Sponsored

Aftermarket bumpers not fitting skid plates.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I’ve been researching the large pool of bumpers out there and there seems to be one common issue I keep reading about. It seems most of these are not compatible with the oem skid plates.

For those of you that have installed these bumpers, did you ever replace the oem skid plate with something else? Or did ya just take it off and forget about it? I don’t plan on doing any off roading but I’d think the skid plate would still provide a good bit of protection from random crap on the roads.

Also, if y’all have any suggestions on bumpers that fit the oem skid plate, pls send a link my way. Thanks!
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
It depends, there are 2 Gladiator Rubicon Skid plates. The skid plate that comes with the Rubicon steel bumper actually bolts into the Rubicon steel bumper. This one will probably not fit well with after market. The Rubicon skid plate that comes with the plastic bumper does not bolt to the plastic bumper and will probably work well with aftermarket. Then, there are the skid plates on the other models. Here is a picture of where the Rubicon steel bumper bolts into the Rubicon skid plate. The Rubicon plastic bumper setup does not have this connection and is missing the "lip" that extends the skip plate onto the bumper.

LXaKbn.jpg

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
It depends, there are 2 Gladiator Rubicon Skid plates. The skid plate that comes with the Rubicon steel bumper actually bolts into the Rubicon steel bumper. This one will probably not fit well with after market. The Rubicon skid plate that comes with the plastic bumper does not bolt to the plastic bumper and will probably work well with aftermarket. Then, there are the skid plates on the other models. Here is a picture of where the Rubicon steel bumper bolts into the Rubicon skid plate. The Rubicon plastic bumper setup does not have this connection and is missing the "lip" that extends the skip plate onto the bumper.

LXaKbn.jpg
do you know the part number for the plastic rubicon skid plate?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
do you know the part number for the plastic rubicon skid plate?
Here are pics of the steel Rubicon skid plate that goes with the Rubicon plastic bumper. You can see the part number on the skid plate and the two brackets you need to attach it. I took these parts off when I added the Rubicon steel bumper and matching skid plate which you saw in my previous post.

SZuziC.jpg

WDpigR.jpg

00A84h.jpg

goA8ha.jpg

kWsuRi.jpg

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
Here are pics of the steel Rubicon skid plate that goes with the Rubicon plastic bumper. You can see the part number on the skid plate and the two brackets you need to attach it. I took these parts off when I added the Rubicon steel bumper and matching skid plate which you saw in my previous post.

SZuziC.jpg

WDpigR.jpg

00A84h.jpg

goA8ha.jpg

kWsuRi.jpg
Thank you!. Does Jeep make a plastic skid plate for the rubicon model? I know the plastic one is the same for Sport, Sport S and Overland but I always thought there was a smaller plastic skid plate (allowing better ground clearance for approach angle) for the plastic bumper on the Rubicon models

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!. Does Jeep make a plastic skid plate for the rubicon model? I know the plastic one is the same for Sport, Sport S and Overland but I always thought there was a smaller plastic skid plate (allowing better ground clearance for approach angle) for the plastic bumper on the Rubicon models
The plastic ones are air dams and they offer nearly no protection. Rubicons with the plastic front bumper have the metal skid plate that doesn’t attach to the bumper shown above. The metal bumper Rubis have a version of the metal skid that attach to the metal bumper. I’m still waiting on my Ace JT expedition front bumper to find out if I can make the factory skid work.

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doetschoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon,. 2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Aftermarket will mostly all purposely push you in to their own skids when possible....

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Aftermarket will mostly all purposely push you in to their own skids when possible....
I agree. I have a grinder, welder, drills and general fab skills that might help me buck that trend but sometimes it not worth the effort or time. We’ll see.

lobelsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Gator
Rubicon plastic bumper and steel skid plate.

Can use skid plate with the Fishbone offroad mid width. My pics in bumper thread.

MoultrieGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Physician
Only thing I have had an issue with is not having brackets for the posterior-most bolts on the skid plate after installing a warn winch plate which required removing OEM brackets

Sponsored

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
The plastic ones are air dams and they offer nearly no protection. Rubicons with the plastic front bumper have the metal skid plate that doesn’t attach to the bumper shown above. The metal bumper Rubis have a version of the metal skid that attach to the metal bumper. I’m still waiting on my Ace JT expedition front bumper to find out if I can make the factory skid work.
Ace Expedition bumper will not work with the steel skid from the Rubi plastic bumper. I cut the corners off mine to make it work. IMHO the curved lines of the Mopar skid don't look right with the angular Ace bumper so I ultimately left the skid off. Got tired of waiting for Ace to release a skid so now I have one on the way from JCR that looks like it will sit further in and not hit the Ace. Just shipped today. Pic below was my "adapted" Mopar skid...
72F47D91-7F02-4390-8A6B-4A23E61C804F.jpeg

This link is the skid I'll be trying:
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JLSD-FL.html

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ace Expedition bumper will not work with the steel skid from the Rubi plastic bumper. I cut the corners off mine to make it work. IMHO the curved lines of the Mopar skid don't look right with the angular Ace bumper so I ultimately left the skid off. Got tired of waiting for Ace to release a skid so now I have one on the way from JCR that looks like it will sit further in and not hit the Ace. Just shipped today. Pic below was my "adapted" Mopar skid...
72F47D91-7F02-4390-8A6B-4A23E61C804F.jpeg

This link is the skid I'll be trying:
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JLSD-FL.html
Thanks for this post and pic. Very helpful. Let us know how the JCR skid works. Need something to protect the disco motor

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ‘82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
7C92B888-F82D-4C58-992E-57F3DBC3FAE4.jpeg
50B90697-B433-4E62-8074-8B96D811B9EA.jpeg
RR HD is good with a skid off a plastic bumper Rubi.....

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
I had to cut the sides of my air damn to fit with my EAG stubby. It cleans it up a bit but mostly, without it mileage drops about 2mpg. My gas is free but I hate stopping. I may try looking for one by EAG but none of them fit for certain.

20200228_180944.jpg

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had to cut the sides of my air damn to fit with my EAG stubby. It cleans it up a bit but mostly, without it mileage drops about 2mpg. My gas is free but I hate stopping. I may try looking for one by EAG but none of them fit for certain.

20200228_180944.jpg
Thanks for posting. Good to see a variety. Free gas??!!!?!!!
Sponsored