First Name
frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-7 Laredo, 1982 CJ-7 "The Texan", 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
shop owner
Just picked up the Gobi JT from Spencer in Spirit Lake, (flawless, easy transaction.) While many things are the same from my JL, I have to say the 6 speed is totally different. My 6 speed in the JL vibrated when I drove, (just like my JK's) was clunky, and occasionally would grind in 2nd. The new 6speed in the JT is amazing. No vibration when driving, easy shifts, very solid feeling, and a dream! Yes the Auto seems faster, and easier, but if you want a stick, do not hesitate with this one, it is simply un-jeep like it its execution. Jeep did a good job on this!!
Sponsored

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Good to hear. I gave serious consideration to the stick but long island traffic and wanting remote start put me in an auto.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Just picked up the Gobi JT from Spencer in Spirit Lake, (flawless, easy transaction.) While many things are the same from my JL, I have to say the 6 speed is totally different. My 6 speed in the JL vibrated when I drove, (just like my JK's) was clunky, and occasionally would grind in 2nd. The new 6speed in the JT is amazing. No vibration when driving, easy shifts, very solid feeling, and a dream! Yes the Auto seems faster, and easier, but if you want a stick, do not hesitate with this one, it is simply un-jeep like it its execution. Jeep did a good job on this!!
Congrats ! Good Choice ! We also love our 3 pedal Gladiator Rubicon. Any pics ?

Note: try this - after driving the Gladiator, stop at a level spot, and let out the clutch and put on the emergency brake. The engine will turn off. Listen to the stereo for a few min..., then, open the door to get out. You will get a surprise ! lol.

Note2: The hill assist is really cool. It only lasts a few seconds when you let off the brake, but, it is very intuitive and works really well.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My experience, too. Only small observation is the gearing for 5th and 6th seems a tad tall. Even going up gentle hills under ideal conditions (no added weight, no weather factors) I find that I must downshift. As for the feel of the shifter, with only one exception, every vehicle I've ever owned in over a half century has had a stick. This one has the best shifter feel of any of them. And the clutch pedal is a tad light and the exhaust very quiet, which is why it can be tricky to feel your way to engagement/disengagement.

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302

Note: try this - after driving the Gladiator, stop at a level spot, and let out the clutch and put on the emergency brake. The engine will turn off. Listen to the stereo for a few min..., then, open the door to get out. You will get a surprise ! lol.

Note2: The hill assist is really cool. It only lasts a few seconds when you let off the brake, but, it is very intuitive and works really well.
I want to know what the surprise is!

Sponsored

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.

1) Are you saying to leave it in gear & kill the engine, or are you saying to put it in neutral & let ESS kill the engine??? What is the surprise??

2) I disabled the hill assist before I drove it off the lot. The original 1941 Jeeps didn't have & mine doesn't need it either...

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Wait, you bought an auto and now you want a stick shift owner to tell you our secrets? Next thing you know you'll be asking what the plaque at Traveler's Monument in the middle of Soda Lake along the Mojave Road says. Some secrets are meant for those who earn them. ;-)

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/travelers-monument
But I dont have a Gladiator yet. So, no I didn’t buy an auto and want to know what the surprise is.

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
But I dont have a Gladiator yet. So, no I didn’t buy an auto and want to know what the surprise is.
Spoiler alert: When you open the door, the engine starts up again. Freaking idiotic auto start-stop crap. You're saving, perhaps a shotglass of gas per year with it, at the expense of having 2 batteries and all kinds of unnecessary wear and tear on the engine. Not for me, thank you.

Sponsored

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Also have a 6-speed through @spenchy. I use the ESS (ASS), currently 19.1mpg average at almost 3000 miles. Yes, the engine will start again if you open the door, or press harder on the brakes, or turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times after it shuts off. I do force it off, by putting in in gear at stops to keep it from starting again until I put my foot on the clutch. The hill start feature is nice, puts a 2 second hold on your brakes before letting go. Drive it like a 4-speed with OD, and you'll be good. Leave 6th for anything over 70mph.

IMG_20190929_181347.jpg

Expedition JT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT, 94 YJ, CJ-8 Scrambler
Also have a 6-speed through @spenchy. I use the ESS (ASS), currently 19.1mpg average at almost 3000 miles. Yes, the engine will start again if you open the door, or press harder on the brakes, or turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times after it shuts off. I do force it off, by putting in in gear at stops to keep it from starting again until I put my foot on the clutch. The hill start feature is nice, puts a 2 second hold on your brakes before letting go. Drive it like a 4-speed with OD, and you'll be good. Leave 6th for anything over 70mph.

IMG_20190929_181347.jpg
Too bad the reverse is in the wrong spot on the sticker haha

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
I'm sure it was meant to deceive would-be-thieves who are frantically trying to figure out how to steal the manual truck :LOL:
For previous JK's it's correct, but haven't found anyone making a correct version for the JL/JT yet. When I do, I'll replace it.