First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
So I'm also,looking at the Ranger and found out today that you have to remove the front left wheel, remove some push pins and pull down a flap just to get to the horizontal oil filter...

What a cluster!
Sponsored

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM
Oh man. That sucks.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
So I'm also,looking at the Ranger and found out today that you have to remove the front left wheel, remove some push pins and pull down a flap just to get to the horizontal oil filter...

What a cluster!
Really, the sounds ridiculous. I have a hard time comprehending how stupid that sounds. Wonder if it’s possible to reach the filter from the top of the engine bay instead of from underneath.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I read on the ranger forum that that was inaccurately reported. You can change the oil filter without removing the tire. You just have to cut the wheel and remove an access panel. It was also inaccurately reported that the panel had something like nine tabs and it is only four or something like that.

Sponsored

TERRAHAWK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I read on the ranger forum that that was inaccurately reported. You can change the oil filter without removing the tire. You just have to cut the wheel and remove an access panel. It was also inaccurately reported that the panel had something like nine tabs and it is only four or something like that.
Still a pain in the ass.

13RUBI10A

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary, 2016 Camaro Convertible
Occupation
IT Administrator
Sounds pretty easy to me, crank the wheel hard over and open an access panel. No Big Deal!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Since the recommended maintenance interval also calls for rotating the tires with every oil change this has been blown way out of proportion. "OMG, I have to remove the wheel to do an oil change!!! Damn you Ford!"
"OK, oil change done, now time to rotate my wheels - I do it MYSELF because I don't trust anyone else! It's easy with a decent jack and some stands!"

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You have to remove plastic trim rivets. How many times will you be able to do that before you have to replace them? Then there's a panel flapping in the way. And that's after cranking the wheel one direction to make space.

No, that doesn't sound awful, but it is a pain in the ass and it's totally unnecessary. My wife's 2018 Jeep Cherokee is the same way. It has TWO panels that need to be moved to do the oil change, and the oil filter is in such a funky position that it's hard to do on your back in the driveway without slicing your wrist. No reason for it to be designed like that whatsoever!

Compare that to the 3.6L engine in the JL....I can literally change my oil and filter in 3 minutes start to finish.

Sponsored

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You have to remove plastic trim rivets. How many times will you be able to do that before you have to replace them? Then there's a panel flapping in the way. And that's after cranking the wheel one direction to make space.

No, that doesn't sound awful, but it is a pain in the ass and it's totally unnecessary. My wife's 2018 Jeep Cherokee is the same way. It has TWO panels that need to be moved to do the oil change, and the oil filter is in such a funky position that it's hard to do on your back in the driveway without slicing your wrist. No reason for it to be designed like that whatsoever!

Compare that to the 3.6L engine in the JL....I can literally change my oil and filter in 3 minutes start to finish.
You are so right. Changing the oil and filter is the most simplest to do on a Gladiator

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 1500 Custom/Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Retired for now!
I had a 2022 Ranger Tremor and it is not anywhere near that bad. You have to do the same procedure on the 2.3 Liter engine on the full size Bronco to change the oil filter as well. Ford has replaced the plastic push pins with small bolts to make it easier on the 2022 Rangers I know for sure. And even with the Tremor's bigger off road tires, to get to the oil filter, you don't even have to turn the front wheel. Reach over the top of the tire and loosen up 3 of the screws on the flap and remove them. Pull the flap back and down. Take an oil filter cap wrench with a 3/8" extension and slide it into the area now exposed by pulling back the flap. Push the cap over the oil filter. Put a 3/8" ratchet on the end of the extension and loosen the oil filter. Then pull the ratchet, extension and oil cap wrench off the loose filter. Reach in and loosen the oil filter all the way, pull it out, and after putting clean oil on the new oil filter seal, install the new oil filter and tighten the new oil filter. Pull the flap back up, secure with the 3 bolts or push pins if applicable, and tighten. It is really not a big deal. Whomever advised that the front wheel has to be removed, is not correct. Hope this clears things up!

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
You are so right. Changing the oil and filter is the most simplest to do on a Gladiator
Gotta be a record pulling up a 4 year old dead thread and quoting a banned member is the cherry on top.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
My oil filter on my Crown vic is not easy to get at. I have to remember to turn the wheel to the right to make a hole to remove and install the filter. My 66 Impala has the canister type that you almost everytime had to fish out the o-ring. The Gladiator 3.6l is right up there with being the easiest, for sure.
Sponsored