Sponsored

Anyone building (planning) to build a Jeep Wayout?

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I love our setup so far. We have the leitner rack and decked system. I wouldn't want a shorter rack because you'd have such little space to use in the bed.

We are planning to add the leitner long storage box eventually to hold more gear as well as installing a slide for an ARB Elements fridge to be permanently mounted. If I could change anything, I would have got the iKamper X-Cover tent because our cover gets destroyed in the AZ heat

jeep.JPG

View attachment 35885
Hey Rick, if you have pics can you post them of your bed and rack, etc. so we can see what you've got going on there?

Looks super interesting! Thanks
Sponsored

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew

giraffemode

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Telecom Program Mgr.
I just ordered a Gator Rubicon to build into an overland rig over the next ~1 yr or so. The Wayout is my main inspiration, but I'm trying to figure how to get the kind of RTT I want and also be capable to carry a kayak at the same time. Some of the hardshell pop-ups like Alucab you can mount rails to them but the bed inside is smaller than the fold-out tents. My partner & I are both dudes and I'm 6'5", and from experience with a Tepui RTT on our TigerMoth trailer we really need the larger bed space.

The best solution I can think of is a half-height bed deck with a iCamper Xcover so the rails end up flush ( or close enough) to the cab top and a 10' kayak can just hang over the cab. The downside is if I want to remove the RTT to save weight for daily driving, I couldn't mount the kayak on a level surface if I wanted to take it alone. I suppose I could have it hanging out of the back of the deck and strap it in. Think 10'-ish 2-man kayak.

With a full-height bed rack the RTT+kayak height plus a few inches lift and 37s, I'll end up pretty tall (clearance issues on trails in the woods or rock formations and high CG).

Any better ideas, or am I making the best compromise?

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered a Gator Rubicon to build into an overland rig over the next ~1 yr or so. The Wayout is my main inspiration, but I'm trying to figure how to get the kind of RTT I want and also be capable to carry a kayak at the same time. Some of the hardshell pop-ups like Alucab you can mount rails to them but the bed inside is smaller than the fold-out tents. My partner & I are both dudes and I'm 6'5", and from experience with a Tepui RTT on our TigerMoth trailer we really need the larger bed space.

The best solution I can think of is a half-height bed deck with a iCamper Xcover so the rails end up flush ( or close enough) to the cab top and a 10' kayak can just hang over the cab. The downside is if I want to remove the RTT to save weight for daily driving, I couldn't mount the kayak on a level surface if I wanted to take it alone. I suppose I could have it hanging out of the back of the deck and strap it in. Think 10'-ish 2-man kayak.

With a full-height bed rack the RTT+kayak height plus a few inches lift and 37s, I'll end up pretty tall (clearance issues on trails in the woods or rock formations and high CG).

I would go with the ACE Upper Decker and then have a mount made up that would attach your kayak to their RTT mount. That would be a clean, multipurpose setup that would not cost too much.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The downside is if I want to remove the RTT to save weight for daily driving, I couldn't mount the kayak on a level surface if I wanted to take it alone. I suppose I could have it hanging out of the back of the deck and strap it in. Think 10'-ish 2-man kayak.
I would think custom risers that replace the height of the RTT would be relatively inexpensive to have fabbed.
I would focus on the RTT that has rails on the top then work your way back to what rack+riser will accomplish your goal. Any fab shop can make a rack, you have to buy an already made RTT.

Anything can be accomplished 14' slide delivery vehicle.

20191011_133812.jpg

20191011_133745.jpg

Sponsored

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I'm also a taller guy (6'3") and am leaning towards the iKamper X-Factor because of the interior sleeping space. But, because of its size, I decided I needed a full-height rack so the RTT could clear the cab height - the X-factor is 72" long, but the Gladiator bed is only 60", and I don't want 12" of RTT hanging off the back...I can see all kinds of problems (not to mention the awkward look) with that setup...most importantly, eventually I'd like a rear bumper with spare wheel/tire carrier, and I think I'd run into issues with that setup if there was a RTT poking 12" out the back just above the tailgate.

Yes, it means my rig will be taller than I might ideally like, but the plusses are:
  • I can sleep comfortably in a large space
  • the RTT can accommodate other gear on its rack
  • I don't have 12" of RTT hanging off the back of the truck
In terms of CG, I don't think you'd have to worry too much about that. Moving your RTT and Kayak 12" higher shouldn't critically change your off-road performance that much...especially given the overall weight of the vehicle.

Clearance-wise, you have a good point. But I usually run around in the desert where I'd almost kill for trees to hide under when it gets hot!

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I'm also a taller guy (6'3") and am leaning towards the iKamper X-Factor because of the interior sleeping space. But, because of its size, I decided I needed a full-height rack so the RTT could clear the cab height - the X-factor is 72" long, but the Gladiator bed is only 60", and I don't want 12" of RTT hanging off the back...I can see all kinds of problems (not to mention the awkward look) with that setup...most importantly, eventually I'd like a rear bumper with spare wheel/tire carrier, and I think I'd run into issues with that setup if there was a RTT poking 12" out the back just above the tailgate.

Yes, it means my rig will be taller than I might ideally like, but the plusses are:
  • I can sleep comfortably in a large space
  • the RTT can accommodate other gear on its rack
  • I don't have 12" of RTT hanging off the back of the truck
In terms of CG, I don't think you'd have to worry too much about that. Moving your RTT and Kayak 12" higher shouldn't critically change your off-road performance that much...especially given the overall weight of the vehicle.

Clearance-wise, you have a good point. But I usually run around in the desert where I'd almost kill for trees to hide under when it gets hot!
The iKamper X-Cover Mini and Skycamper Minis should be out early next year; I'd go this route.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Why not mount the kayak to the side of the rack... think wider not taller.

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The iKamper X-Cover Mini and Skycamper Minis should be out early next year; I'd go this route.

Those look super cool - too small for my size, but nice to see there are a lot of options coming out.

giraffemode

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Telecom Program Mgr.
Good ideas guys. I think the Xcover mini is going to be too small. In my experience I need a 2-man tent to be comfortable alone and I need a 3-man tent to be comfortable with one other person.

The James Baroud XXL hard shell tents are look promising but nowhere on their website do I see any mention of having roof rails on top so I assume the structure probably isn't reinforced for that.

I was also thinking if I could have a kayak dangling off the back some amount, not how many feet of overhang is legal/reasonable. Say on top of a Deckd system and under a bed rack, lots of tie down straps. Or with a hitch mounted support like this.

True if you think about where you're wheeling you can probably anticipate whether you'll need a kayak (not in the desert) and if I'm base camping with my trailer I can leave a kayak behind for trail runs. This might be a mostly imaginary problem.

Sponsored

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True if you think about where you're wheeling you can probably anticipate whether you'll need a kayak (not in the desert) and if I'm base camping with my trailer I can leave a kayak behind for trail runs. This might be a mostly imaginary problem.
Ha- good point, but given your location you might wind up exploring the southern Utah area, and there are a number of places that you could be desert-running with a Kayak. Just west of Page, AZ, is a great put-in for Lake Powell, and within a few miles of that spot are some incredible places for wheeling...such as Wahweap Wash and The Wave.

Here's my FJ a few years ago hauling a canoe across the desert in Texas, headed to the Rio for a few days of paddling.

IMG_0942.JPG

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Good ideas guys. I think the Xcover mini is going to be too small. In my experience I need a 2-man tent to be comfortable alone and I need a 3-man tent to be comfortable with one other person.
LOL...agreed; I'm 6'-6", but for me I'll be solo. I don't know if I'll ever convince my wife to sleep in a tent again; last time was over 20 years ago. She's more exclusively a King-Sized-Bed-Fairmont-Gal now. :crying:

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
They’re pretty spendy, but probably cheaper than going custom with fiberglass.

There’s also Ursa Minor for the wrangler - maybe they’ll do something for the Gladiator eventually. There’s also a company in TX or OK that makes an extended JK with a big pop up tent. I can’t remember their name though. They’re sort of custom, so maybe they’d do something one-off. Or if you did a Fab Fours style rack, with their over the cab piece whenever that gets made, and a standard hard shell tent.

I’d need two RTT’s for my family, or an annex, so we’re sticking with our Gazelle T4 plus until the kids are too cool to camp in the same tent as us. Then the wife and I will go on the roof and the kids can do solo tents, hammocks, whatever.

LLOD on YouTube is testing a new iKamper made for 5’ beds. It’s a hardshell but flips out like a soft shell once you pop the top. Looks pretty slick and would be my preference I think. I think he said it’d be out next year maybe?
Ursa Minor mentioned they are in the process of concept production.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Becoming a solid option with my Gobi. I got four kids, we like to camp and explore. Nothing better than wheeling with your kids. Having my 7 year old twins howl like they are on a roller coaster as we wheel and teaching my 14 year old to spot tires. Proud dad.

giraffemode

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Telecom Program Mgr.
Sorry I've been away from the forum, but I need to get back. I've done a lot of work on my JT since the quarantine, and I guess I'm ready to unveil my take on the Wayout.

Suspension:
  • Rock Krawler: 3" springs, rear X-Pro quad 4-link
  • Core 4x4: front upper and lower control arms, and rear lowers
  • King: 2.5" reservoir shocks
  • TeraFlex: front control arm drop brackets with HD reinforcement
  • SteerSmarts: front track bar
Wheels/tires:
  • 17" Procomp 69 series wheels
  • 37" Yokohama Geolandar M/Ts
  • Evo braided steel brake lines
Armor/recovdery:
  • RockHard 4x4: aluminum mid-width front bumper, tube sliders/rock rails angle-up, front and rear LCA skid plates
  • Rancho: front diff skid
  • Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum winch
  • Factor55 1.5" fairlead and Flatlink E
Steering:
  • SteerSmarts: HD tie rod and draglink with damper
  • TeraFlex Falcon EF 2.2 adjustable steering stabilizer
  • Synergy Trackbar bracket and sector shaft brace
Electrical:
  • Genesis dual battery kit with Odyssey batteries
  • VIAIR 425c onboard air kit with Maximus 3 underbody mounting plate
  • Baja Designs: S8 10" light bar, S8 40" light bar, Squadron Sport fog light kit
  • Rigid D-SS Pro side shooter spot lights on A-pillar
Cargo/Camping:
  • Diamondback SE tonneau cover
  • KB Voodoo MaxModular 10" high aluminum bed rack with tonneau brackets
  • JCR Offroad: JTR roof rack, front and side molle panels in bed
  • CVT: Mt. Shasta rooftop tent and 55" awning
Comms:
  • Yaesu FTM-400XDR UHF/VHF radio w/Diamond hood mount antenna
  • Baofeng handheld UHF/VHF radio for spotter/auxiliary use
  • Garmin InReach Explorer+ with powered docking station
Cosmetic:
  • Custom matte black vinyl hood anti-glare hood patch and front fender patches
  • Custom tailgate vinyl with retro J10 Jeep logo
  • O.G. Gladiator decal from Ebay
It's never done of course, but it's pretty darn close. If/when AEV ever starts selling their JL/JT snorkel I'll probably pick one up. Potentially extend the axle breathers to the air box.

Been on two camping trips so far and I'm loving all the cargo I can store in the bed, cook on the tailgate. We've been bringing our JL along too so that carries the Dometic fridge but I could put it in the back seat of the JT.

IMG_20200711_112922.jpg

IMG_20200629_111526.jpg

IMG_20200702_154235.jpg

IMG_20200702_154147.jpg

2020_0223_19260800.jpg

IMG_20200702_213254.jpg

IMG_20200622_220048.jpg

IMG_20200629_155936_1 (1).jpg
Sponsored