Sponsored

Man-sized Gladiator Multi-tool!

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
I was in need for some garage wall art, and having just received my Gladiator Multi-tool the other day, I thought how cool would a massive one of these look on the wall!! And more appropriately for this forum it's made out of PLYWOOD!!
Here's what I did:
  1. Projected a picture of the multi-tool on a 1/4" 2x4 birch plywood. In pencil I outlined the outside and any holes.
  2. Used a jigsaw to cut out the shapes.
  3. Used a Dremel with a sanding pit to carve the tire treads.
  4. Sanded with 220, primed, and two top-coats using Rustolem Silver Metallic spray paint, then sanded smooth.
  5. Created the decals and lines using Silhouette Studio.
  6. Using a Silhouette Cameo 3, cut the decals and lines using black glossy vinyl (Oracal 651).
  7. Transfer to the plywood, and voila!
Final piece is 16"x47", almost 7X the size of the original. Here are bunch of pics to show perspective. This thing is MASSIVE:muscle:!

IMG_20190625_135422.jpg

IMG_20190625_135530.jpg

IMG_20190625_135616.jpg

IMG_20190625_135701.jpg

IMG_20190625_135715.jpg

IMG_20190625_135720.jpg

IMG_20190625_135728.jpg
Sponsored

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I was in need for some garage wall art, and having just received my Gladiator Multi-tool the other day, I thought how cool would a massive one of these look on the wall!! And more appropriately for this forum it's made out of PLYWOOD!!
Here's what I did:
  1. Projected a picture of the multi-tool on a 1/4" 2x4 birch plywood. In pencil I outlined the outside and any holes.
  2. Used a jigsaw to cut out the shapes.
  3. Used a Dremel with a sanding pit to carve the tire treads.
  4. Sanded with 220, primed, and two top-coats using Rustolem Silver Metallic spray paint, then sanded smooth.
  5. Created the decals and lines using Silhouette Studio.
  6. Using a Silhouette Cameo 3, cut the decals and lines using black glossy vinyl (Oracal 651).
  7. Transfer to the plywood, and voila!
Final piece is 16"x47", almost 7X the size of the original. Here are bunch of pics to show perspective. This thing is MASSIVE:muscle:!

IMG_20190625_135422.jpg

IMG_20190625_135530.jpg

IMG_20190625_135616.jpg

IMG_20190625_135701.jpg

IMG_20190625_135715.jpg

IMG_20190625_135720.jpg

IMG_20190625_135728.jpg
Alright, everybody is wondering, but nobody has the cahones (spelling?) to ask........how much for you to make one for me?!

OP
OP
JT614

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, everybody is wondering, but nobody has the cahones (spelling?) to ask........how much for you to make one for me?!
Well that's one hell of a compliment, thanks!

I don't know if I would make to sell. I'm a maker, and the things I make is a labor of love. But what about this...you seem to be in-the-know and on top of everything on this forum which is awesome!! What if we create some kind of challenge, similar to the plywood challenge (or not since that kinda flopped?), and I make one for the winner. Don't know what the challenge would be, but something worthy of a one-of-a-kind (well, two actually) custom novelty Man-sized Gladiator Multi-tool. I'd be happy to make another and reward a member with it, but it would have to be a beneficial challenge to the forum. No easy freebies given here. If you like the idea or have any ideas DM me and we can brainstorm!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

I don't know if I would make to sell. I'm a maker, and the things I make is a labor of love. But what about this...you seem to be in-the-know and on top of everything on this forum which is awesome!! What if we create some kind of challenge, similar to the plywood challenge (or not since that kinda flopped?), and I make one for the winner. Don't know what the challenge would be, but something worthy of a one-of-a-kind (well, two actually) custom novelty Man-sized Gladiator Multi-tool. I'd be happy to make another and reward a member with it, but it would have to be a beneficial challenge to the forum. No easy freebies given here. If you like the idea or have any ideas DM me and we can brainstorm!
I selfishly think you should just make me one........... Jk

Great idea on the prize and awesome selfless gesture. If I think of another not super easy contest I'll DM ya!

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO

I just want to know how long it took to make that. The detail is perfect!

OP
OP
JT614

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to know how long it took to make that. The detail is perfect!
Honestly not that long. Like I said, I'm a maker and have been for years. Lots of experience with many tools and design. I started the project at 4pm yesterday and was done at the time I posted this. I do sleep, work, and take care of two kiddos too, so all-in it didn't take too long. I pride myself at being extremely efficient. This video speaks to my beliefs and efforts. Worthy of a 12 minute viewing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JT614

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bravo! I thought the detail with the dremel was amazing on the treads... For sure I was thinking you used a CAD CAM tool LOL Great job!
Thanks! I dream of the days to use a CNC to make projects like this SO much easier. Justifying to the wife is my first challenge.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Thanks! I dream of the days to use a CNC to make projects like this SO much easier. Justifying to the wife is my first challenge.
I feel ya. I have always wanted a CNC milling machine and have been following a lot of Kickstarted projects and they are not that expensive anymore. But, I am also wishing that the 3D printing evolves to other materials where it is rigid enough so that we can use that instead of wood and some metals... When I build my workshop I def plan to have a CNC machine because next year I am going to start my restoration project that I have been thinking about for a while - restomod a late 60s early 70s Karmann Ghia and put a Porsche motor in it and do a real high tech interior with touch screens... I have been playing around with the Raspberry Pi and a touch screen to build an infotainment for older car models based on an article in Pop Sci. Fingers crossed it will come to fruition :D

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a15446/diy-touchscreen-dashboard-raspberry-pi/

Last edited:

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I feel ya. I have always wanted a CNC milling machine and have been following a lot of Kickstarted projects and they are not that expensive anymore. But, I am also wishing that the 3D printing evolves to other materials where it is rigid enough so that we can use that instead of wood and some metals... When I build my workshop I def plan to have a CNC machine because next year I am going to start my restoration project that I have been thinking about for a while - restomod a late 60s early 70s Karmann Ghia and put a Porsche motor in it and do a real high tech interior with touch screens... I have been playing around with the Raspberry Pi and a touch screen to build an infotainment for older car models based on an article in Pop Sci. Fingers crossed it will come to fruition :D
My dad has a machine shop with cnc Mills and laths it's amazing what he can do with them
Sponsored