James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My Gladiator didn't come with bed power. After some internet searching, I couldn't find any aftermarket plug and play products, at all. And, hell no I'm not going to pay the Jeep price for an outlet. There's a big opportunity here for one of the forum's sponsors to deliver a solution - it will sell like mad. Contact me, I'll test it out for you. lol. So, I decided what the hell, I'll just make my own! The most difficult decision was deciding between a standard 120V outlet or cigarette lighter outlet. I have an Overland, so I could go either setup - tap into the on-board inverter or connect to the Aux Switch Bank. For me the cigarette outlet connected to the Aux Switch was the best choice. Best of all it only cost me $9.99 for a marine grade outlet on Amazon. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVQ51CX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a two pack, so you have a spare.

Ok... so it's not quite $9.99. You are going have to buy some wire, but you can find that on Amazon for under $8. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D74RGVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Choose the right gauge of wire for your application - amps and distance need to be considered. There are lots of online resources for 'choosing the correct wire size for a DC circuit'... that's a hint on what to google.

For this do it yourself, I used the bed plug as the base for mounting:

Step 1 - remove bed plug - if you have bed liner, trace the edge of the plug with a razor to break free - squeeze tabs and push out from behind
Step 2 - plug meet hole saw - 1 1/4 saw should be used - and how nice of Jeep to put a dimple smack in the middle of the plug to start the hole.
Step 3 - secure cigarette lighter outlet to the plug with nut and screws
Step 4 - run the wiring - how you do this and where you draw power is going to be up to you, but I'll be using the Aux Switch Bank so I can turn power on and off to the bed as needed. Consider an inline fuse - use what's appropriate for your application. Be sure to use the correct gauge of wire - consider draw, wire length, etc. - I won't list the possibilities here, because, well, opinions vary. Shrink boot and seal connections and secure wiring as needed. Consider using flexible auto conduit like this to protect your wiring:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-86663...+flexible&qid=1585791181&s=automotive&sr=1-10

Here's some pics - you can do this!

Jeep Gladiator No bed power? No problem! $9.99 do it yourself. Power 1
Jeep Gladiator No bed power? No problem! $9.99 do it yourself. Power 2
Jeep Gladiator No bed power? No problem! $9.99 do it yourself. Power 4
Jeep Gladiator No bed power? No problem! $9.99 do it yourself. Power 5
Jeep Gladiator No bed power? No problem! $9.99 do it yourself. Power6
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Katch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green olive Rubicon, Walker Bay RIB and a couple Aprilias
Is the bed pre-wired by any chance? If not, how hard was it to route the wires into the cab? I'd like to use an auxiliary switch for mine.

Steve

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Is the bed pre-wired by any chance? If not, how hard was it to route the wires into the cab? I'd like to use an auxiliary switch for mine.

Steve
Unfortunately, Jeep did not pre-wire the bed - that would have been nice. I used the Aux Switch (# 3) wiring myself - wire found under the hood next to the battery. I used a shrink boot over the back of the cigarette lighter plug and electric tape to seal everything and ran the wires inside of a conduit (see description above). I was able to follow existing wiring and the frame (top of frame) all the way down the passenger side of the vehicle to the Aux Switch wiring under the hood. I used zip ties to secure the conduit. If I get a chance in the next day or two I'll snap some pics and post for you.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
For me the cigarette outlet connected to the Aux Switch was the best choice. Best of all it only cost me $9.99 for a marine grade outlet on Amazon. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVQ51CX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a two pack, so you have a spare.

Ok... so it's not quite $9.99. You are going have to buy some wire, but you can find that on Amazon for under $8. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D74RGVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Choose the right gauge of wire for your application - amps and distance need to be considered. There are lots of online resources for 'choosing the correct wire size for a DC circuit'... that's a hint on what to google.

Be sure to use the correct gauge of wire - consider draw, wire length, etc. - I won't list the possibilities here, because, well, opinions vary.
I plan on powering an air compressor that draws up to 40 amps from a dc outlet. I ran 6AWG wire from the engine compartment to the bed outlet hole. I soldered my positive 6AWG wire to the aux 1 (40amp) wire under the hood ... and connected the negative 6AWG wire to the negative battery terminal.

I bought THIS to install which came with very small wires which I connected to my 6AWG at the bed outlet. I tested it with the wires laying in the bed (not concealed by the finished install), and they started on fire :facepalm: after running the compressor for about 30 seconds. I turned off aux 1 and blew out the fire.

I'm rewiring between the 6AWG to the outlet panel using 10AWG which should work based on this table. But, what about the 12v outlet itself? Do you think that will handle up to 40 amps via the air compressor?

Amps
@ 13.8 Volts
LENGTH OF WIRE
American Wire Gauge (AWG)
0-4 ft.
4-7 ft.
7-10 ft.
10-13 ft.
13-16 ft.
16-19 ft.
19-22 ft.
0-10
16-ga.​
16-ga.​
14-ga.​
14-ga.​
12-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
10–15
14-ga.​
14-ga.​
14-ga.​
12-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
15-20
12-ga.​
12-ga.​
12-ga.​
12-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
20-35
12-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
35-50
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
50-65
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
4-ga.​
65-85
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
4-ga.​
4-ga.​
85-105
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
4-ga.​
4-ga.​
4-ga.​
4-ga.​

Sponsored

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I plan on powering an air compressor that draws up to 40 amps from a dc outlet. I ran 6AWG wire from the engine compartment to the bed outlet hole. I soldered my positive 6AWG wire to the aux 1 (40amp) wire under the hood ... and connected the negative 6AWG wire to the negative battery terminal.

I bought THIS to install which came with very small wires which I connected to my 6AWG at the bed outlet. I tested it with the wires laying in the bed (not concealed by the finished install), and they started on fire :facepalm: after running the compressor for about 30 seconds. I turned off aux 1 and blew out the fire.

I'm rewiring between the 6AWG to the outlet panel using 10AWG which should work based on this table. But, what about the 12v outlet itself? Do you think that will handle up to 40 amps via the air compressor?

Amps
@ 13.8 Volts
LENGTH OF WIRE
American Wire Gauge (AWG)
0-4 ft.
4-7 ft.
7-10 ft.
10-13 ft.
13-16 ft.
16-19 ft.
19-22 ft.
0-10
16-ga.​
16-ga.​
14-ga.​
14-ga.​
12-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
10–15
14-ga.​
14-ga.​
14-ga.​
12-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
15-20
12-ga.​
12-ga.​
12-ga.​
12-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
20-35
12-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
35-50
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
50-65
10-ga.​
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
4-ga.​
65-85
10-ga.​
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
4-ga.​
4-ga.​
85-105
8-ga.​
8-ga.​
6 or 4-ga.​
4-ga.​
4-ga.​
4-ga.​
4-ga.​
I think for such a high amp draw for that compressor, I would have made the connection point near the front of the vehicle with Anderson plugs direct to the battery by-passing the Aux switch which has a max of 40 amps. Even most onboard air systems are wired straight off the battery. My Viar Compressor recommends running the engine while using the compressor. Having the connection at the front will save you wire costs as well. If your using a small compressor that takes forever to fill your tires, I suppose you can use that cig lighter socket and run it off the aux switch.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think for such a high amp draw for that compressor, I would have made the connection point near the front of the vehicle with Anderson plugs direct to the battery by-passing the Aux switch which has a max of 40 amps. Even most onboard air systems are wired straight off the battery. My Viar Compressor recommends running the engine while using the compressor. Having the connection at the front will save you wire costs as well. If your using a small compressor that takes forever to fill your tires, I suppose you can use that cig lighter socket and run it off the aux switch.
That's the most conventional plan for sure. The main point of this project was to power my compressor at the rear of the vehicle. This allows me to store & use my compressor and hose octopus right from the bed. I did run the engine during my test ... as that's how I will do it at trail heads as well. I also already found the wire at a reasonable cost, ran it, and connected it.

I connected to Aux 1 (40amp) so that I could control when the bed was receiving power. I'm pushing the limit of that 40amp fuse, but I'd be annoyed having to wire my own switch when I already paid for the aux switches. The compressor seemed to draw between 30-40amps. I blew an in-line 30amp fuse on my first trial before replacing it with a 40amp fuse. It was on the 2nd trial that the fuses held up ... but the 4inches of thin 18AWG wire between my 6AWG wire and the cig outlet decided to become kindling.

I could re-think the whole set-up, but I'm not yet willing to accept that. I'm hoping that the cig outlets can handle up to 40amps. (All of the conductive connections in the component seem to have cross-sections greater than or equal to a 10AWG wire.)

SKETCHY JEEP

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Did you run the wire inside the cab or external to the battery?

Last edited by a moderator:

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
20 bucks or so gets you a panel like this on Amazon. That little plastic cap pops right out. I did have to use a dremel to cut the hole in the bed a little larger, but the aluminum base of this panel covers everything nicely.

Jeep Gladiator No bed power? No problem! $9.99 do it yourself. jeep light 1
Do the screws just anchor to the bed wall, or do you have something else behind the bed wall as well?
Sponsored