Sponsored

RSI Smartcap

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
EDIT: It's actually listed on their website. I see a 770lb limit, but that is surely static. What is dynamic?
SmartCap is forged from strong automotive-grade stainless steel. The EVO holds up to 330 lbs when moving and a whopping 770 lbs when parked. That’s heavy duty.
Personally, I'm glad I got in on Rhino's RLD order. The RSI looks better in the render but a dynamic rating that matches RSI's static rating and one-piece construction on the RLD are winners for me. Plus RLD has the mounting system down with no clamps and I'm not digging the gaps and tolerances built in to the RSI from the post above.
Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ooo I like it!

In the original post, it says that the "commercial" version is less than half the price of the one with windows. Does that just mean a totally solid side with no access? Meaning something without a hinge or anything. Or just a metal panel in place of a window but still hinged?

And It may have gotten buried in some of the responses that are a mile long, but what are the static and dynamic load capacities? I must be dreaming if I think I can get one of those for $1600...

EDIT: It's actually listed on their website. I see a 770lb limit, but that is surely static. What is dynamic?

SmartCap EVO (which appears to be what is in the pictures above): $3695 for 09/2020 release
SmartCap EVOc (commercial): $3195 for 10/2020 release
I can't recall if I read it on their site or elsewhere, but I want to say the dynamic load was 330lb. Don't quote me on that though.

Edit: The above response didn't populate for me until I posted. 330lb it is.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I figured I'd add new pictures to this one instead of making a new thread.

New RSI SmartCap EVO information landed in my inbox this morning. It's by far my favorite looking of the metal caps. The lines actually appear to compliment the vehicle, which can't be said of alucab or RLD.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg
Screenshot_20200410-113025_Gmail_1.jpg
Screenshot_20200410-113031_Gmail_1.jpg

The email claims it will be available in September. I may need to start setting aside some funds for this...
Yea I was wondering when they were gonna show this . . . Noticed it on Instagram too as well as in an email from CEO. It's why I came to the Forum today - to post the photos and say, "SEE, I told you so . . . :like: ". Kidding.
SO, now the WONDERING as to the Shape is over despite my hinting of it months ago . . . I gotta admit, as a NON-Emplyee, STILL, :LOL:, that it DOES have a Very Cool Look Factor going on, on the Gladiator. Not sure how it's gonna look on my future RAM 1500 Quad, but I'm more inspired to go the REBEL Route - "screw" the $$$ difference of ~ $5K vs what I was wanting earlier in a RAM. I've always loved the "Mustache Look" (Mine is old & gray but so what). I might change out the 3.92 gearing for the 3.55 with the Pentastar V6 w/eTorque . . . just to (Hopefully) improve on the MPG's a bit while still maintaining a decent "aggressiveness" (for a V6). Hope they make the EVOc for the Gladiator . . . for you guys that don't want all that "glass" !?. Ok that's it for me - going back into Hibernation/Quarantine so I can hopefully make to my 70th - just had my 69th (March). Oh, and the Pricing IS where I said it would be - inline with the higher-end USA made Fiberglass throwbacks, like ARE & LEER . . . ! ;)
ps; noticed I had some "incoming" from back in March - checked and low & behold a MODERATOR returned all those posts of "Hate & Contempt" . . . so that was "uplifting" and welcome . . . nice to see SOMEONE came to their senses and decided indeed this IS America, and we CAN S**T ON EACH OTHER much as we like, well to a point, ha ! Personally I don't & I don't like seeing how UGLY we can get toward each other . . . ESPECIALLY HERE . . . but it is what it is !?.

Looks like my timeframe for my new rig will be pushed back - Covid Dependant - but unless IT kills me, I do plan on going forward with those RAM-plans . . . UNLESS, JEEP has an epiphany (of the non religious kind), and goes forward with a "quad cab" version with 6ft bed Gladiator . . . THEN RSI would have to come up with THAT Version Cap . . . UGH ! ! ! RAM it is.

YOU ALL TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER BEST YOU CAN . . . YES YOU "HATERS" TOO . . . WITHOUT YOU WHO WOULD WE HAVE TO FIGHT ALL THE WARS WE GET INTO . . . . . . . NOW THERE'S A CAN OF WORMS FOR YA TO DIGEST ! ! ! :LOL: .
For the record, I am a 20 yr. Navy Vet. - PROUDLY I wear my badge of honor and support the troops & sailors .

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
This is by far the best looking topper for the Gladiator so far. Love the look, price, and all the included features...they don't nickle and dime for every feature, they just include it. And FREE SHIPPING if you have it sent to a distributor...so far there are 5 within 45 min of me, so thats yet another advantage.

Dynamic rating of 330 lbs. and static rating of 770 lbs. is WAY more than I would ever need for my rooftop tent purposes.

@Lou3.6 was right all along! :LOL:

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
This is by far the best looking topper for the Gladiator so far. Love the look, price, and all the included features...they don't nickle and dime for every feature, they just include it. And FREE SHIPPING if you have it sent to a distributor...so far there are 5 within 45 min of me, so thats yet another advantage.

Dynamic rating of 330 lbs. and static rating of 770 lbs. is WAY more than I would ever need for my rooftop tent purposes.

You would think, but a Rhino Rack (65lbs), aluminum RTT (175lbs), and an ARB awning (40lbs) and whatever else you stick up there (lights, shovel, Maxtrax...) you're suddenly looking pretty close to that number. I realize it's probably fairly conservative but I'd rather be at half capacity than assume.

Damn good looking though, not going to lie.

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
You would think, but a Rhino Rack (65lbs), aluminum RTT (175lbs), and an ARB awning (40lbs) and whatever else you stick up there (lights, shovel, Maxtrax...) you're suddenly looking pretty close to that number. I realize it's probably fairly conservative but I'd rather be at half capacity than assume.
IMO, zero reason to use a Rhino Rack for a RTT. Extra dead weight.

My Roofnest Eagle is the size of a queen mattress and weights 140lbs. with bedding.

I have no other equipment to keep up there...thats why I have the truck bed and the topper, haha.

I can see the appeal of an awning, but adding that still allows for PLENTY of cushion. You also have to figure that these weight limits are extremely conservative, I would be 100% comfortable at the 330lbs. dynamic limit if I somehow ever got close to it. The dynamic limit has more to do with being top heavy than anything else.

If i were doing extreme offroading I would watch the weight I had up there much more closely, but that would be the case no matter what topper or rack I had.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

My Roofnest Eagle is the size of a queen mattress and weights 140lbs. with bedding.

I have no other equipment to keep up there...thats why I have the truck bed and the topper, haha.

I can see the appeal of an awning, but adding that still allows for PLENTY of cushion. You also have to figure that these weight limits are extremely conservative, I would be 100% comfortable at the 330lbs. dynamic limit if I somehow ever got close to it. The dynamic limit has more to do with being top heavy than anything else.

If i were doing extreme offroading I would watch the weight I had up there much more closely, but that would be the case no matter what topper or rack I had.
Can you bolt the RTT directly to the cap? I've never seen a setup like that before. Typically, there needs to be some type of rack in between to provide the mounting points on the rack slats for the tent. Unless the width of the tracks on your tent happen to match the width of the tracks on the cap exactly, somehow.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if you could, but honestly I'd personally still mount a rack, so that I have extra modular storage for the 98% of the time that my tent isn't up top. Also, to provide points to mount my satellite lighting for the sides and rear.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Can you bolt the RTT directly to the cap? I've never seen a setup like that before. Typically, there needs to be some type of rack in between to provide the mounting points on the rack slats for the tent.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if you could, but honestly I'd personally still mount a rack, so that I have extra modular storage for the 98% of the time that my tent isn't up top. Also, to provide points to mount my satellite lighting for the sides and rear.
Not sure on directly bolting it, but RSI does have nice crossbars with the same weight tolerances as the topper itself that connect right to the built in rails on the top of the canopy. That is what I plan on using.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure on directly bolting it, but RSI does have nice crossbars with the same weight tolerances as the topper itself that connect right to the built in rails on the top of the canopy. That is what I plan on using.
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. That's a pretty good solution too honestly.

My previous cap/rack build had a frontrunner rack on a reinforced Leer topper, and it was a great platform to mount my axe/shovel, tent, awning, lights, and provide plenty of ways to route my rooftop wiring, so if I go this route I'll probably stick with that idea. We'll see!

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

It all depends on how you intend to use it but either way, I'm not going to sit here and shit on someone else's preference and that's all this really comes down to. It looks good but it's not for me when better alternatives exist for my needs.

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
It all depends on how you intend to use it but either way, I'm not going to sit here and shit on someone else's preference and that's all this really comes down to. It looks good but it's not for me when better alternatives exist for my needs.
Its true! Many awesome options coming out...cool to see what the aftermarket is coming up with!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Well . . . looky-here, looky-here !
Thanks Phantom . . . perhaps it is finally time for YOU to go find my RSI Thread via the homepage threads . . . probably way down on the list (page 15+?).
Things are getting boring over at the RAM DT Forum so I thought I'd see how Steffen's Alu-cab Cap situation was coming along . . . ?

** DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE EVOc - the commercial version with NO side windows and it is $400 LESS . . . You or anyone else could "cut & paste" (ha) your own preferred size & type of window or keep as is (more secure & more security). Naturally there will be a longer Delay getting the EVOc at 1st _ RSI is "concentrating on the EVO (standard) early on. Plus IF you can wait and (preorder) either in a Color Match, that will add a few more weeks (?). Those not in a "hurry" (like me) can have "our cake AND eat it too," as Momma used to say !

With a Custom Factory (free) paint match, it's not too shabby a deal. Only wish they'd of listened to me about the FRONT Window slider . . . for the America's - driving on the "correct side" (ha) of the road, the current Front Window Slider OPENS on the WRONG side, thus making it more difficult to see out from the rear view mirror. That and NO hinges on top or bottom to open it COMPLETELY. THAT would of been a winner for those opting of the Soft Top. And a nice thing for cleaning any trucks rear window. Some Full Size trucks have rear windows that "Operate like regular door windows, up & down". I believe Nissan & toyota offers this option !?. Ah if only it were a Perfect World !?. Take Care ALL, be safe, and FORGET about that "Close Proximity Key (fob) thing-a-ma-bob for awhile . . . gonna be a LONG Summer ahead and if/when that 2nd wave begins . . . it will be because we all let our guard down and opened things up TOO SOON, TOO SLOPPY, & TOO BLINDLY. Momma also used to say, "Son, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of Cure!" Still holds true today. TA TA .

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Lying is bad for your health ! I have to agree with Phantoms response . . . think if you do a tiny bit of googling that you'll find MOST of the other offerings fall "in-line" with RSI's OR Less so !
As far as Phantoms reasoning . . . I believe what One restricting measure for ANY of these Toppers, as far as the Static & Motion "Limits," can be attributed to the Quality & the NUMBER of what is used to ATTACH to the truck bed rails ! The stresses imposed at these attachment points Under Load is important but is actually "Critical" when it comes to In-Motion -- the mere act of driving; twists & turns, breaking, sudden breaking or harsh acceleration . . . they all add STRESS . . . and stress adds to eventual deterioration known as "metal fatigue". Especially for THIS Off Roading Community ! NOT unique, but IS one potential Issue for ALL Toppers or Racks, for that matter. Now, I am (still) a "fan" of the RSI SmartCap's . . . but MAYBE they could of made them "Smarter" by NOT making them "Assemble at Home" Caps. Yea it was a "Business Decision" for sure -- Cost of doing business vs. Profit (motive) vs. Shipping Damage Potential (as a one piece). We've seen this 1st hand with the RLD's coming over damaged because THEY didn't want to pay the extra cost in "Properly" Packaging theirs -- Cardboard to (now) wood crating (ouch! - did they pass that on to the Customers?).
Time will tell IF these hold up HERE in the US of A ?!. I haven't done the research (yet!) on the previous generation of these "5-piece" Caps sold just about World-Wide for a few years ! I bet the Stats are out their . . . unless RSI would care to Voluntarily Provide them here to ALL . . . hint . . . IF they're as "good as advertised" then there should be "nothing to worry about" !?.
Make me "proud" to of been an RSI "Forum Whipping-Person" for so long . . . !
There ya go . . . another "Term Thesis Paper" ready for the "post reply" . . . You All be Good to each other and STAY Socially Distanced even if your Governor says it's OK to Open Up "For Business" -- NOT Business as Usual . . . Remember my Mom (ounce of prevention, pound of Cure!) ?. ;)