Things I don’t like about my new Gladiator

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
Im sure that I’m not the only person who dislikes a few things about my new Gladiator and heres my list so far. Overall I’m really liking it but there are things I wish were different about it, how about you?

#1. Its flighty at 55 mph and up. Much more so than my JKUR on 35’s. I dropped psi to 35 then 32 but its still the same, just drifts alot and requires constant focus to keep in the lane. New 35” Goodyear Duratracs on AEV wheels made no difference either.

#2. No tow mode or brake controller from the factory. Im sorry but both of these should be standard for a 60k truck that claims best in class towing. Tow mode really helps in my other vehicles when going downhill to keep from riding the brakes.

#3. Spongy ride. Overall it rides good, but its spongy in a way I cannot explain other than its what I would expect it to feel like if the frame were flexing although Im sure its not the case. I’m hoping an aftermarket 2.5” lift will help this but I also know it might just take some getting used to.

#4. No switch in the bed for the bed lights. Its annoying to have to go to the cab to turn them on when needed.

#5. Manual sliding back glass. This should be standard at this trim level, I could see it being manual in a sport but at 60k entry fee it sucks to have to lay the seat back to reach the back glass. And I’m 6’5”, you shorties will have to get out to open/close it.

#6. Side mirrors could stand to be a bit bigger, the visibility is not optimal but they are ok. Towing with them pretty much sucks.

#7. The 8.4 radio is glitchy. It has shut down and rebooted itself 3x in 500 miles. It will be going in for service next time it happens.

#8. I wish cooled seats were an option as I sit here in the carpool lane to pick up kids with the freedom panels and doors off. Leather feels like vinyl when you’re stuck to it. I absolutely love them in my F150 and prefer to use them with the windows down vs having the AC on.

Thats it, for now at least..
Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Im sure that I’m not the only person who dislikes a few things about my new Gladiator and heres my list so far. Overall I’m really liking it but there are things I wish were different about it, how about you
Thanks, it's good to have some criticism here too for those that haven't bought yet and just to be clear that it has limitations. For most on this forum, it's the Jesus Truck, walking on water everywhere you go. It's hard to know a lot of these limitations without being in a Gladiator for more than 15 minutes. And I agree, for $60k there should definitely be some expectations. (That being said, nobody should be paying 60k for this truck. =oP)

OP
OP
NORDNDED

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
Did you know about any of these things before you bought it?
1,2 and 8 yes. But everything I knew about is only what I had read online which I take only so seriously, not from personal experience until now.

But like I said, I really like the truck so far, these are mostly nit picky complaints.

Sponsored

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon
#4. No switch in the bed for the bed lights. Its annoying to have to go to the cab to turn them on when needed.
Maybe this was designed that way so some random dude couldn't turn on the lights and run your battery down while you were away.........

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Here's a few of my thoughts...keep in mind, I'm a first-time Jeep owner so a few of these things were just unknown/unexpected. NONE of these items are a big deal, but I had been writing down a list of quirks that I expected to share on a thread popping up like this!
  • No power seats (I know, I know ;)) >>> I understand why, I just assumed they were available but having never really been in a Jeep before, I didn't know they weren't standard! I actually like that they're manual now that I've had a chance to get comfortable in it.
  • Satellite connectivity issues >>> I've had XM/Sirius radio in 3 vehicles now and for whatever reason, if I'm driving in an area of trees/foliage/hills, the stations cut out (I'm guessing it's due to there not being a 'sharkfin' style antenna that both of my other vehicles had). My other cars had coverage 99.9% of the time on all of these same roads I'm experiencing these new cut-outs and I'd say I have a few quick disruptions every time I drive to/from work (which is a 12-minute commute) to the point where I've said "WTF is going on with this connection?"
  • ESS is annoying >>> I attempt to make the ESS disable button the second button I push right after "Push to Start" - If I had the option, I'd purchase some aftermarket system that bypasses this button because it's definitely not something I've ever wanted/asked for.
  • The antenna seems like a very cheap afterthought

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
Got the best and cheapy fix! My BMW Convertible had same issue(black leather too) so i got a set of "black wooden bead" car seat liners
I agree with the cooled seats. It should at the least be an option. I figured the overland model would have them standard. Jeep is being cheap
...keeps my butt and back an inch above seat and a bonus of increasing circulation!

The antenna is an easy fix too...stubby all the way!

MPFit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500
I WISH it had AC seats. I got the heated for here when the Florida winter (40 degrees) comes with 0% chance of rain. I’ll be top and doors off all day.. but in the summer (or anytime other than winter) when I want the top off I’ll have no choice to BLAST that AC so I don’t flood my interior with seat. Haha.

Sponsored

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the candor of your points....... These are good things for all of us to take a serious look at! THANKS ! :clap:

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I agree with the cooled seats. It should at the least be an option. I figured the overland model would have them standard. Jeep is being cheap
I bet FCA didn't do vented seats for the same reason they didn't do power seats, namely so they could boost the water fording depth by a couple inches...

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
#8. I wish cooled seats were an option as I sit here in the carpool lane to pick up kids with the freedom panels and doors off. Leather feels like vinyl when you’re stuck to it. I absolutely love them in my F150 and prefer to use them with the windows down vs having the AC on.

Thats it, for now at least..

LOL - I am trying to wean myself off of the vented seats in our GC for this very reason.

X2 on the brake controller.

I will likely have a hard bed cover, and rig up momentary switches so the bed lights come on when a lid door is open (doesn’t help you tho)

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon