Winshield Replacement Question

Dkronke

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I got my first star, and it spread pretty quickly. Now I'm looking at getting it replaced, but am getting quoted $600 because I have the safety package with ACC and FCD. I know there's a little section of defrost wires over that camera, and the extra black paint around the ACC box, but since I don't use the ACC and turned off the FCD, is there any reason I couldn't get the cheaper windshield replacement and save some money? Is there a physical size difference or something besides the defrost wire terminals? None of the glass places around here will give me a straight answer, and with the rate these things seem to crack, I'd sure like to save a few hundred each time I have to replace one. Appreciate any info you can offer.
Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
$600 is cheap my local glass guy said a $1000 which included the re calibration you have to do. Thats the whole reason I didn't but a JT with the collision avoidance. I jeep OEM windshield at the cheapest place here is $575 or $325 for non oem

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I got my first star, and it spread pretty quickly. Now I'm looking at getting it replaced, but am getting quoted $600 because I have the safety package with ACC and FCD. I know there's a little section of defrost wires over that camera, and the extra black paint around the ACC box, but since I don't use the ACC and turned off the FCD, is there any reason I couldn't get the cheaper windshield replacement and save some money? Is there a physical size difference or something besides the defrost wire terminals? None of the glass places around here will give me a straight answer, and with the rate these things seem to crack, I'd sure like to save a few hundred each time I have to replace one. Appreciate any info you can offer.
Wow, I only WISH mine had been that bloody cheap!
Mine was over $900 - about 960 I think. Yes it was done by a dealer's "collision shop" and yes it's the genuine MOPAR windshield, not a 3rd party, but still...........
I had a windshield put in my 1982 Eagle about 9 years ago for a whopping $250!
I figure about a grand each time it gets broke.

$600 is cheap my local glass guy said a $1000 which included the re calibration you have to do.
We've covered the so-called "recalibration" and it's not a requirement. It was never done on mine and several other members have said the same - no recalibration is needed since nothing is actually attached to the glass on these - it's not like a Grand Cherokee. Heck, you can fold the windshield down and back up and things still work.
It's just that the glass is expensive. I was told the glass cost as a line item thing, then the cost of install and there was no recalibration of anything ever considered - nor was it done.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
... We've covered the so-called "recalibration" and it's not a requirement. It was never done on mine and several other members have said the same - no recalibration is needed since nothing is actually attached to the glass on these - it's not like a Grand Cherokee. ...
I told my daughter what I'd heard/read about the need for recalibration of the advanced cruise control and she said that really shouldn't be necessary. Since she is Dr Chloe F. Doiron, PhD, Applied Physics, with a specialty in optics, I find your comment reinforcing. I'll have to pass it to her.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was a $50 deductible through my insurance, I was quoted $290 for non OEM and $500 for OEM replacement without using my insurance. One thing I will tell you is make sure you tell them you want the little jeep thing on the windshield in the right corner or you may or may not get it. My buddy had replaced before me and he didn't tell them and his new one doesn't got it. I made sure to mention it to safelite when they we're ordering mine and they made notes.

Sponsored

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
I thought windshield replacement was a no deductible benefit on most insurance policies. Will make sure its the case or at least low deductible on w/e policy I get on the JT.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I thought windshield replacement was a no deductible benefit on most insurance policies. Will make sure its the case or at least low deductible on w/e policy I get on the JT.

Mines $50 but still better than full price

Sponsored

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Go to Etsy and look up stickers for jeeps

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Thought Gorilla glass came out with a replacement for the JT that was supposed to be way better than the factory OEM Glasses. The Lite Brite Crew on Youtube did a segment on them replacing with Gorilla glass and even had a discount code to get $50 off

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No such thing as "most". It very much depends on the company, the policy and your choices.

For our 5 vehicles, it varies on each one of them and three of those are Jeeps.
If you have one REPAIRED, there's no charge in most cases. They'd rather repair a chip than replace the whole thing. We've had at least 4 repaired and it didn't cost a cent.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
No such thing as "most". It very much depends on the company, the policy and your choices.

For our 5 vehicles, it varies on each one of them and three of those are Jeeps.
If you have one REPAIRED, there's no charge in most cases. They'd rather repair a chip than replace the whole thing. We've had at least 4 repaired and it didn't cost a cent.
After reading and seeing Jeep's with cracked windshields, we got full glass coverage on the Gladiator. Chips are fixed for free. Windshield replacement would be free too if we needed it; I think 2/yr.
Sponsored