Sponsored

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
It only has an 18.3 gallon fuel tank? That stinks. I guess to have room for the def fluid or what it uses?
I don’t think that is correct. My diesel Wrangler has an 18 gallon tank, but when I was ordering my diesel Gladiator my dealer looked it up and it was 23 gallons. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SalukiFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel
I don’t think that is correct. My diesel Wrangler has an 18 gallon tank, but when I was ordering my diesel Gladiator my dealer looked it up and it was 23 gallons. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.
My Gladiator EcoDiesel has an option "Extra 4 gallons of gas"...which I assume means "fuel" and should make the gas tank 22-23 gallons

I hope that's true....22 gallons with 28mpg...over 600 gallons per tank!

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
According to the FCA spec release in their update last week, states that it has 18.3gal fuel tank & then add in the def tank capacity.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Gladiator EcoDiesel has an option "Extra 4 gallons of gas"...which I assume means "fuel" and should make the gas tank 22-23 gallons

If Im not mistaken, that just means they add 4 gal of fuel for delivery.

timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel

I wish that were true in having a larger tank, however I think what you are seeing on the order form is a line item for the actual "gas" or "diesel" that is pumped into the tank. Code "YG3" - 3.5 Additional Gallons of Diesel. Code "YGN" - 4 Additional Gallons of Gas. Both have a $0 cost associated with them on my "priced order confirmation form".

Sponsored

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
According to the FCA spec release in their update last week, states that it has 18.3gal fuel tank & then add in the def tank capacity.
Well that stinks. I was excited when my dealer told me it was 23 gallons. My wrangler with the 18 gallon tank is nice, but an extra 5 gallons would be even better. I thought it could be possible given all the extra real estate under the truck for the def tank to not take up fuel tank space.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t seen it mentioned on here yet but I swear I read the max towing we can expect it to be is 6k. That was due to technical limitations of cooling and air intake at the front. This is a summization based off the same engine being in the ram 1500 with 40lbs of torque higher. When the Jeep folks were asked why that was their specific comment was a much decreased air volume coming in through the front.

JTTrailDraggin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Airport operations manager
I ordered a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 3rd gen diesel as soon as it became available last fall. I took delivery of the truck in February and it has been flawless. The EPA Numbers posted are false. I get significantly better fuel economy than what is listed. I’ve seen close to 40mpg hwy a few times now lightly loaded!!!

Fast forward to last week it was time to replace our 2016 Ram Rebel. I’ve wanted a diesel gladiator from the moment they announced it. However due to engine and transmission costs for the diesel in that platform we elected to buy a gasser instead. When I ordered my Ram the Diesel engine cost was 900$(introductory offer to get people driving them) in the Gladiator it’s 7395$(I’m in Canada) I was expecting the diesel to run between 4-5k. In the end we bought a gasser Rubicon off the lot as I couldn’t get by the fact that they wanted so much money to get that diesel power plant. With the towing capacities etc. Just didn’t seem worth it to scratch out the extra dough. Even though I absolutely love my Ram with that engine. Its way better than my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel was. So far my wife and I are fighting over who gets to drive the Gladiator Though.... Lol

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t seen it mentioned on here yet but I swear I read the max towing we can expect it to be is 6k. That was due to technical limitations of cooling and air intake at the front. This is a summization based off the same engine being in the ram 1500 with 40lbs of torque higher. When the Jeep folks were asked why that was their specific comment was a much decreased air volume coming in through the front.
Correct, towing is 6k with max payload as little as 1,075 for the JTR diesel.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I ordered a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 3rd gen diesel as soon as it became available last fall. I took delivery of the truck in February and it has been flawless. The EPA Numbers posted are false. I get significantly better fuel economy than what is listed. I’ve seen close to 40mpg hwy a few times now lightly loaded!!!

Fast forward to last week it was time to replace our 2016 Ram Rebel. I’ve wanted a diesel gladiator from the moment they announced it. However due to engine and transmission costs for the diesel in that platform we elected to buy a gasser instead. When I ordered my Ram the Diesel engine cost was 900$(introductory offer to get people driving them) in the Gladiator it’s 7395$(I’m in Canada) I was expecting the diesel to run between 4-5k. In the end we bought a gasser Rubicon off the lot as I couldn’t get by the fact that they wanted so much money to get that diesel power plant. With the towing capacities etc. Just didn’t seem worth it to scratch out the extra dough. Even though I absolutely love my Ram with that engine. Its way better than my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel was. So far my wife and I are fighting over who gets to drive the Gladiator Though.... Lol
Down here the diesel option has been $4k over the Pentastar for Grand Cherokee and Ram , but often diesels are excluded from promotions and sales, making it a bigger premium.

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
It only has an 18.3 gallon fuel tank? That stinks. I guess to have room for the def fluid or what it uses?
It's definitely a puny tank. Hopefully Titan will have a bigger midship tank available. They have one for the Colorado.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
adam from Rockkrawler told me on their JL diesel with 38s, the mpg on the freeway went from 25 to 28/29 Swapping from 3.73s to 4.11s and said hed definitely do 4.56s if he had to do it all over again.
38" tires completely changes the game.

I'm talking stock condition. In the Ram application, we're already seeing significant differences in real world MPG between the 3.21 and 3.92 trucks. On the Gladiator it would be the same. 3.21 gears would net the Gladiator much better mileage, particularly on trips.

Neat trick how that Diesel rubicon loses 1 mpg highway AND city, but keeps the same combined score.
the tow rating has NOTHING to do with the 3.73 axle ratio. The Ram 1500 uses the same trans and with 3.21 gears and 32" tires has a 13,900 GCW.
On 33" tires, you're only turning about 2080rpm at 80mph. That'll just nicely let you stay in 8th gear all day. if you go up to 35's, you'll turn 1990.
It has everything to do with it. On the Ram, selecting 3.21 gears automatically decreases towing capacity by over a ton. And, did you notice how the "Max Tow" package on the Gladiator included a deeper axle ratio as it's primary feature?

With the diesel, deeper gearing is to keep the towing respectable. But, since the JT has relatively low diesel towing figures to begin with, they would have lost nothing by doing 3.21 gears. However, they would have gained significant MPG. They really missed the boat on that.

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
What am I missing here? Torque is 50% higher on the diesel, yet towing capacity is decreased. Aside from folks not towing wanting a bit of extra range on a tank, what's the point? Why not save yourself 4k and bring 2 x 5 gallon jerrys? or if you're never going to tow or use the payload, get a small slip tank and get way more range. I was planning on going diesel potentially for towing reasons but now I'm left wondering if that's the right move.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What am I missing here? Torque is 50% higher on the diesel, yet towing capacity is decreased. Aside from folks not towing wanting a bit of extra range on a tank, what's the point? Why not save yourself 4k and bring 2 x 5 gallon jerrys? or if you're never going to tow or use the payload, get a small slip tank and get way more range. I was planning on going diesel potentially for towing reasons but now I'm left wondering if that's the right move.
There is no financial point, and no practical point. Buying the diesel in the Jeep is simply a desire. Some folks (like me) enjoy the sound of the clatter on a cold morning, and the smell of the oily fuel at the pump. It's just an experience.

You'll never save money, ever. And you can't haul or tow as much because this application is capped at a certain GVWR. And range is artificially capped by the fact that only 51% of stations sell diesel per AAA. So there's no reason other than the feel you get when you hit the starter button.

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
There is no financial point, and no practical point. Buying the diesel in the Jeep is simply a desire. Some folks (like me) enjoy the sound of the clatter on a cold morning, and the smell of the oily fuel at the pump. It's just an experience.

You'll never save money, ever. And you can't haul or tow as much because this application is capped at a certain GVWR. And range is artificially capped by the fact that only 51% of stations sell diesel per AAA. So there's no reason other than the feel you get when you hit the starter button.
I was looking at the diesel for towing so the truck wouldn't be at redline every time I drive through a mountain pass. I'm assuming this thing will still outperform the v6 towing but them stating the max tow is less than the v6 is concerning? IDK, the torque numbers say otherwise so I'm left confused. I'm not looking to save money or soak in the smell of diesel at the pump, I just don't want to feel like a piston is going to fly out of my hood every time I am going up anything over 8% grade.
Sponsored