Recall and Stop Sale on Certain 2020 Gladiators For Bad Driveshafts

rjs-az

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon, '16 4Runner Trail
Ok, this is confusing. I see folks posting here saying they took it in, getting replaced, ordering, etc.

My dealership says I am 2nd on their list but gives no indication of having ordered anything. Just that they will call me when they are ready for me to come in. Seems pretty lackadaisical to me.

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
I called local dealership 2 weeks ago to order part. I called again today. I could not get any information other than it is on order.

ROSSR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR..2015 JK
I got the same answer today
..allowed to order 1 every 7 days..of course they have none in stock..luckily I was the first to call them.."we'll save one with your name on it when it comes in"
50 minute install time
..last Thursday..very satisfied with service dept

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
I had my appointment last Friday. Dropped it off at 8am. Received the call at 9:45 that it was ready for pickup.

Actually had a very positive experience at this Jeep dealer and plan to use them again if anything else happens.

Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
I had my appointment last Friday. Dropped it off at 8am. Received the call at 9:45 that it was ready for pickup.

Actually had a very positive experience at this Jeep dealer and plan to use them again if anything else happens.
Which dealer was it?

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
Which dealer was it?
Troncalli in Cumming. I called them, spoke to a Service Advisor, explained I was part of the recall. They looked up the VIN, ordered the part, and scheduled the service. They also offered a Rental, which I did not take.

I called prior to confirm the part came in. Dropped off at 08:00 and work was completed quickly. All seems good at this point.

I also checked prices on some accessories and they quoted less money than Quadratec on wheels and lift. I was very surprised.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Troncalli in Cumming. I called them, spoke to a Service Advisor, explained I was part of the recall. They looked up the VIN, ordered the part, and scheduled the service. They also offered a Rental, which I did not take.

I called prior to confirm the part came in. Dropped off at 08:00 and work was completed quickly. All seems good at this point.

I also checked prices on some accessories and they quoted less money than Quadratec on wheels and lift. I was very surprised.
Good to know! I'll keep this one in mind since I work in Alpharetta. Did you buy your LE there?

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Well my experience did not go well. I go into the dealership to schedule the driveshaft replacement. I was told they can only order one shaft per 7 days and there are 27 in front of me. 6 month wait? They said there was nothing they could do but give me the FCA support 800 number. I call it and the agent said the part is not orderable at this time and that he tried to put an expedite on it. Funny, an expedite on a part that canā€™t be ordered.

I have driven my share of crappy rides held together with duct tape and zip ties, but this is really irritating. A driveshaft that can seize and separate does not paint a pretty picture at highway speeds with traffic. No parts. The big air bag thing wasnā€™t as bad. I always considered that as an extra safety feature. The driveshaft is a bit more necessary.

I actually regret this purchase now, it being my worst new vehicle experience ever.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Well my experience did not go well. I go into the dealership to schedule the driveshaft replacement. I was told they can only order one shaft per 7 days and there are 27 in front of me. 6 month wait? They said there was nothing they could do but give me the FCA support 800 number. I call it and the agent said the part is not orderable at this time and that he tried to put an expedite on it. Funny, an expedite on a part that canā€™t be ordered.

I have driven my share of crappy rides held together with duct tape and zip ties, but this is really irritating. A driveshaft that can seize and separate does not paint a pretty picture at highway speeds with traffic. No parts. The big air bag thing wasnā€™t as bad. I always considered that as an extra safety feature. The driveshaft is a bit more necessary.

I actually regret this purchase now, it being my worst new vehicle experience ever.
Correct me if I am wrong but the way I understand this recall, there is only a 5% suspect defect rate of a given range of those being covered by this recall. Basically 95% of those to probably include you, do not have a bad driveshaft, just the driveshaft is replaced because there is no non-destructive way to inspect.

I get that no one wants to even play with a 5% possibility, it certainly is not an inevitability you will have problems while waiting for the warranty replacement.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if I am wrong but the way I understand this recall, there is only a 5% suspect defect rate of a given range of those being covered by this recall. Basically 95% of those to probably include you, do not have a bad driveshaft, just the driveshaft is replaced because there is no non-destructive way to inspect.

I get that no one wants to even play with a 5% possibility, it certainly is not an inevitability you will have problems while waiting for the warranty replacement.
Respectfully, your attitude changes when you have the piece of paper in hand telling you how important it is for the safety of you and your passengers. It mentions nothing of any 5%. It does mentionā€... vehicle crash without warning.ā€ I had a ā€˜mehā€™ first impression myself when I first heard of it and found my VIN on the recall list. I did not see then what I have in hand now.

I grew up a Texas country boy and done too many ā€œhold my beer and watch this.ā€ stupid things. Iā€™m not a timid fella but I do not like the thought of a driveshaft coming apart in the traffic situations Iā€™m in everyday. Rural driving would bother me much less. Here, too many cars are packed together and driving like it is a video game. Iā€™ve seen vehicles that lost driveshafts before and several did have a horrific end. And my fix is 6 months out, so far out the dealership did not even say they put me on any list?

ā€˜Pull a shaft from the production line, park that unsold truck until a replacement is available. This recall just pushed me over the top as to the overall dissatisfaction. Iā€™m at that stage in my life where I can buy the toy of my dreams and I really wanted another Jeep truck having owned 3 others. This was a bad purchase experience and now this.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Respectfully, your attitude changes when you have the piece of paper in hand telling you how important it is for the safety of you and your passengers. It mentions nothing of any 5%. It does mentionā€... vehicle crash without warning.ā€ I had a ā€˜mehā€™ first impression myself when I first heard of it and found my VIN on the recall list. I did not see then what I have in hand now.

I grew up a Texas country boy and done too many ā€œhold my beer and watch this.ā€ stupid things. Iā€™m not a timid fella but I do not like the thought of a driveshaft coming apart in the traffic situations Iā€™m in everyday. Rural driving would bother me much less. Here, too many cars are packed together and driving like it is a video game. Iā€™ve seen vehicles that lost driveshafts before and several did have a horrific end. And my fix is 6 months out, so far out the dealership did not even say they put me on any list?

ā€˜Pull a shaft from the production line, park that unsold truck until a replacement is available. This recall just pushed me over the top as to the overall dissatisfaction. Iā€™m at that stage in my life where I can buy the toy of my dreams and I really wanted another Jeep truck having owned 3 others. This was a bad purchase experience and now this.
I get it, you want reassurance and rectification of the issue yesterday. Obviously that is not going to happen, so you really have no good options here.

If you do not mind me asking, what was your bad buying experience? Would you be less pissed if it was only the recall that stews your juices?

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get it, you want reassurance and rectification of the issue yesterday. Obviously that is not going to happen, so you really have no good options here.

If you do not mind me asking, what was your bad buying experience? Would you be less pissed if it was only the recall that stews your juices?
if you really want to know, read on. Itā€™s lengthy, but you did ask.

On April 4, I contacted this dealer to see if Affiliate pricing would be honored, they said no and the truck would be sold well over MSRP due to the demand. I said the LE was not to be assigned a Market uplift, that was part of the promotion. I was assured that I was mistaken. I thanked them and moved on to other area dealers to see what each might offer so that I would know where to assign my truck with the concierge.

The sales manager called me back later that day to correct their position, the truck would sell at MSRP. By this time, the reservations were closed and I had missed out. Sales manager tells me he ordered one for his father-in-law but felt the man would back out of the deal. They could get me into that truck, but it would have to be sold to me as used with the paper passing through the original buyerā€™s name. I am from the country and can spot that amount of BS two counties away. I chucked the LE idea at that point and settled in to wait for trucks on the lot. In the middle of May, I got one of those emails saying my reservation is with this dealership and I had to finalize it by that weekend.

Ok, I get an LE at MSRP. I donā€™t like the dealership, but price is fixed and Iā€™m not trading in my JK. How bad can it really go wrong?

I dropped by the dealership every 2 or 3 weeks checking the order status. I never pestered them, 2 weeks minimum between check-ins. I know some guys on the forum here were getting daily updates. The salesman once stated that I must not have anything to do but check on the order. He wasnā€™t there for on check-in and the staff there acted like I was bothering them asking for someone to do a quick lookup. It took less than 3 minutes but they acted like I was seriously inconveniencing them. The last time I checked with my salesman, I got the donā€™t call us, we will call you attitude.

Dealer did not notify me that the truck hit the rail yard as they said they would. I had told the salesman I needed the heads up to get my financing in place. He said they could help with that. I said I had my own deal worked out but did not want to paper it until the truck hits town. I did not want my pre-approval to expire considering the LE delays. I was surprised to get a call at 2:30 one afternoon telling me to come pick it up, it was prepped and ready. I was really busy working right then trying to literally save a million dollar deal. I had 3 people from the dealership continually texting and calling me even after I told them I was busy with work and would get back to them as soon as I could. Texts and calls kept coming while I tried to ty off the work. I did manage to save my company deal and jumped through hoops to get my truck financing paperwork. On The way to the dealership 1.5 miles away, they call and say my salesman has to leave to run a personal errand. No one else was allowed to help so I had to wait on him for an hour plus. Then I see that they added $900 worth of Apex security crap to the truck. I say I did not ask for it, donā€™t want it, and it is not part of the LE package. They tell me they put that on all the cars and it canā€™t come off. They even said it was not a traditional add-on and came under the doc fee or whatever. The salesman then takes me to the finance guy and said they would get me a good rate. I tell them I already have approval and know my rate. They both looked like I stole their Halloween candy. The finance guy calls a colleague to ask what their Wells Fargo rate is. I ask him why he is asking such a question, I have a loan already. He fills in the loan contract and somehow the rate he entered is higher than what was on my approval letter. Had I not caught that, I would have paid even more for the truck. I know dealers get the delta on rates, not my first rodeo.

I consider the above to be a lack of respect and straightforward dealings. They sold an LE at MSRP, be happy with that. I did get a lower level extended warranty but no other aftermarket up sell items. My warranties have paid for themselves on previous vehicles so I find them worthwhile. And I guess I have some spiffy Apex security system. I forgot to mention that the dealership owner also has an interest in the Apex thing, so that lined another of his pockets. They sent me a referral letter to give to a friend that wants a car, $100 to me if they closed a deal. I ran it through the shredder. I canā€™t send anyone there in good conscience. Hell is hot from what I hear.

I had put the purchase misadventure behind me and this recall brings it all back with a vengeance. 6 months for a part. SIX!

All of the enjoyment is gone. When I look at the truck, I just feel regret. Iā€™ve bought 7 jeeps in my life and this is turning out to be the most problematic of them all. As of now, I wish I had waited. I would have picked a better dealer, gotten a discount and missed the driveshaft issue that makes me want to drive my JK and leave the JT parked.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
@AggieJeep
Understand you are pissed, that stealership sucks. So, why in the heLL would you go there for anything? Shitty thing now is, now that your VIN has been entered there (27th in line), you can't go down the road an hour, to a actual dealership, to 1 that maybe doesn't have 27 in front of you. You may have to get @JeepCares involved to remove their hold on your VIN. So you can go to a dealership that can do your recall within a month
Sponsored