First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be: Gladiator Launch Edition, Rubicon Recon, 02 Wrangler
Occupation
Law Enforcement (Deputy) Veteran
I agree that too wide of a stance looks gaudy. But, larger tires require a stance that's a bit wider to avoid rub and full turn. The key is finding that sweet spot that's just wide enough without going 'throwback 90's civic'.
I’m also going to agree, god that looks awful. It reminds me of the Toyota Tacoma’s in Hawaii with the 3” spacers behind the wheels. I’m going to stick with no lift and 35’s stock wheels. IMO, that is going to be the sweet spot. Also I don’t think there will be any issue with a true 35 or 315/70R17 with rubbing as the Glady was designed with adding 35’s in mind with no addition modifications. Further more I don’t want to mess with the geometry of the drive line and add increased wear and tear. 0.02 for the record. Someone will buy it though.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I know it’s personal preference, but I don’t think the negative offset wheels (especially the -44) look good on the Gladiator...
If you go negative offset like this, doesn't it put more stress on everything?

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
If you go negative offset like this, doesn't it put more stress on everything?
Absolutely. AEV designed their wheel to fit the JL (hopefully works on JT) with a +25mm offset, that's a 2.7 inch difference on each side vs the -44mm offset on the white one above. Its the difference of buying a wheel that's designed for a particular vehicle vs one based off of looks or price. And you can bet that affects the life of the unit bearing. On the trails I run, 5 inches of extra width overall makes a difference for the worse but then again, whoever buys wheels with -44mm offset will probably never leave the pavement..

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Absolutely. AEV designed their wheel to fit the JL (hopefully works on JT) with a +25mm offset, that's a 2.7 inch difference on each side vs the -44mm offset on the white one above. Its the difference of buying a wheel that's designed for a particular vehicle vs one based off of looks or price. And you can bet that affects the life of the unit bearing. On the trails I run, 5 inches of extra width overall makes a difference for the worse but then again, whoever buys wheels with -44mm offset will probably never leave the pavement..
Don't they also have to design the offset with the tire in mind so it doesn't rub on stuff?

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
I couldn't agree more. It reminds me of the lowered ricer 90's Honda civics with the low profile tires and wheels sticking way out of the fenders. Yeah, lets copy that on our Jeeps, don't forget the muffler to make it sound like a weed whacker too...
I was always told jeeps were so narrow because they were purpose built to navigate close quarter trails in forests and between rocks.

So it seems odd to me you would extend the tires outside of the fenders effectively making it wider and negating the design. But I have also seen lowered jeeps which make even less sense. Obviously those designs are not part of such owner's purposes.

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but I don't care for those "angry grills" either. That original Jeep grill is such an iconic design element, to significantly alter it in the name of fashion....just seems wrong.

But it is your jeep so do with it what you will. I don't have to like it and you don't have to care what anyone thinks. Just an opinion.

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't they also have to design the offset with the tire in mind so it doesn't rub on stuff?

Yup, that's probably why they had to cut the rock rails on the white one above with -44mm as the dealer did not keep this in mind or simply didn't care since their only concern is appealing to a certain buyer. I'm guessing the inner edge of the tire was rubbing at full turn even after being lifted, because the inner edge of the tire was moved more than 2 inches towards the rock rails. it is also sitting on a 13.5" wide tire and that makes a difference too vs. a 12.5" width. I know nothing about those wheels but I'm guessing they are a universal wheel with more than one lug pattern to fit multiple vehicles. There are always trade offs with one vs another but I'll always go to the one that was purpose designed vs one to appeal to Z71 owners along with Jeep owners.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, that's probably why they had to cut the rock rails on the white one above with -44mm as the dealer did not keep this in mind or simply didn't care since their only concern is appealing to a certain buyer. I'm guessing the inner edge of the tire was rubbing at full turn even after being lifted, because the inner edge of the tire was moved more than 2 inches towards the rock rails. it is also sitting on a 13.5" wide tire and that makes a difference too vs. a 12.5" width. I know nothing about those wheels but I'm guessing they are a universal wheel with more than one lug pattern to fit multiple vehicles. There are always trade offs with one vs another but I'll always go to the one that was purpose designed vs one to appeal to Z71 owners along with Jeep owners.
does anybody know what the "proper" wheel offset for a typical 35" tire on a 17" wheel for the JT?

Or are you just assuming AEV has this figured out and waiting for them to come out?

Sponsored

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
so, let me see if I have this right, Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

yes

:LOL:

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
does anybody know what the "proper" wheel offset for a typical 35" tire on a 17" wheel for the JT?

Or are you just assuming AEV has this figured out and waiting for them to come out?
They have it figured out for sure and they are available already for the JL which SHOULD be the same as the JT. The only question is will they fit the JT and that is because of clearances with stick on wheel weights and the brake caliper. I don't know if there is any differences in the brakes on the JT vs JL and there could be as the tow rating may require larger rotors and calipers than the JL requires. On the JL they fit fine but you can only use 1/4oz stick on balancing weights or else they'll hit the calipers.

But ultimately, there is no "proper" wheel for a 35 on the JT, it all boils down to personal preference..

Pretty sure those are 37's below..

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.23.45 PM.png

since41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee, Trackhawk, RAM DT,
The 17" Mopar Beadlock capable wheels are 8.0" wide with a +12mm offset, which makes the backspacing 4.972". Theer have been several pictures of Gladiators with these wheels running 35x12.50 tires. They are fully backed with a warranty through Mopar. If anyone is on the fence with what wheels to go with I'd recommend AEV being your last choice. I've seen numerous wheels from them that are defective. Just Google "AEV defective wheels" for reference.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 17" Mopar Beadlock capable wheels are 8.0" wide with a +12mm offset, which makes the backspacing 4.972". Theer have been several pictures of Gladiators with these wheels running 35x12.50 tires. They are fully backed with a warranty through Mopar. If anyone is on the fence with what wheels to go with I'd recommend AEV being your last choice. I've seen numerous wheels from them that are defective. Just Google "AEV defective wheels" for reference.
holy BLEEP, are those wheels like $500 each?
Sponsored