E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Hobby
Anybody try this?

Yea, same battery and everything. Works great and my warning light from having a dead aux battery went away. I have a 2020 and hooking up the pos aux battery post to the new battery pos terminal, and taping up the neg post, worked for me. Also if you use the battery he mentions, it just drops right in, I didn’t have to remove anything and nothing was in the way. Def recommend if you don’t use the auto start/stop feature. Took me maybe 45 mins total to do it.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
I eliminated the small battery on my diesel the first week I had it. Removed the small battery, ran the cables up to the main, and done. Already had a tazer so the auto start crap was already off.

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
By these comments I'm assuming the ESS won't function without the second battery. Is that correct? For those that disabled it, did you notice any significant changes?

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
By these comments I'm assuming the ESS won't function without the second battery. Is that correct? For those that disabled it, did you notice any significant changes?
I did the total wire and ESS battery delete with the N1 to N3 terminal jumper and ESS would still work if the normal conditions are met using the single main battery.

I also use a ESS eliminator module that retains the last ESS switch setting and have it by default to stay off. So I do not know if using the main battery only for ESS would be a good thing long term.

That being said, if one has a good main battery and does the aux battery delete, the occasional ESS actuation should not be a issue.

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
So my Aux battery died—which has since caused my main battery to die. My plan now is to get rid of the aux. I ordered the SmartStopStart module to be able to maintain the memory on my ESS switch—should be here tomorrow. If I cannot save my existing battery I will get a new one—maybe the bigger one in the video (or another if anyone has suggestions). I will remove the aux battery and deal with the cables as the video says. So—that will eliminate the aux but still let me use ESS if I ever want to—right? Am I missing anything? My understanding is that I will not get error codes?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Eliminating the ESS battery and rewiring to run off one battery will not stop ESS from functioning. It will create a warranty problem if you have any electrical issues. The primary purpose of the ESS battery is to keep the computers stable during ESS events. Running with the ESS on using just one battery creates the risk of the computers rebooting or halting from low voltage and leaving you temporarily stranded.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
All of this aux battery discussion is new to me. My wife's 2017 Grand Cherokee has ESS so I figured it must have an aux battery too. It turns out that it does and both batteries are under the passenger seat. 60K miles on it now so new batteries seems to be in my near future.

By the way, if the single battery fix that @XraytecH was asking about does not work reliably I saw a product from Genesis that replaces the entire tray and uses two full size batteries. It looks like an elegant solution because both batteries are readily accessible, but it is very pricey. https://www.genesisoffroad.com/jl-dual-battery-kit

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Eliminating the ESS battery and rewiring to run off one battery will not stop ESS from functioning. It will create a warranty problem if you have any electrical issues. The primary purpose of the ESS battery is to keep the computers stable during ESS events. Running with the ESS on using just one battery creates the risk of the computers rebooting or halting from low voltage and leaving you temporarily stranded.
That makes sense. ESS is not designed to work with one battery. But if I am disabling ESS with the SmartStop module I should be good right? No more ESS events at that point.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
That makes sense. ESS is not designed to work with one battery. But if I am disabling ESS with the SmartStop module I should be good right? No more ESS events at that point.
Yes, the module will prevent ESS from turning off the engine, so you should be okay.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Would there be any issue with hooking up the aux battery neg cable to the main battery neg post on a 2020? Seems like that would be a cleaner install, so just curious if there's any reason you can't.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Would there be any issue with hooking up the aux battery neg cable to the main battery neg post on a 2020? Seems like that would be a cleaner install, so just curious if there's any reason you can't.
I believe that cable COMES from the main battery. You'd just be creating a loop of the negative cable.

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Do you have to run the bigger battery like the video shows? Or can I keep the existing battery and do the same thing?
Sponsored