Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Reposted from JL Wrangler Forums. This bodes well for a V8 Gladiator! :rock:

We just spied the production version of the V8 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Hemi out conducting its first public testing!

It was spotted near the R&D testing facilities in Auburn Hills, MI and bears stickers that try to make it seem like a regular owner's vehicle and regular Rubicon model. But, it has several features which give it away. First, it sports a similar ram-air scoop as that shown in the 392 Concept shown only a few days ago. Around back, the quad exhaust can't be missed! And a pair of Beadlock wheels also show that this prototype stays true to the concept. As for its Florida license plates, those are also often seen on the SRT and Hellcat test prototypes.

As announced days ago, the Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept is a four-door model powered by the 6.4-liter HEMI V8 making a whopping 450 horsepower and 450 lb.-ft of torque and capable of a 0-60 mph in less than 5-seconds.

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-jpg.jpg

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-10-jpg.jpg

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-9-jpg.jpg

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-8-jpg.jpg

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-7-jpg.jpg

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-6-jpg.jpg

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-5-jpg.jpg

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-4-jpg.jpg

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-3-jpg.jpg

392-v8-hemi-wrangler-jl-jeep-1-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Why is it assumed that this is a Hemi Wrangler test mule rather than a Mojave Wrangler mule with a Mopar exhaust? What is the date of the photos?

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Why is it assumed that this is a Hemi Wrangler test mule rather than a Mojave Wrangler mule with a Mopar exhaust? What is the date of the photos?
Our photographer took these a few hours ago. The V8 Hemi engine and exhaust sound was confirmed and is pretty unmistakable.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
C’mon FCA, give us a Hemi for our JTs, you cowards.
More like...

Come on FCA, give us a discounted Mopar engine swap at the dealerships covered under our warranty since we were forced with only 1 shitty engine option at purchase!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep has reportedly said that the Hemi has not been available because it wouldn't pass the crash testing. Any information on how that has been resolved?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep has reportedly said that the Hemi has not been available because it wouldn't pass the crash testing. Any information on how that has been resolved?
Yeah, they stopped lying and got off their asses, and got back to the drawing board... Because if aftermarket swaps pass inspections, there's definitely no reason that factory offerings shouldn't be able to pass with flying colors.

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
I'm still hoping that there's a possibility of both the 6.4 and the 5.7 being made available for the Gladiator. I want the 5.7 as the 6.4 would be overkill for me.

Really hit me when yesterday I left the hardware store following a Dakota with a V8. All I was thinking was "Damn - I want a V8 Gladiator. Been too long since we've had a V8 mid-size truck."

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they stopped lying and got off their asses, and got back to the drawing board... Because if aftermarket swaps pass inspections, there's definitely no reason that factory offerings shouldn't be able to pass with flying colors.
There's a big difference between crash testing at the federal level, and state required inspections for emissions and safety.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's a big difference between crash testing at the federal level, and state required inspections for emissions and safety.
Emissions are bullshit anyway, so I could give a shit about the EPA or emissions testing. And yes, I care about the environment, but global warming is bullshit...Let's just be real and honest about it.

As for crash tests...It's already passed crash testing as a vehicle...It's in production for over a year now. Slapping 2 extra cylinders on an engine should not cause it to fail a crash test...Unless the vehicle was complete garbage to begin with... In which case, I'm sure as long as Jeeps have been around, and other than the JK with their well-known flaws, the Jeep Wrangler (as a whole) has been known as a very reliable and well-built vehicle.

Just personal thoughts, but I don't think that 2 extra cylinders should make that big of a difference... Now, the 200 extra HP and lbs.ft. of torque WOULD make a difference on how fast and hard you hit the wall, or another vehicle, but that would be on the driver's stupidity, not the crash-test capabilities. I mean, the 707HP Hellcat is legal in a Charger, and most of that car is made from recycled Rubbermade containers. ;) But then again if they test it at the same speeds, theoretically it shouldn't make a difference on how many cylinders, or how much power it has.

Deleted member 30519

One of the reasons I bought a gladiator was because I wanted a mid sized jeep truck without the typical tool mentality of the fly by hemi trucks. I guess I'll have to trade this thing in sooner than I thought. Hmm maybe I should flip it now with all the mods I got done with it.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Emissions are bullshit anyway, so I could give a shit about the EPA or emissions testing. And yes, I care about the environment, but global warming is bullshit...Let's just be real and honest about it.

As for crash tests...It's already passed crash testing as a vehicle...It's in production for over a year now. Slapping 2 extra cylinders on an engine should not cause it to fail a crash test...Unless the vehicle was complete garbage to begin with... In which case, I'm sure as long as Jeeps have been around, and other than the JK with their well-known flaws, the Jeep Wrangler (as a whole) has been known as a very reliable and well-built vehicle.

Just personal thoughts, but I don't think that 2 extra cylinders should make that big of a difference... Now, the 200 extra HP and lbs.ft. of torque WOULD make a difference on how fast and hard you hit the wall, or another vehicle, but that would be on the driver's stupidity, not the crash-test capabilities. I mean, the 707HP Hellcat is legal in a Charger, and most of that car is made from recycled Rubbermade containers. ;) But then again if they test it at the same speeds, theoretically it shouldn't make a difference on how many cylinders, or how much power it has.
Your opinion is yours, and I won't try to convince you otherwise.

My understanding of what I've read is that the vehicle has to be designed so the engine drops down instead of being pushed into the cab. The Hemi fits in the space, but is just big enough it's pushed into the cab instead of dropping in a major crash. If this is correct, I'm curious as to what they did to resolve the issue.

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
Gave only a 1-star rating at the crash test ? :-D
Sponsored