zy1337

zy1337

First Name
Zy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Zy, great project and transformation. I'm very interested in the AMW 392 swap and how you think it handles the 40's. I'm contemplating it vs the 426 swap. I'm currently running 37's but on the stock driveline and diff's. I believe the 392 swap will work with the factory diffs, also a consideration as I don't intend to go to heavier Dana's in the near future. Thanks for sharing.
Hey thanks man. I think AM4x4 recommends re-gearing. I had 5.38 in my UD60's since my JT was a MT and was expecting the build to be heavy. So I did not have to regear when the 392 was dropped in.

I am very happy with the power of the 392 with the 8spd AT and the 40's. It feels like the sweet spot to me, it's shifting when it makes sense and the RPM at highway speed in 8th are great. MPG on flat highway isn't that bad 13-15+ depending on speed. Of course MPG drops real fast if you do a lot of starts and stops, as you'd expect.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
No one else did, so I'll ask--

What is the approximate cost of all of this, including labor? I ask because I'm curious, but also you're in TRX/Raptor R territory for this cost I'm sure.

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
No one else did, so I'll ask--

What is the approximate cost of all of this, including labor? I ask because I'm curious, but also you're in TRX/Raptor R territory for this cost I'm sure.
More like almost twice the cost if we are also counting for hours of labor and fab he did himself. Just my guess. But we talk about smiles here and it’s also probably twice as much as a raptor 👍🏼

Sponsored

OP
OP
zy1337

zy1337

First Name
Zy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
I don't really want to think about it haha besides I have no idea what the cost of TRX/Raptor R is :D
I did get the cheapest base model I could find, shortly before the jacked up pandemic prices (suspension, axles, have all wildly increased since I got mine).

axles/suspension/swap are the only thing I had labor for, everything else was done in the garage, and no cost/charge on the custom fab.

Tbanks

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Amazing setup, easily 100k+ mods. Nothing but great work.

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Someday I plan on going this route or Cummins diesel. My question on the M/T, is it an option? I would assume the stock one would not handle it but is it offered?

OP
OP
zy1337

zy1337

First Name
Zy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Someday I plan on going this route or Cummins diesel. My question on the M/T, is it an option? I would assume the stock one would not handle it but is it offered?
Yes - you can retain the M/T. Not sure if the transmission needs to be swapped (I don't think so) But I remember them saying a beefier clutch was going to be needed, for sure.

I did have to get a Rubicon T-case (my JT is a Sport S)

Last edited:
OP
OP
zy1337

zy1337

First Name
Zy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
I previously had the traction board mount on the driver side window of the RSI.
The main issue I had with this was the board covered the latches. Which means the only way to open that window was to remove the traction boards. Impractical, which means I was basically never opening that window.

Considering I have absolutely no visibility in the rear view mirror (in fact I deleted it long ago), I decided to remove the glass window of the RSI rear window. I laser cut a replacement out of 3/16" aluminum with mounting holes around the perimeter. Mounted it with silicon washer for sealing.

That aluminum panel is bigger than the side windows and host the traction boards perfectly without blocking access to the latches. That panel will be painted black and add a couple beads of RTV to seal it. On the inside of the panel, I'll mount the molly panel that was on the passenger RSI window, which is useless when the kitcken is mounted on that side.

I am going to mount the RTT ladder (rhino rack) to the left side panel, which means one less thing to carry inside the bed.

I need to take more pictures, maybe a quick video, to show the 500lbs capacity drawer I designed for the bed. Getting stuff in and out of the bed is a pain - reason why I bought a deck system in the first place - and pushed it further with something low profile that sits just above the Deck drawers and give me access to the entire bed without having to climb in the bed. You can see a little bit of it in the first picture below.

Jeep Gladiator ZYTRA Gladiator 392 Swap Build IMG_6686.JPG

Jeep Gladiator ZYTRA Gladiator 392 Swap Build IMG_6687.JPG

OP
OP
zy1337

zy1337

First Name
Zy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Mounted the ladder and bracket to the driver rise window of the RSI.

And a couple pics of the bed slider. Designed brackets that bolt on directly to the bed rails. The slider itself is fabricated out of 1560 and 3060 aluminum profiles, finished with diamond tread plates.

IMG_6691(1).JPG

IMG_6692.JPG

IMG_6693.JPG

IMG_6694.JPG
Sponsored