First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
So I just got a new Gladiator. First time, I am 40 and I wanted one since I was a teen. Now, I have it the base model 2021 sport and I am so overwhelmed of all the things to do and options to get. I have an idea of what I want to do but cant seem to get all these specifics right. Would love some input. Here is a list of what I want to do?

1. Lift (Probably 2 in) - Is Mopar ALL that different than Rough Country. I am more looking for a better drive overall and eventually do some trails. I heard Rough Country was, well, rough.

2. Tires/wheels - I am looking at 17 and 35. I think they look great on the 2 in lift. Love it! So what are all the other numbers when I am looking, mostly on tires. Is there a best site to get the wheels and tires for cost?

3. Front grill, winch and lights - So many options

4. Radio - Do I have to use uConnect or can I just get an aftermarket and install it? I have done radio installs before but I want something I can sinc my phone with to navigate.

5. Other accessories I am looking at where do, where should I be looking, ie tubular doors, steps to get into it (Wife is short), roll out cover. What is your favorite place to look.

Any help or contributions would be great!
Sponsored

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
So I just got a new Gladiator. First time, I am 40 and I wanted one since I was a teen. Now, I have it the base model 2021 sport and I am so overwhelmed of all the things to do and options to get. I have an idea of what I want to do but cant seem to get all these specifics right. Would love some input. Here is a list of what I want to do?

1. Lift (Probably 2 in) - Is Mopar ALL that different than Rough Country. I am more looking for a better drive overall and eventually do some trails. I heard Rough Country was, well, rough.

2. Tires/wheels - I am looking at 17 and 35. I think they look great on the 2 in lift. Love it! So what are all the other numbers when I am looking, mostly on tires. Is there a best site to get the wheels and tires for cost?

3. Front grill, winch and lights - So many options

4. Radio - Do I have to use uConnect or can I just get an aftermarket and install it? I have done radio installs before but I want something I can sinc my phone with to navigate.

5. Other accessories I am looking at where do, where should I be looking, ie tubular doors, steps to get into it (Wife is short), roll out cover. What is your favorite place to look.

Any help or contributions would be great!
1. Mopar is going to be higher quality/better ride than a basic Rough Country lift. Also, no warranty issues. My recommendation is drive it and see if you need a lift! If it's just for looks, that old saying comes into play...buy once cry once (meaning spend the $$ and get a good lift. There are better than Mopar out there also, all based on what you want to do)
2. Most tires are sold in metric sizes (ie. 250/80-17). here's a link to a good explanation:
https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/en-US/tire-basics/tire-size#:~:text=The two-digit number after,the tire's sidewall will be.

@Discount Tire is a vendor on here and offer just about anything you need
3. :) enjoy the search!
4. You can replace the factory stereo although there aren't a ton of options yet for the JT/JL platform. Visit the specific audio forum on here to see different options.
5. Quadratec, Extreme Terrain are vendors I've dealt with and had no issues. Check out the 'What did you do to your Gladiator' thread for more ideas than you have $$$

Last edited:

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
You have to slow down, prioritize, and budget unless you have shit tons of spare cash to play with. Donā€™t buy stuff on a whim just to hate it later. I did that on my JK and itā€™s expensive.

1. Iā€™m no suspension expert, but Iā€™m pretty sure the springs and shocks are what make or break the ride when it comes to lift kits. Do your research, come up with a budget, and make one purchase. If you like the way your JT rides now go with a spacer lift. If you want a more firm ride, or some other custom aspect, then go with a full kit.

2. Tons of websites. @Discount Tire can help you out here. I prefer dealing with local tire shops, but friends have had good luck with Discount.

3. Yes there are.

4. Donā€™t know much about that stuff.

5. Quadratec, Northridge 4x4, and 4 Wheel Parts are where I normally shop.

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
Disclaimer upfront, Iā€˜m trying to keep myself from building up my JT, I still have my JKU that is lifted on 35s for the dirt.

1. LIFT - the lesson I learned with my JK, when it come to a lift the springs and shocks give you the hight. With just those components your geometry will be off, the Jeep will be flighty and harder to control, with taller springs even more so. To correct the handling plan to add control arms or geometry correction brackets, and an adjustable track bar or track bar bracket. Looking at the limited kits available currently for the JT, Iā€™d go with the Mopar 2ā€, at that height it probably would only need the additional lower control arms and Iā€™m a fan of Fox Shocks.

2. WHEELS AND TIRES - Iā€™ve purchase from Tire Rack and was happy with price and delivery time. I was at my local tire shop last week, it seems in my area there maybe a shortage of 35ā€ tires and priced reflects that.

3. LIGHTS AND ACCESSORIES - yep there are a lot of options. With lights Iā€™d say give thought to what you need and plan out a clean build. I donā€˜t have the accessory switch option so a switch pod would be my first step.

4. RADIO - because of how shallow the void in the dash is radios that fit are limited. Crutchfield showed only three that would fit, and they were all on back order when I was looking. Then there is the trade off of losing some of the vehicle programming the factory head unit gave. I ended up installing a uConnect 4c. Iā€™m super happy with it.

5. SHOPPING - so many places online to buy from, i mostly use Northridge and Quadratec.

good luck with the build and enjoy the Jeep!

OP
OP
cdaynola

cdaynola

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
1. Mopar is going to be higher quality/better ride than a basic Rough Country lift. Also, no warranty issues. My recommendation is drive it and see if you need a lift! If it's just for looks, that old saying comes into play...buy once cry once (meaning spend the $$ and get a good lift. There are better than Mopar out there also, all based on what you want to do)
2. Most tires are sold in metric sizes (ie. 250/80-17). here's a link to a good explanation:
https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/en-US/tire-basics/tire-size#:~:text=The two-digit number after,the tire's sidewall will be.

@Discount Tire is a vendor on here and offer just about anything you need
3. :) enjoy the search!
4. You can replace the factory stereo although there aren't a ton of options yet for the JT/JL platform. Visit the specific audio forum on here to see different options.
5. Quadratec, Extreme Terrain are vendors I've dealt with and had no issues. Check out the 'What did you do to your Gladiator' thread for more ideas than you have $$$
Thank you. Very helpful!

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
I like the Mopar lift I just installed on my Sport S. In all honesty, as others have said, prioritize and budget what your plans are. And please, for the love of God, don't install some angry grill! Just my opinion but they're awful.

Jeeps are modern day civics, there are endless modifications you can do. First figure out what you need your Gladiator to do. Are you hauling things? Towing things? Do you need to fit in tight parking garages? Is MPG a major concern? Frequent trips places? Whats required to get to/from those locations?

Once you know these things, enjoy your gladiator stock and see what you need to change to make it more enjoyable and do the things you need it to do, better.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
First off.. Welcome and congrats. The Blue Looks good!

If you go with Mopar and have the dealership install then everything is under warranty. But make sure they perform alignments or go to a good truck shop that knows how to do them. Mine was sent out to a local shop for the alignment.

Think hard and long about 35" tires. With the 3.73 gears, it will become a dog. You can get some pep out of it by installing a controller like Pedal Commander but will suffer on hills. Shifts down at least 2 gears and 4k rpm. MPG will suffer. A good gear for 35's are 4.56 gears.

For everything else you will just have to look at mods and decide what you like. Quadratec is a place to look for ideas and then go to the MFG for quotes. Go to Rebel Offroad and look at some of their Gladiator builds or any other major off road shop. Shops are putting new stuff out every day for the JT's. Had mine for over a year now and still undecided on a rear bumper.

OP
OP
cdaynola

cdaynola

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
First off.. Welcome and congrats. The Blue Looks good!

If you go with Mopar and have the dealership install then everything is under warranty. But make sure they perform alignments or go to a good truck shop that knows how to do them. Mine was sent out to a local shop for the alignment.

Think hard and long about 35" tires. With the 3.73 gears, it will become a dog. You can get some pep out of it by installing a controller like Pedal Commander but will suffer on hills. Shifts down at least 2 gears and 4k rpm. MPG will suffer. A good gear for 35's are 4.56 gears.

For everything else you will just have to look at mods and decide what you like. Quadratec is a place to look for ideas and then go to the MFG for quotes. Go to Rebel Offroad and look at some of their Gladiator builds or any other major off road shop. Shops are putting new stuff out every day for the JT's. Had mine for over a year now and still undecided on a rear bumper.
Thank you! I love the color. I am a blue fanatic honestly. I appreciate the insite. I am not sure what the gears are though.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Differential gears. All have 3.73 gears except the max tow and Rubicon which have 4.10 gears. I just had mine changed to 4.56 gears. Just over $1700. Much better at lugging around the 35" tires.
On 35's with 3.73 gears you will be doing about 2000 RPM at hiway speed. as soon as you hit the hill you wont have the torque and will downshift at least 2 gears and go to 4000 rpm (unless its a manual). Otherwise it will be a boat anchor. Much better handling hills and MPG is better with the new gears.

Sponsored

DanHillAK

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 92 BMW M5 Touring, 2017 Volvo XC90
Have the MOPAR lift on my JT, had a Rough Country on my JK...don't waste your money on a cheap lift like RC, it's night and day!

Wheels and tires: lots of googling required, how loud do you want your tires to be as you run down the road?

Yeah, there are endless options for everything else, just remember that critical components that get pounded you are better off paying more and crying once. Take your time and enjoy it!!!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Welcome to owning a JT. I live just right across the border from you. You made an awesome choice getting a soft top on there. Perfect for the weather around here. Took my 16 years of wanting to finally get my first jeep so I know the feeling.

1. I would go quality parts on the lift and tires. How much wheeling are you thinking of? If you are not set on 35s you can usually find a set of 33 rubicon take offs with the suspension without to much looking.

3. Front Grill, please don't touch it. I die a little everytime I see an angry jeep in town. ;) Lights think about how you will use the JT before you go to far into it. Folding down the windshield is fun, some lights will block that. Winch and bumper there are so many options out there it can get overwelming. Some factors that may go into this is how much truck do you need since it will effect payload if you go with something full size and heavy.

4. How base did you go? The Uconnect with Android auto is actually pretty awesome. Some people use the insaine auto one. Make sure you stay waterproof with what you put in. As you know we get random pop up rain storms

5. I love my diamondback HD cover, expensive but secure even when I have the doors off and allows hauling on top.

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Your point? The amount of aftermarket support is higher than its ever been
My point was that a Jeep isn't a modern day Civic in any way shape or form. They are completely different vehicles and the Jeep aftermarket has been growing for longer then the Civic existed. The Jeep CJ/Wrangler was always the benchmark for modifiable/customizable vehicles. I'm glad the Gladiator has inherited the CJ/Wrangler heritage and aftermarket base.

I wasn't trying to start a fight. I honestly thought maybe you weren't aware of just how far back the history of modifying Jeeps went.
Sponsored