Sponsored

Anyone building (planning) to build a Jeep Wayout?

bartle_man

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I love our setup so far. We have the leitner rack and decked system. I wouldn't want a shorter rack because you'd have such little space to use in the bed.

We are planning to add the leitner long storage box eventually to hold more gear as well as installing a slide for an ARB Elements fridge to be permanently mounted. If I could change anything, I would have got the iKamper X-Cover tent because our cover gets destroyed in the AZ heat

jeep.JPG

View attachment 35885
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone seen bed racks as tall as the top of the cab for the Gladiator?
100 times this. I would love that rack (or any roof cab height rack) in the sub 1000 would be nice
JCR Offroad makes a cab height bed rack for less than $800. I've been running their bumpers on my JKUR for about 6 years now. They make great stuff.

On the soft vs hard RTT topic, I've had a soft RTT for about 5 years now and I'm looking at upgrading it to a hard clamshell RTT when I build out the JT. The soft RTT is 100x better than a ground tent, but it still takes too long to setup and tear down. Once you start leaving your bedding inside it, it takes some effort to get it closed down. You always have to readjust your bedding after opening it as well since it gets folding in half and slides around when opening and closing it. Almost all of my trips are in the southwest, so I get way too dirty messing with the cover and straps.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
JCR Offroad makes a cab height bed rack for less than $800. I've been running their bumpers on my JKUR for about 6 years now. They make great stuff.

On the soft vs hard RTT topic, I've had a soft RTT for about 5 years now and I'm looking at upgrading it to a hard clamshell RTT when I build out the JT. The soft RTT is 100x better than a ground tent, but it still takes too long to setup and tear down. Once you start leaving your bedding inside it, it takes some effort to get it closed down. You always have to readjust your bedding after opening it as well since it gets folding in half and slides around when opening and closing it. Almost all of my trips are in the southwest, so I get way too dirty messing with the cover and straps.

Etoimos, good info on soft RTTs - thanks for sharing your experiences.

I like JCR's stuff but so far, I'm not a fan of their full height rack design. I'm looking for something cleaner more like the JEEP rack on the Wayout Concept. I'm optimistic there'll be more choices following SEMA and in the weeks and months to come.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Etoimos, good info on soft RTTs - thanks for sharing your experiences.

I like JCR's stuff but so far, I'm not a fan of their full height rack design. I'm looking for something cleaner more like the JEEP rack on the Wayout Concept. I'm optimistic there'll be more choices following SEMA and in the weeks and months to come.
I'm not overly crazy about it either, but it is a full height option for less than a grand.

After this weekends photography outing down in New Mexico, I'm looking at off road trailers again. Life would have been so much easier if I could have dropped the trailer, setup camp and then sped off into the night to take my photos. Climbing up on the Jeep to setup my soft RTT at midnight kind of sucked. lol

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
I’m aware of them, but i thought they were just shy of actual cab height...and that was (I thought) confirmed in an email with JCR...however re-reading their response perhaps we had a miscommunication. I’ll have to follow up with them again...

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not overly crazy about it either, but it is a full height option for less than a grand.

After this weekends photography outing down in New Mexico, I'm looking at off road trailers again. Life would have been so much easier if I could have dropped the trailer, setup camp and then sped off into the night to take my photos. Climbing up on the Jeep to setup my soft RTT at midnight kind of sucked. lol

Trailers are, for me always intriguing and I'm fascinated by all the different designs (and costs). I especially like the teardrop trailers because, for me, one thing I always say about trailers is: If you can't sleep in it why are you towing it?! (I'm not a fan of towing a trailer and sleeping in a RTT that's on top of it.

The concerns I always have about trailers are these: (1) Towing speeds especially in California are a penalty I never wanted to put p with and, (2) I can't always base camp (drop the trailer and return to it). The overlanding/exploring/trips we take typically go from point A to B to C to D to home, etc. Rarely do we base camp and dragging a trailer up and down rocks and trails just isn't my idea of "wheeling."

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Trailers are, for me always intriguing and I'm fascinated by all the different designs (and costs). I especially like the teardrop trailers because, for me, one thing I always say about trailers is: If you can't sleep in it why are you towing it?! (I'm not a fan of towing a trailer and sleeping in a RTT that's on top of it.

The concerns I always have about trailers are these: (1) Towing speeds especially in California are a penalty I never wanted to put p with and, (2) I can't always base camp (drop the trailer and return to it). The overlanding/exploring/trips we take typically go from point A to B to C to D to home, etc. Rarely do we base camp and dragging a trailer up and down rocks and trails just isn't my idea of "wheeling."
I initially was looking at RTT trailers, but I'm since changed my mind and agree with you. I don't need to drag around a cargo trailer that I put my tent on. Right now I'm really liking the Offgrid Expedition 2.0 and the Hiker Off Road models.

There are lots of things in CA that I would not want to put up with. lol Since I don't live there and there are so many other places to visit in the US, that issue would not be a problem for me. Your second point hits closer to home as almost all of my trips have been the A to B to C to D style of trip. Even so, the teardrop trailer would be easy to operate out of. I do plenty of hard core rock crawling in my JKUR, but I've yet to do an overland style trip that had those same kind of trails in it. These two types of off road activities just don't seem to coexist during the planning process for me.

Otter155

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT, 2007 JKU, 2001 TJ
Build Thread
Link
I initially was looking at RTT trailers, but I'm since changed my mind and agree with you. I don't need to drag around a cargo trailer that I put my tent on. Right now I'm really liking the Offgrid Expedition 2.0 and the Hiker Off Road models.

There are lots of things in CA that I would not want to put up with. lol Since I don't live there and there are so many other places to visit in the US, that issue would not be a problem for me. Your second point hits closer to home as almost all of my trips have been the A to B to C to D style of trip. Even so, the teardrop trailer would be easy to operate out of. I do plenty of hard core rock crawling in my JKUR, but I've yet to do an overland style trip that had those same kind of trails in it. These two types of off road activities just don't seem to coexist during the planning process for me.
My family and I love our Hiker ORE (5x8), and it has towed great with my JKU. I'm upgrading to the Gladiator for a bit more storage and better engine/tranny combo. I couldn't imagine driving faster than 55 with a trailer anyways; MPG on my JKU sinks fast whenever I'm over 60.

If you have any questions on the Hiker, let me know it has been great in Mojave, Death Valley and a few other local runs. I once asked if it could be taken on the Rubicon trail, seller said, sure, but why take a 2k lb anchor with you. The trailer is built well and handles rock crawling just fine.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Offgrid Expedition 2.0
do you sleep inside this trailer or on top of? some of the photos on their site show one with an RTT on top of it. "for the kids" maybe?

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My family and I love our Hiker ORE (5x8), and it has towed great with my JKU. I'm upgrading to the Gladiator for a bit more storage and better engine/tranny combo. I couldn't imagine driving faster than 55 with a trailer anyways; MPG on my JKU sinks fast whenever I'm over 60.

If you have any questions on the Hiker, let me know it has been great in Mojave, Death Valley and a few other local runs. I once asked if it could be taken on the Rubicon trail, seller said, sure, but why take a 2k lb anchor with you. The trailer is built well and handles rock crawling just fine.
I wasn't familiar with the Hiker trailers - interesting approach to sleep-in trailers (the ONLY trailer worth considering IMO)
https://www.hikertrailers.com/hikers

Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
GFC is making a camper/roof top tent for the Gladiator, i saw it this last weekend. Cost 5k and there is a 2 year waiting list.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase

The Hiker is still on my short list and I like it best for a semi DIY platform.

do you sleep inside this trailer or on top of? some of the photos on their site show one with an RTT on top of it. "for the kids" maybe?

The Offgrid trailers are sleep inside designs that come with a standard roof rack that you can put a RTT on (or anything else). That option is appealing for me as the little guy can go up top with any friend he might invite along.

I show my wife some videos of the Offgrid trailers and she liked them. She then asked how much they were and I told her $25k-$28k. She did not baulk, but I also sent her a link the Bruder EXP-4 as a joke. She watched their video and asked me how much that one is and I told her ~$40k. The next thing out of her mouth was "is there some place we can go and see on in person?" WTF??? I think my wife has been abducted by aliens and replaced with an imposter! lol

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Is anyone planning to paint their hardtop the tan color like the wayout? I want to but not sure about 1) gator color in person, 2) specific paint color for hard top or 3) maybe should just line-x it with tan or something?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Is anyone planning to paint their hardtop the tan color like the wayout? I want to but not sure about 1) gator color in person, 2) specific paint color for hard top or 3) maybe should just line-x it with tan or something?
i bet this is in the line-x thread some where, but they're neat videos. Doesn't specifically show doing line-x on the roof, but gives you some ideas. If I were to ever paint the outside of my JT, that's the route i'd go. As for the inside of the freedom panels, use krylon fusion. Amazing stick, no prep, great results. Checkout my glady's build for photos of that.

I especially like the 3rd video with shopping cart and anti-key technology. Damn it would be awesome to not give 2 shits where I park.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
If you take a side profile view from the Gladiator build for the gator and gobi then photoshop the gobi hardtop onto the gator -- I did it in MS Powerpoint and just cropped the top off the Gator and then overlayed it on top of the Gobi -- it looks pretty slick!
Sponsored