First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon,2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition White
Occupation
Sales CDJR
Has anyone opened the hood vents to let more heat escape from under hood? If so any water problems with rain or snow? Thanks.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've not done it to my JT but have done it on 2 other Jeeps. Rain and snow not a problem really, birds, squirrels and like things were and are a problem. So it depends on how open the vents are.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
The rubicon hoods are supposed to be open but with shielded vents so air gets out and debris stay out.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
No problem yet (have driven in the rain). Did waterproof battery connections and discarded felt battery cover.

IMG_0319.jpg

OP
OP
Whiteknight

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales CDJR
Thanks, just removing the heat shield under the hood and cutting out the plastic under stock vents on a Launch Edition like a Rubicon hood is all. No plans to make something to accommodate a blower or any major cut outs:) Any problems arise will post warnings. Hope no posts will follow.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Thanks, just removing the heat shield under the hood and cutting out the plastic under stock vents on a Launch Edition like a Rubicon hood is all. No plans to make something to accommodate a blower or any major cut outs:) Any problems arise will post warnings. Hope no posts will follow.
Any pictures of the vents from under the hood with the heat shield removed?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Since Jeep struggled to keep engine temps down, in an effort to get tow ratings up, I have to assume that any additional cooling benefits that may be gleaned are nullified by the effort required, since the factory hood is not vented.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Since Jeep struggled to keep engine temps down, in an effort to get tow ratings up, I have to assume that any additional cooling benefits that may be gleaned are nullified by the effort required, since the factory hood is not vented.
Often more holes makes cooling worse, as it directs the path of cooling air out a channel it wasn't intended to go, creating an air short and keeping cool air away from components that survive on that cool air. This would be especially true for low speed, high load applications (what jeeps are made for) where the only high pressure air inside the engine bay is created by the fan. Poking holes in the hood just lets the pressure escape, making everything aft of those holes hotter as a result.

OP
OP
Whiteknight

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales CDJR
Often more holes makes cooling worse, as it directs the path of cooling air out a channel it wasn't intended to go, creating an air short and keeping cool air away from components that survive on that cool air. This would be especially true for low speed, high load applications (what jeeps are made for) where the only high pressure air inside the engine bay is created by the fan. Poking holes in the hood just lets the pressure escape, making everything aft of those holes hotter as a result.
Thank should have kept my trust in the engineers.

OP
OP
Whiteknight

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales CDJR
Do not remove heat shield from under engine compartment hood. It is there, as someone on this forum has stated, to protect paint from pealing bubbling or melting (du yeah, as I will be crawling in Moab, maybe hot huh), and the metal of the hood would also get very hot, AND the plastic vents may melt as well on the Rubicon and Mojave, airflow and waterflow was designed with the shield in place too, so it would again make it hotter under the hood and water sitting on certain parts may cause damage. The plastic push retainers are over $4 each so that would also divert funds for other alterations. There are more reasons which help keep the air moving around the engine, so I hope these reasons are enough to stop anyone from doing this. Hope this will save someone from possible troubles on the trails. Wave Wave.

Sponsored

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Do not remove heat shield from under engine compartment hood. It is there, as someone on this forum has stated, to protect paint from pealing bubbling or melting (du yeah, as I will be crawling in Moab, maybe hot huh), and the metal of the hood would also get very hot, AND the plastic vents may melt as well on the Rubicon and Mojave, airflow and waterflow was designed with the shield in place too, so it would again make it hotter under the hood and water sitting on certain parts may cause damage. The plastic push retainers are over $4 each so that would also divert funds for other alterations. There are more reasons which help keep the air moving around the engine, so I hope these reasons are enough to stop anyone from doing this. Hope this will save someone from possible troubles on the trails. Wave Wave.
I'm no engineer but, if the purpose of the hood heat shield is to keep engine heat from the aluminum hood and it's paint and plastic elements, why is the reflective side of it on the top (hood side) instead of the bottom (engine side)? BTW, Dorman 963-086D Panel Push Retainers work to reattach the shield (77¢ each at O'Reilly Auto Parts.)

OP
OP
Whiteknight

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales CDJR
I thought the same thing. When using aluminum foil shinny side reflects heat, why reflect to side you want o protect. This comes from MOPAR so that's the reasoning I quoted. Aluminum great way to distribute heat. Melt plastic? Why use it. Nice banter and what I think is sense. Keep conversing the conversation. Love my Gladiator and my JK, till death till we part.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I opened the hood vents on my JK Recon. I noticed no temperature difference at all, but dirt, etc. did get in.

P2VNeptune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 67 M715
i did this last week, it was super easy and yes the plastic body clips break easy but napa has clips and they are like 5 bucks for a pack of 10. easy and quick project. i just trimmed the hood liner to the shape of the vents. im in Montana and its been snowing and raining on and off. i have not had any standing water in the engine bay. all you need is a dremmel and a razor blade. maybe a total of 35 mins start to finish.

OP
OP
Whiteknight

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales CDJR
i did this last week, it was super easy and yes the plastic body clips break easy but napa has clips and they are like 5 bucks for a pack of 10. easy and quick project. i just trimmed the hood liner to the shape of the vents. im in Montana and its been snowing and raining on and off. i have not had any standing water in the engine bay. all you need is a dremmel and a razor blade. maybe a total of 35 mins start to finish.
Thanks for the update and the price quote; both are helpful. I put my shield back on without making openings for the vents. I may reevaluate that later. I was told the air that is in the engine compartment needs to swirl around to keep things cool under the hood and the heat shield protects the plastic vents from possible warping or melting. I am going to Moab and don't want a melt down personally or physically on my Gladiator. I hope you have Happy travels and clear sky. Cheers.
Sponsored