Sponsored

Thoughts on Diamondback SE?

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I've very nearly talked myself into getting a Diamondback SE for my hard tonneau. I love the functionality -- particularly being able to transport things on top and the way it opens -- but worry about the value a bit. It's $700 more than the Mopar cover, and $550 more than the Rugged Ridge tri-fold.

I would welcome others' thoughts and experiences, recognizing that it's still early days for Gladiator accessories.
Sponsored

OcmulgeeOgre

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk’n Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have had a Diamondback HD on my Ford F-250 for about 5 years now. I have no major issues with it. It’s not weather or dust proof but I’ve had no major issues with anything stored under it. No issues with the coating on the exterior holding up to abuse from ATVs on top, etc.

I will be looking at one for my JT once it’s ordered.

OP
OP
LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I have had a Diamondback HD on my Ford F-250 for about 5 years now. I have no major issues with it. It’s not weather or dust proof but I’ve had no major issues with anything stored under it. No issues with the coating on the exterior holding up to abuse from ATVs on top, etc.
Can you elaborate a bit on the weather/dust issue? I don't need one that's 100% water tight, but 95% water tight would be nice. I plan to use this rig mostly for overlanding. The stuff in the back can take some water and dust, but I'd rather it not get saturated.

MontanaJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
I think they worked out the bugs for fitting the diamondback. The company has been good about helping with a cover with a small measuring mistake.
I think it will work well, my new one came today, and will be installed this weekend. I have the ladder rack which should slow for a roof top tent, and space under for more storage. It is expensive, but I won’t have to worry about theft of my fly fishing gear. Tacomaworld has great builds on over landing with this cover.
Down side is using cover with rack systems and opening the cover. kB voodoo has comparable racks, but can’t open the cover.

OcmulgeeOgre

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk’n Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Can you elaborate a bit on the weather/dust issue? I don't need one that's 100% water tight, but 95% water tight would be nice. I plan to use this rig mostly for overlanding. The stuff in the back can take some water and dust, but I'd rather it not get saturated.
Mine will get some minor water during downpours where the central gutters are. I believe it’s more related to small gaps in the weather stripping joints. Dust is minor but will be there if you run down long dirt roads.

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I think they worked out the bugs for fitting the diamondback. The company has been good about helping with a cover with a small measuring mistake.
I think it will work well, my new one came today, and will be installed this weekend. I have the ladder rack which should slow for a roof top tent, and space under for more storage. It is expensive, but I won’t have to worry about theft of my fly fishing gear. Tacomaworld has great builds on over landing with this cover.
Down side is using cover with rack systems and opening the cover. kB voodoo has comparable racks, but can’t open the cover.
Do you have the Diamondback ladder rack?

Any chance of seeing a picture of it installed?

Also, any more experience Re: weather/water resistance if that Diamondback cover? I’m thinking of doing the same setup as you for the bed cover...

MontanaJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
The diamondback is great, water tight, it has rained the last few days with no issues. Large yeti coolers won’t fit under though mostly due to the height of the gladiator bed. I am installing the rack hopefully this weekend, some drilling involved on the tonneau cover itself, and a part still has to come in. Tacomaworld has a diamondback modification thread which really got me into this cover, and different builds

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
The diamondback is great, water tight, it has rained the last few days with no issues. Large yeti coolers won’t fit under though mostly due to the height of the gladiator bed. I am installing the rack hopefully this weekend, some drilling involved on the tonneau cover itself, and a part still has to come in. Tacomaworld has a diamondback modification thread which really got me into this cover, and different builds

what exactly needs drilling?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I've very nearly talked myself into getting a Diamondback SE for my hard tonneau. I love the functionality -- particularly being able to transport things on top and the way it opens -- but worry about the value a bit. It's $700 more than the Mopar cover, and $550 more than the Rugged Ridge tri-fold.

I would welcome others' thoughts and experiences, recognizing that it's still early days for Gladiator accessories.
totally wanted a diamondback HD HARD, then realized I can't even pack enough shit into the bed under my $147 tonneau to fix my deer stand. I need a full topper like an Alu-Cab. time to move on for this hombre. Amazing capability though, quite nice.

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
totally wanted a diamondback HD HARD, then realized I can't even pack enough shit into the bed under my $147 tonneau to fix my deer stand. I need a full topper like an Alu-Cab. time to move on for this hombre. Amazing capability though, quite nice.
Load the top of the DB too

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
I'm thinking about getting the diamond SE now that I see this can be used to secure and haul a 14' kayak. Does this fit with the trail rail management system? Also, how easy is it to remove the entire cover? How much does it weight?

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I'm thinking about getting the diamond SE now that I see this can be used to secure and haul a 14' kayak. Does this fit with the trail rail management system? Also, how easy is it to remove the entire cover? How much does it weight?
It does use the tracks.

From the product specs page:

Hauling Capacity 400 lbs.
Dimensions Cab/Tailgate Panel: TBD
Center Panel: TBD
Total Cover Weight: ~70 lbs.
Construction .080” 3003 alloy aluminum grade
2 structural studs
4 tie-down cleats pre-installed
Neoprene compression gasket
Stainless steel hinges and external hardware
3/8“ steel lock rods
Die-cast zinc, keyed lock handles
5356 alloy TIG welds
In the Box DiamondBack HD (assembly required)
Gas springs (4)
Cap clamps (4)
Bed rail edge trim (4)
Safety catch
Bulkhead weatherstrip
1/8" hex key
Installation Time 75 min
Removal Time 10 min

Last edited:

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
FYI I got an email from Diamondback saying they will not be making the 270 (even tho they make them for the Taco & Colorado)
Me Sad
:(

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
It does use the tracks.

From the product specs page:

Hauling Capacity 400 lbs.
Dimensions Cab/Tailgate Panel: TBD
Center Panel: TBD
Total Cover Weight: ~70 lbs.
Construction .080” 3003 alloy aluminum grade
2 structural studs
4 tie-down cleats pre-installed
Neoprene compression gasket
Stainless steel hinges and external hardware
3/8“ steel lock rods
Die-cast zinc, keyed lock handles
5356 alloy TIG welds
In the Box DiamondBack HD (assembly required)
Gas springs (4)
Cap clamps (4)
Bed rail edge trim (4)
Safety catch
Bulkhead weatherstrip
1/8" hex key
Installation Time 75 min
Removal Time 10 min
Thanks! That was very helpful. Just to understand, you can't use the trail rail system unless you fully uninstall the diamondback cover correct? And to fully uninstall the cover it takes 10 mins to do.
Sponsored