Sponsored

Is dealership conning me on lift kit installation?

Ottoparts

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Auto worker
I'm going to have the dealership put on a Mopar 2" lift kit to preserve my extended warranty but the service tech told me they would need at least 6-7 hrs. This is higher than I have heard but since I haven't had one done before I don't know how acceptable this is. Bad enough when it was $100/hr now it's $170! Obviously I'm not excited to pay that kind of labor, what have those of you with similar lifts found to be the norm?
Sponsored

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Law
Mopar says 3 hours doesn’t it?

OP
OP
Ottoparts

Ottoparts

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto worker
Sorry I should have been clearer, no this guy told me the install would be 6+ hrs. That's why I wanted some feedback because I wasn't even going to get it done right now if that's accurate. Someone said 3 hrs which is more what I expected. Maybe he simply didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I should have been clearer, no this guy told me the install would be 6+ hrs. That's why I wanted some feedback because I wasn't even going to get it done right now if that's accurate. Someone said 3 hrs which is more what I expected. Maybe he simply didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
Heck, bring it here. I can do it it less than 6 hours!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ottoparts

Ottoparts

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto worker
Heck, bring it here. I can do it it less than 6 hours!
I have no doubt whatsoever! you can probably cut that in half. can get spine surgery in that time. I wish that was an option, I hate having to go through these assholes but I don't want any warranty headaches.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I have no doubt whatsoever! you can probably cut that in half. can get spine surgery in that time. I wish that was an option, I hate having to go through these assholes but I don't want any warranty headaches.
Are they the only ones near by?

I'm thinking that any ASE certified shop could do the install and warranty issues would need to prove that the Mopar lift was installed incorrectly to deny any sort of warranty claim.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
That is an excessive cost for sure. If they had said $700 to install....I could buy that. But honestly, depending on where you live, I wouldn't expect anything different than your current quote. I know in my area people are taking advantage of people left and right. Highway robbery, but people continue to play along so business continue to raise their prices knowing someone will pay. It's hurtful, and wrong. But that's how it is lately.

All that frustration to say I think you should consider where you live as a factor for cost. I went through this same bit of rage when originally purchasing my Gladiator to only find out my are is just full of big green weenies everywhere.....

I would be looking to find another place to go if at all an option. But also understand fully the warranty concern - even though there's no legal standing behind it.

Sponsored

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
With a friend I've done mine twice over in the driveway. The rear springs were a bitch the second time but for a one day affair I'll gladly save the money.

OP
OP
Ottoparts

Ottoparts

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto worker
No I live close to a ton of Jeep dealers, this is my dealership but as for labor per hr. I'm being told they are pretty much all in that range now. But I'm at least going to find a much lower estimate on the time frame.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No I live close to a ton of Jeep dealers, this is my dealership but as for labor per hr. I'm being told they are pretty much all in that range now. But I'm at least going to find a much lower estimate on the time frame.
The hourly rate is cheap. It's almost 200/hour here.
It's the time to do it.......... it can be done with floor jacks, and hand tools on a garage floor in less than 6 hours.
Shop rates are up there, and that's just how it is.

That's a straight up trap.
He's got an underground bunker and a Six Million Dollar Man action figure collection.
It's the 4 cats, especially the Tonks, people need to worry about.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
They could easily all be in the same labor range...that's fine. It's the timeframe they are quoting to do the install that is excessive. it's like they want you to pay for the total time the Jeep is at the dealer even if it's sitting in the lot.

Labor rate in my area, last time I checked 6 months ago, was 220-250 believe it or not..... I can see 4 hours to install and align. Not 7+ thats insane..... The MOPAR lift is SUPER simple compared to others. A place I chatted with about the AEV lift, which is slightly more of a deal, quoted something like 6 hours to install.... no way I can fathom 7+ hours for a MOPAR lift.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I would think that Mopar has a set amount of hours that they allocate for such installations, like they do for all other shop work.
Sponsored