BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Wellllll I'm itching to pull the trigger on this, so that's all the encouragement I need haha. Will run a prototype next week!
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, so I finally got the Trail Rail kit that I pre-ordered a while back and had some time to strip all of the gear out of my bed and install them.

Initial impressions are that I always like receiving something that's packaged well and this fits the bill. No bells and whistles, but the pre-cut foam inserts did their job well. Removing one of the rails led to another surprise - these things are beefy! I was relieve to see this, as I'm hoping to mount my low-rise bed rack directly to the rail for reasons both obvious and not (I'll address that in a different post). The kit includes three rails and all necessary hardware. Tools necessary were a T30 torx socket, a torque wrench and a wrench and socket to fit the makeshift nutsert tool I'm about to show you.

wdZDv4j.jpg

vSuybUW.jpg

Loved that they used a small amount of foam to protect the paint surface during installation. They also have push clips permanently installed, which as far as I can tell serve only to help initial positioning and single-handed installation, which turned out to be really nice.
QQ94Ach.jpg

or1UgUZ.jpg

And a look into the end of the aluminum extrusion with an end cap removed. Nothing much to see.
irxCiUO.jpg

Installation

The first step in the installation (well, I suppose you could install the front rail first, but that's boring) is to install the nutsert that Mopar includes in the kit on each side. This fills the hexagonal cutout in the pillar at the rear of the bed, near the tailgate. I don't understand why they didn't just install a threaded insert from the factory like the other holes, but whatever.
FsKzMRo.jpg

This thing sorta sucks. The nutsert that they include is cleverly hexagonal as well and fits snuggly into the cutout in the truck.
92eRw2g.jpg

That's where the fun stops. Instructions say to use one of the included fasteners to install the nutsert. Basically, you tighten it down, it bunches up the sleeve and locks the nutsert into place (see illustration). That's great, if the nutsert doesn't just deform and spin inside of it's hexagonal cutout. Womp womp. Now the nutsert is stuck in place but also spinning and useless.

Luckily, I've had some experience with these things and know that they don't need to be hexagonally shaped to work. In fact, most are round. The idea is to keep the insert from spinning and 'pull' the threaded portion back out towards you, sandwhiching the panel. We can accomplish this with a nut, bolt and washer in the configuration below. This is M6x1.0 hardware.
tscx5wg.jpg

With the bolt threaded all the way into the insert, we push the insert into place (or install in place, if you get stuck like me). Next, use a socket to hold the end of the bolt and keep it and the insert from spinning in place. Then, tighten the nut against the insert and keep going. This should require firm force, but nothing near your body weight. as you tighten the nut down, the bolt will be pulled towards you, along with the threaded portion of the insert. This creates the sandwhich we need. When the effort required increased, I called it good.
oEWjUOg.jpg

wtuQi70.jpg

With that, we can proceed with the rest of the very simple installation. Each rail has four T30 torx fasteners and the instructions call for a Torque in the neighborhood of 10NM. This is pretty important, I've found, as they rails are meant to hold a pretty decent weight. Under torquing can mean that the rail isn't transferring the load into the bedside wall as intended. Too much torque and you might over-stretch the fastener, causing or initiating early failure. Anyway, if you have a torque wrench, use it. if not, use this as an excuse to buy one.
pJm02dP.jpg

h9UYEv1.jpg

zMJ5MGL.jpg

CoNY5DR.jpg

Q3iqj8b.jpg

That's all for now!

Matt

if you still have the instructions could you possibly give me the part number for the silver hexagonal inserts that need to be placed in the bed? Im looking at potentially buying a take off rail system and it doesnt come with them.

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
if you still have the instructions could you possibly give me the part number for the silver hexagonal inserts that need to be placed in the bed? Im looking at potentially buying a take off rail system and it doesnt come with them.
Hey, I was able to find the instructions but was disappointed to find that they don't list individual part numbers. Sorry!

Matt

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, I was able to find the instructions but was disappointed to find that they don't list individual part numbers. Sorry!

Matt
Thanks! The fella selling the rails actually found the exact bolt on amazon for me. I have them in and love them. Thanks for looking though!

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Ok I know it's been a while, but i had this idea a while back and fit's finally real! If I can get like ten hand-raisers that are interested at the $39 price point, I'll make a run of them. I'm thinking of offering them in clear anodizing, black anodizing and red anodizing. Bed bling!

Matt

ZvALLBX.jpg

Pc1cpbD.jpg

gKVmnPK.jpg

Sponsored

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
Ok I know it's been a while, but i had this idea a while back and fit's finally real! If I can get like ten hand-raisers that are interested at the $39 price point, I'll make a run of them. I'm thinking of offering them in clear anodizing, black anodizing and red anodizing. Bed bling!

Matt

ZvALLBX.jpg

Pc1cpbD.jpg

gKVmnPK.jpg
I’ll take one in red. When are the Mille panels coming out?

DaMutt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK, 2020 JT Sport S Max tow Stingray
Occupation
Firearms

Matt

ZvALLBX.jpg

Pc1cpbD.jpg

gKVmnPK.jpg
I'd like one

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Matt

ZvALLBX.jpg

Pc1cpbD.jpg

gKVmnPK.jpg
count me in too, not sure on black or red yet.

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
Which quick fist would you recommend for securing a high lift to one of the side panels? Do you need the riser mounts on them?

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Which quick fist would you recommend for securing a high lift to one of the side panels? Do you need the riser mounts on them?
/\ this. Or would traditional mount work better?

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
This is only for people without power there right? Or is this for people with Launch Editions too?
the plate replaces the rubber cover for NON-bed power people. Basically anybody that didn't get the trail rail system. Its totally aesthetic, but looks damn cool.

sad85XD

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker Red 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon "Azazel"
Occupation
Auditor

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

Matt

ZvALLBX.jpg

Pc1cpbD.jpg

gKVmnPK.jpg

Aren't you going to remove the machine marks?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.