First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Anyone else hate that the CarPlay resizes?? It's probably my biggest complaint. It turns my 7" screen into a 5". Apparently Android Auto works with the full screen, but not Apple. I see that the latest IOS even gives automakers the ability to resize, but FCA isn't stepping up. Most info I can find is on the JL Forum with @JeepCares acknowledging that it's an issue, but no real updates.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/apple-carplay-resizing.31812/page-3

I'd much rather have an Android anyway, but work recently changed over to iPhones unfortunately.
Sponsored

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone else hate that the CarPlay resizes?? It's probably my biggest complaint. It turns my 7" screen into a 5".
Could you post a pic of what you are seeing? Also, which version of iOS are you on, which USB are you plugging in to, and are you using a factory Apple cord or an aftermarket one? Sorry so many questions, but may help eliminate issue.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Could you post a pic of what you are seeing? Also, which version of iOS are you on, which USB are you plugging in to, and are you using a factory Apple cord or an aftermarket one? Sorry so many questions, but may help eliminate issue.
Here's a picture copied from the thread I linked, but represents what I'm seeing. There's an orange border around what is CarPlay that reduces the image dramatically so as to retain the Jeep features on the left, right, and bottom borders. My company car (2019 Chevy Equinox) does not do this but rather provides a full screen and is what I would expect.

0C5351A8-EB00-4424-A6DD-935B6597ACBC.jpeg

This is especially annoying when using Google Maps.

I currently have 13.1.3 plugged into the USB 1 port using an Apple cable. I have tried different ports and different cables. My wife's iPhone does the same. As far as I'm able to discover, anyone with an Apple on the 7" UConnect has this issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else hate that the CarPlay resizes?? It's probably my biggest complaint. It turns my 7" screen into a 5". Apparently Android Auto works with the full screen, but not Apple. I see that the latest IOS even gives automakers the ability to resize, but FCA isn't stepping up. Most info I can find is on the JL Forum with @JeepCares acknowledging that it's an issue, but no real updates.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/apple-carplay-resizing.31812/page-3

I'd much rather have an Android anyway, but work recently changed over to iPhones unfortunately.
That's interesting as being a government entity - when I worked IT for the state - employees were not allowed to plug their phones into anything at all other than a charging device. No vehicle, no computer, nothing. Too many cases of damage to equipment.
I just found it interesting as I would have never thought of plugging a work phone into my vehicle, not used to seeing that people do.
The difference between government security and non-government.

Looks like a simple matter of resolution, icon sizes. I would think their solution should be quite simple. Does Apple allow you to resize things on your phone?

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
That's interesting as being a government entity - when I worked IT for the state - employees were not allowed to plug their phones into anything at all other than a charging device. No vehicle, no computer, nothing. Too many cases of damage to equipment.
I just found it interesting as I would have never thought of plugging a work phone into my vehicle, not used to seeing that people do.
The difference between government security and non-government.

Looks like a simple matter of resolution, icon sizes. I would think their solution should be quite simple. Does Apple allow you to resize things on your phone?
I plug my phone into the car as soon as I get in. Good for Spotify, Google Maps, voiced text, etc. Immensely safer than going over Bluetooth and picking up the phone for a song change or what have you. I'll plug it in and the phone never gets touched. It's great for work for directions and a map on the screen in new areas.

But anyway, it's not mirroring what is on my phone screen to the UConnect, so I don't think there is really anything I can do on the phone side unfortunately. In the IOS update I have, it mentions the update giving the automakers the ability to manipulate their side to work as they see fit. Ultimately I think FCA just needs to catch up and put out a TSB for a software update. Android Auto works and no one complains if they have the 8.4. Don't leave us 7" guys with Apple in the dust!

CD27CD37-DB5B-4E93-9199-B3813C965BFE.png

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I plug my phone into the car as soon as I get in. Good for Spotify, Google Maps, voiced text, etc. Immensely safer than going over Bluetooth and picking up the phone for a song change or what have you. I'll plug it in and the phone never gets touched. It's great for work for directions and a map on the screen in new areas.

But anyway, it's not mirroring what is on my phone screen to the UConnect, so I don't think there is really anything I can do on the phone side unfortunately. In the IOS update I have, it mentions the update giving the automakers the ability to manipulate their side to work as they see fit. Ultimately I think FCA just needs to catch up and put out a TSB for a software update. Android Auto works and no one complains if they have the 8.4. Don't leave us 7" guys with Apple in the dust!

CD27CD37-DB5B-4E93-9199-B3813C965BFE.png
Gotcha - it does sound like a Jeep thing.......... if it's not correctly mirroring your phone.

I don't do monthly payments for anything, and I keep my music on a USB stick in the console slot at this point.
I've connected my LG via cable but wasn't fond of it - that may change later. Maybe it's that I have the 8.4 and don't need the phone for maps or directions - but the dealer did say as the maps in the uconnect age, the phone will always be more current......

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. I thought that description was different from what I was seeing.
IMG_0180.jpg

As you can see, mine uses the full width of the display (so it's actually 7" wide) and leaves room top and bottom for the necessary Jeep controls (actual CarPlay screen size then is 4" tall by 7" wide). For what it's worth, my father owns the same Wrangler model complained about in that other thread, and his looks like mine does (had him send me a photo). It must be something with your version of the Uconnect Software? Do you have the latest? The screenshot from the other forum also appears to be using an older version of the head unit software.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Thanks for the feedback @OneTraveler !

Your father has the 7" UConnect and his CarPlay spans across the entire width of the screen? What year is his Wrangler? I see you're running the 8.4" UConnect.

I'll have to check my software release in the morning.

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback @OneTraveler !

Your father has the 7" UConnect and his CarPlay spans across the entire width of the screen? What year is his Wrangler? I see you're running the 8.4" UConnect.

I'll have to check my software release in the morning.
OMG! My apologies. I missed the 7" Uconnect (or more accurately forget that mine was the 8.4")....his wrangler is an 18 i believe (maybe newer, I swear every time I see him he's got a new one)...i'll try to facetime with him later to confirm a few things....

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
OMG! My apologies. I missed the 7" Uconnect (or more accurately forget that mine was the 8.4")....his wrangler is an 18 i believe (maybe newer, I swear every time I see him he's got a new one)...i'll try to facetime with him later to confirm a few things....
Did you ever happen to speak with your father on if he has an 8.4" or 7.0"? Thanks!

Sponsored

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever happen to speak with your father on if he has an 8.4" or 7.0"? Thanks!
He and Mom are out traveling (in a different rig) but should be back in the next few days. He said he'll shoot me some pictures then.
Apologies on the response delay....

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
@JeepCares Any chance of a software update for us Apple folk? Still super annoying!!

jrb517

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow - Bright White, 2008 BMW 328i e93
Occupation
Software
@JeepCares just got a new 2020 gladiator and this has to be the thing I like least about the Uconnect system. If apple allows for overlays on top of CarPlay (i.e. adjusting fan speed pops up over Carplay for ~2 seconds), why can't Uconnect do the same for the driver and passenger temp and heated seat/steering wheel status ONLY when it is changed? From a Software Engineer's perspective it sounds like a no-brainer to add more Carplay real-estate. Thanks!

jrb517

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow - Bright White, 2008 BMW 328i e93
Occupation
Software
In case anyone was looking for an update, I contacted Jeep's customer support team asking if there was any formal way of submitting a bug or software issue related to the UConnect 7" system in 2020 Jeeps. I explained the wasted space and the fact that apple allows for irregularly sized screens. They responded with a "Consider this your formal way to submit software issues such as these, thank you for your request, the issue is currently not being worked on.", which was kind of disappointing. Maybe the more other people complain about this issue the more likely it is to be fixed? Or they're just planning on using it as a way to get people into the 2021 Gladiator...

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
In case anyone was looking for an update, I contacted Jeep's customer support team asking if there was any formal way of submitting a bug or software issue related to the UConnect 7" system in 2020 Jeeps. I explained the wasted space and the fact that apple allows for irregularly sized screens. They responded with a "Consider this your formal way to submit software issues such as these, thank you for your request, the issue is currently not being worked on.", which was kind of disappointing. Maybe the more other people complain about this issue the more likely it is to be fixed? Or they're just planning on using it as a way to get people into the 2021 Gladiator...
Thanks for the update. Interesting that they aren’t even looking into it. Guys on the JL forum have been complaining about it well before the JTs were even made available. This is too bad @JeepCares . It’s a silly problem that should be relatively straight forward...
Sponsored