7.3 gas v8

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Let's talk about this. Its so hard to google this topic because of googles terrible search algorithms these days.

Is it even legal to put a ford crate engine in a jeep, what are the consequences? Will the 7.3L gas v8 fit, and where can we shop for one? Links pls.

The 7.3L gas v8 sparked my eye for the gladiator, anyone else? I know its said to be meant for large capacity towing, but im in it for other matters. Vroom vroom.
Sponsored

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
I would say no due to emission and safety reasons. The ford engine would be wider and longer, therefore taking away the "crumple zones" for impacts. The same reason Jeep doesn't put the V8's from the Chrysler line in them.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I put a 6.4 Hemi in mine. I put a 6.2 LS engine in my 1987 LR Defender. No brainer upgrades unless cost is a big constraint. The larger engine is actually safer for the occupants of your vehicle, but not any vehicle you hit. The drivetrain is designed to absorb energy and go under the passenger compartment. Crumple zones are built into the chassis and body and have little to do with the engine other than smaller engines tend to have better engineered crumple zones.

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yes it is legal. Plenty of conversion companies out there doing HEMI 5.7 and 6.4 swaps. Even a company out in Nevada doing Chevy LS swaps and the legal emissions stuff is retained.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Legal? You must live in California or something. I live in TN and could put a jet engine in my Jeep and it would be street legal.
Even in California, there is CARB legal conversion engine swaps.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Just to get you excited, here is a walk around video of the 6.2L (2012 Camaro engine and tranny) in my Defender. I did all the work myself and it completely changed the character of the truck.

OP
OP
Blisskiss

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You caught me green handed. I do live in Cali. Yeah I've heard of other swaps, but never seen something like FORD under the hood of JEEP. Haha you know what I mean?

So what is a website that sells a 7.3L gas v8? And does anyone know a good autoshop I can contact to consult such a task? Location - San Diego, but if anyone knows a shop that they trust I don't mind distance.

Last edited:

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
You might want to actually lay a tape measure on a gas 7.3L before you go too far - I would think that is a ginormous engine (dimensionally)
We know what engines will fit in a JL/JT, and how much room is left over. So there is your benchmark - compare that measurement to the big Ford. Don't forget you have to have a transmission too, is the Ford one bigger than what Dodge uses? Unknown.
NOT saying it couldn't work, but there would be a Lot of homework to do, and a phonecall to a shop likely won't get the ball rolling.

Good Luck-

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 7.3 big block trucks are just now hitting dealerships. Like, just now as in this week. So give it a little time and you'll be able to find them in salvage yards around the nation.

The impressive thing about Ford's new big block is that it's a traditional port injection, push rod V8 which means it'll be stone age simple to modify and maintain as the years pass, unlike any prior Ford or Dodge V8 of the last decade.

Sponsored

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
I would entertain waiting for the new Ford Bronco. Be one of the first to swap in a 7.3

OP
OP
Blisskiss

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
But the solid axle though

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
You caught me green handed. I do live in Cali. Yeah I've heard of other swaps, but never seen something like FORD under the hood of JEEP. Haha you know what I mean?

So what is a website that sells a 7.3L gas v8? And does anyone know a good autoshop I can contact to consult such a task? Location - San Diego, but if anyone knows a shop that they trust I don't mind distance.
You can only put a Mopar engine, available that model year across FCA models, in a Jeep in Kalifornia. Go check CARB here: https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.aspx

So no, you can’t put a Ford engine in a Jeep and be legal in Kalifornia. Also, you won’t find a way to mount it, you won’t find an adapter kit to connect it to the drivetrain, and I’ll go and say it, you never will.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The Ford 7.3 is only marginally more potent than the FCA 6.4 , and the 6.4 will drop right in without a bunch of Rube Goldberg fab work.

I kinda doubt you can even buy a Ford 7.3 crate, and if you could it would be a massive mechanical and electrical/computer undertaking for 20hp more than the 6.4 that is effectively plug and play.

Put in a 6.4 and a tuner and the Ford is moot.
Put in a Hellcrate and the Ford will just shit itself right there in the crate.
Sponsored