Wide vs Narrow Track Axles

Dusty Rag

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Anyone know what the differences are between these axles other than the width? I’d love to have a basic sport and add a rear locker in the future. But I’m worried it’ll be like previous wrangler years where basic models get a weaker c clip axle that don’t do well with being locked (like the old tj d35). I’m leaning rubicon at this point to be sure I get the strongest setup but if the sport narrower axles are just as strong I’d be more swayed towards buying a sport and putting that extra cash towards building the rig the way I want. Just don’t want to get stuck with axles that aren’t worth upgrading.
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Quality is one. Price is another difference. Seems like several will be making the choice to get the running gear and build up a sport, or get it all in a Rubi.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
From what I am understanding (and I may be wrong), the sport or sport S w/ max tow package gets the same 44 wide axels as the rubicon version without the lockers. Overland and sport without the max tow package get a narrower Dana 44 set. Haven’t seen anything about spline counts or whatnot so I’m not sure if there are any other differences. I hope I’m understanding it right as I’m leaning towards sport S with max tow and a couple other options and buy a front locker after to save some $$ but have a little extra grip for the half dozen times I actually get to hit the trails each year.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's how I understand it too. Gladiators ALL have D44s, so there won't be any "weaker axles" depending on model like there is with Wrangler.

The extra width just helps with stability, safety, etc. while hauling and towing.

TXJT

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Her Jeep: 2012 JKUR on 33s, My Jeep: 2010 JKUR on 37s w/5.7 Hemi, Project Jeep: 1981 CJ-8 on 35's w/5.7 Hemi
Food for thought, all JKs got D44 rears but the JK Rubicons got 32 spline rear axle shafts whereas all others got 30 spline rear axle shafts. It will be interesting to see if Jeep does something like that again and wether the max tow (with the same wide track housing) gets the same axle shafts as the Rubicon or not...

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Food for thought, all JKs got D44 rears but the JK Rubicons got 32 spline rear axle shafts whereas all others got 30 spline rear axle shafts. It will be interesting to see if Jeep does something like that again and wether the max tow (with the same wide track housing) gets the same axle shafts as the Rubicon or not...
Yeah it can be overwhelming. It'll make a guy's head explode if you try to find all the little differences. I think the Rubicon Recon had yet a different ring and pinion didn't it?

But, from what I can see, the JL axles are all the AdvanTek design, and for the M220 (the one we call the D44) it's actually got a smaller ring and pinion than the JK had despite being 8% stronger according to Dana press sheets. By using smaller parts and lower friction, they've tried to increase fuel economy a little while still keeping the strength of the old parts. So, I don't really see them using multiple configurations anymore. I bet the new D44 will be the same inside the pumpkin across the board, except that Rubicons will get lockers.

Canadian GP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Canadian Postie.
Since I already have a built up JK I'm looking at the Gladiator as a DD. I saw a youtube video where they were talking about ordering one and they suggested a Sport S with the Max Tow Package if you want to run 35's. Does this make sense?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I found a Four Wheeler article that discussed the JT axles being "beefed up" over the JL axles. The article claims that the axle tubes are 10mm thicker (which seems like a lot) and that the differential and brakes are also stronger.

Very interesting... Perhaps the JT axles are not identical to the JL axles after all.

As far as running 35s, you should have no trouble with any version of the Gladiator. I'm running 35s on JL D30 front and D35 rear and I've had zero issues.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I found a Four Wheeler article that discussed the JT axles being "beefed up" over the JL axles. The article claims that the axle tubes are 10mm thicker (which seems like a lot) and that the differential and brakes are also stronger.

Very interesting... Perhaps the JT axles are not identical to the JL axles after all.

As far as running 35s, you should have no trouble with any version of the Gladiator. I'm running 35s on JL D30 front and D35 rear and I've had zero issues.
Would not be surprised since things are changed for the increased tow rating - We need to prove that though! But then all the JL'rs will be trying to steal our axles....

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
What I have been thinking about is whether to choose the Max tow over the Rubicon. I've never been a fan of the Rubicon 4-1 t-case as many times it has been too low. Now throw in the 8 speed trans with a 4-1 first gear and the Rubi t-case is REALLY low. Get a Sport Max tow and throw in air lockers and I have cash left over for mods. That's the plan. We'll see.....

I've found all M220 (44) axles are 32 spline, front and rear, regardless of open, LSD or Electric locker. I was recently in the front end of a JL Rubicon and I was surprised to see that the 32 inner axle was a different spline design than outer shaft 32 spline. The outer was smaller and very similar in diameter to the older 30 spline JK axle shafts.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Max tow and Rubicon are same axles. Once you add sir lockers your $$ gap is very small. So it depends on what else you want to modify. Also if you care about 8.4 display or not.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Max tow and Rubicon are same axles. Once you add sir lockers your $$ gap is very small. So it depends on what else you want to modify. Also if you care about 8.4 display or not.
Shrinking price gap is a big deal, especially when you consider things you'll probably opt for on the Sport S, that come standard on the Rubicon:
7" radio group- $995
Max Tow (vs reg tow)- $745
Then add at least $3000 for air lockers and install... pushing $5k of the $5800 difference between a Sport S and Rubicon.
Rubicon Highline fenders are about $600.
Sponsored