Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator Mojave Edition! [Updated With Live Pics and Chassis/Suspension Breakdown]

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I do wish they kept the payload and towing up to at least the Rubicon level
The payload is the same as the Rubi which I find kind of impressive since the truck should be heavier with the beefed up frame and knuckles. I guess the tow rating is where it took the hit. I think that is probably acceptable for the intended use of this version.
Sponsored

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
Hopefully this model sticks around for when my lease is up and I can upgrade. I love cruising through the desert.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I am with a few others on here, only interested in the trade-offs regarding the frame strengthening and cast iron knuckles vs the Rubicon. Everything else is cool but can be achieved and surpassed via the aftermarket easily. I have a JTR and want to know if I am missing out on some longevity or strain resistance due to aluminum knuckles and the standard brackets and crossmember mounts

I want some sort of performance indicators or engineering analysis as to why Jeep deemed the change was necessary for only the Mojave. If it was to prevent fatigue cracking / hysteresis / impact fracturing due to jumping or high speed impacts, why wouldn't they have included these enhancements across the board for all JTs? I mean, every trim of JT has a high likelihood of getting turned into an off-road rig that is subject to high-stress instances.

In a fewer words: I *almost* feel betrayed by FCA for getting a Rubicon because it seems to have a second best frame now.

For $50K+ investment, I get to bring this point up.
As i mentioned earlier they have learned from Ford`s experience with the early Raptors. Many of the early Ford Raptors suffered from bent frames from jumping and hitting whoops at 60 mph plus. Whether this would happen with the regular Gladiator frame Jeep is smart enough not to what to find out unless unknown to us they did find out. With the Raptor the aftermarket came to the rescue and offered a bolt on frame brace kit that bolted to the areas where the frames were bending. The braces were an easy install and cost around $300 and they worked, i`m sure one of the suspension manufactures will offer one up.

I too what to know if these are truly weak spots or a marketing ploy or them just being cautious.

Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JTR and want to know if I am missing out on some longevity or strain resistance due to aluminum knuckles and the standard brackets and crossmember mounts

I want some sort of performance indicators or engineering analysis as to why Jeep deemed the change was necessary for only the Mojave. If it was to prevent fatigue cracking / hysteresis / impact fracturing due to jumping or high speed impacts, why wouldn't they have included these enhancements across the board for all JTs? I mean, every trim of JT has a high likelihood of getting turned into an off-road rig that is subject to high-stress instances.
As i mentioned earlier they have learned from Ford`s experience with the early Raptors. Many of the early Ford Raptors suffered from bent frames from jumping and hitting whoops at 60 mph plus. Whether this would happen with the regular Gladiator frame Jeep is smart enough not to what to find out unless unknown to us they did find out. With the Raptor the aftermarket came to the rescue and offered a bolt on frame brace kit that bolted to the areas where the frames were bending. The braces were an easy install and cost around $300 and they worked, i`m sure one of the suspension manufactures will offer one up.

I too what to know if these are truly weak spots or a marketing ploy or them just being cautious.
It is probably a simple case of F=m*a. When rock crawling and doing "Rubicon" things, FCA knows that the a portion of that formula is going to be low. While doing "Mojave" things, a is going to be much greater, so they beefed up the frame (probably learning from Ford as RH 67 says).

Rock crawling
5,000lbs * 3mph = 15,000lbs hitting the frame

Dune jumping
5,000lbs * 25mph = 125,000lbs hitting the frame

Of course that is an extremely over simplified take of the forces involved and other components that reduce the forces. It does however show, in simple terms, why FCA would deem the beefed up frame for the Mojave and not for the rest of the lineup. I don't think most of the JT owners out there are jumping their Rubicons.

I also don't think that the Mojave is a more capable version than the Rubicon. The only places I think it would truly excel over the Rubicon at in the real world is jumping, sand dunes and maybe on road ride comfort. I'm hoping that the price will reflect that and come in just a little under the Rubicon, but I highly doubt it. If the new suspension is just the FOX Factory Racing stuff you can already buy, that alone is about a $3,500 upgrade.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
That looks cool, but I don't think I would want to jump a $50k plus vehicle, or even go high speed off road.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Hate to say it but serious desert runners will laugh at what the Mojave offers at just 285HP/260T compared to something like the Raptor at 450HP/510T as standard equipment. I only say this because that is how Jeep is advertising the Mojave...high speed desert running. The press release Mojave video is lame. My mother-in-law could drive a Bronco II through the same trails at the same speed. Pick up the pace Jeep if you want to seriously enter the desert running arena.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
What is considered "high speed" in desert running? Is it 50mph? How fast can 4Low go? 25mph? Is 4L even needed when driving fast across a desert? 4H can go up to 45-55pmh, wouldn't that be enough? Or do lockers HAVE to be engaged in 4L due to some mechanical nature of their principled design?

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to say it but serious desert runners will laugh at what the Mojave offers at just 285HP/260T compared to something like the Raptor at 450HP/510T as standard equipment. I only say this because that is how Jeep is advertising the Mojave...high speed desert running. The press release Mojave video is lame. My mother-in-law could drive a Bronco II through the same trails at the same speed. Pick up the pace Jeep if you want to seriously enter the desert running arena.
I agree 100% with this... and I'm not even a desert runner. I think they should be marketing this as the overlanding version of the JT.

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I agree 100% with this... and I'm not even a desert runner. I think they should be marketing this as the overlanding version of the JT.
Considering that every JT at SEMA was a variation of overland / bug out ready, I'm honestly surprised that this wasn't the approach.

Well, I guess except for this guy.

2019.11.5-Jeep-Gladiator.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Now THIS is a nice package. I'd buy this over a Rubicon.

Scottdip

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
This is just my opinion, I think any desert runner should have IFS.

It doesn't NEED it but the vehicle would be better at speed with IFS.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
From an overlanding rig build point of view, the Mojave throws a big wrench in the Rubi vs S Max thought process. I'd love to see some part numbers on the FOX bits to see if they could support a 2" lift. If they can, the Mojave will probably put this debate to bed... for me at least.
Sponsored