BK_Yeti

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using the hell out of the factory skids on some not terribly advanced rock trails at Rausch and AOAA. Any views from the group on whether the factory skid plates and rails are sufficient, or if something more (full pan?) is required.
Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, I just asked the same question. I second this ask, anyone have any specific additional skids needed for playing in the rocks with the Gladiator?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I’m beating on mine pretty hard too. It seems to me that the plates themselves are mostly sufficient, but the hollow crossmembers are not going to last. I’ve already been eying options. I wish I had access to some JL products to see if they fit. I feel like they will from the t-case forward, but can’t confirm.

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Hey guys, maybe you can fill me in regarding if the Rubi has any extra skid protection vs the overland. I remember this being a difference in the wranglers. Trying to make sure I have bases covered should I go somewhere a bit more aggressive (thinking a road trip in the future)

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a JKUR that I rock crawl in Texas, Moab etc...bought it over 8yrs ago. Stock skids and I've banged and drug them over a lot of rocks. So I'll stick with stock on the truck too, its been to CO and TX rocks as well (not much yet, tho). The stock ones are pretty tough.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BK_Yeti

BK_Yeti

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, maybe you can fill me in regarding if the Rubi has any extra skid protection vs the overland. I remember this being a difference in the wranglers. Trying to make sure I have bases covered should I go somewhere a bit more aggressive (thinking a road trip in the future)
The sense I got is that there is no difference. References them as a standard feature on the product page if I recall correctly.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
On my JK (Gobi Gladiator just ordered last week) I replaced the differential covers, and added the Rock Hard Engine Oil Pan Protection (basically glues onto the stock pan). I also moved the evaporative condenser and the steering stabilizer out of danger's way. I added skid plates to the front lower control arms, and the rear shock mounts. Since my X (basically a Sport) didn't come with rock rails, I added Shrockworks rock rails. Those are way more solid than anything the factory offers you--which isn't meant to say the factory rock rails are insufficient, but rather there is stronger if that's what you feel you need. Some of this is likely unnecessary on the JLs and JTs because the factory got the word to move a few things to better protect them. I think, anyway. I'll let you know in a few weeks when my Gladiator arrives. ;-)

TransAmerica Trail, Aug-Sep 18, Post-trip, 5_7240, Rear End.jpg

TransAmerica Trail, Aug-Sep 18, Post-trip, 5_7246, Evaporative Canister Relocation.jpg

TransAmerica Trail, Aug-Sep 18, Post-trip, 5_7307, Rear Shock Skids.jpg

TransAmerica Trail, Aug-Sep 18, Post-trip, 5_7316, Oil Pan Protection.jpg

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
This area concerns me on my manual transmission equipped JTR. Oil pan, exhaust and bottom of the trans all un protected. Looking for options. Artec bellypan looks awesome but $$$$
F3B9366D-D515-415F-A2C4-D2EAC199CA6F.jpeg

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
My rear frame control arm brackets gave in before any of my skid plates. I straightened them, and bought the Rusty’s skids. I still want an oil pan and transfer case skid plate when someone has one available at a reasonable price...

EE18666B-FE47-4416-AE62-00516B2DEC91.jpeg

Last edited:

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My rear frame control arm brackets gave in before any of my skid plates. I straightened them bought the Rusty’s skids. I still want an oil pan and transfer case skid plate when someone has one available at a reasonable price...

EE18666B-FE47-4416-AE62-00516B2DEC91.jpeg
Good to know. Never had any issues with CA brackets on TJs or JKs before. Maybe the long wheelbase setting these up to be bashed more?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation