost HD with RTT, Awning, Rotopax 17F170D6-D383-49C1-A8DC-CDE6D003E206

Also fit the awning, it worked out well with some t-nuts I found that fit the Yakima rails. Annoying that they have what seems to be proprietary rail/slot dimensions, but I was able to make it work. I used ARB generic awning brackets and spacer plates I had lying around. The Rotopax mounts fit just between the awning and tent, so I'm happy about that. They won't work on the tent fold-out side, they stick up too much with the mid-height rack.

Jeep Gladiator Yakima Outpost HD with RTT, Awning, Rotopax 17F170D6-D383-49C1-A8DC-CDE6D003E206

On the fold-out side I'd like to fit the recovery board mounts, but there's just not enough room to fit them on the Outpost HD and a short bed. I found a post on a Tacoma forum that has the same issue, so I'll see about fabricating up some mounts that make it possible to carry the maxtrax on the sidebar.

almost ready to do some serious mall crawling!
What 't-nuts' did you have laying around? Trying to find something that will work for mine.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Nice set up
Sponsored