Sponsored

Any rumors for 2022 Gladiator changes?

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
I actually find UConnect with Android Auto WAY more effective than any of my Acura navigation interfaces. DLAW, I see you have several Hondas; I'd imagine you've experienced frustration with the Honda navigation/infotainment units as well.

I haven't used the voice command options...I'm used to navigating through the center console interface. And I gotta be honest, I'm not sure I'd ever ask how much fuel I had left (that would never enter my mind). But I would ask for local restaurants, ATMs, directions to airports, etc. as I do in my Acuras. I would expect giving me that information within several seconds.
Maybe my opinion on it needs to separated into two categories. The info screen itself is actually not bad at all. I like ability to customize the info behind the steering wheel. I thought that giving us the ability to choose what info is displayed in those 3 positions at the top is really nice. So that's just navigating information while I'm in the truck. It works pretty well.

However, my negative opinion is on all the features warranting a name like "u connect". Even the logo has wifi like bands above the U. All features besides the "remote" are 100% broken for me, and I've posted this complaint in another thread where I went into more detail and several other people jumped in and said they have the same issue. I'll break this down really quickly:
Take the UConnect App on your phone. It should have 3 tabs at the bottom. One of which is "remote" for locking doors and starting it. That works most of the time. The other two are "information" and "Location". They don't exist for me and many other people. Jeep has no idea why. And Sirius has no idea why. They can't fix it. In those tabs, you are supposed to get health status updates and be able to search an address on your phone and send it to your truck's nav.
In your manual on page 307, it lists how you can interact with these features via a Google Home device. I can say "hey google" and start my truck while I'm getting ready to leave in the morning. But all the other features, like "how much fuel do I have" are broken in MANY MANY ways. health status and information of any kind is broken on Google, on the Android App, and the Mopar.com website. Errors all over the place, and no one cares to fix any of it.

So ask you: Why are they calling this system "u connect"? is it because you get inside your truck and push buttons with your fingers? No, that's been around for 100 years. Is it because you can connect your phone to the system with a USB cable and play Spotify? No, that's "Android Auto". Download the actual "U connect" app and see just how much YOU can CONNECT to your Jeep. Chances are pretty good you will have issues with it.

Also, Jeep is selling a particular feature about getting information from your Jeep when you are away from it, such as Tire Pressure, Fuel gauge and even the location of your Jeep on the map. However, it is BY DESIGN that Jeep only tries to get health information once per month. In my opinion, knowing how much fuel is in my tank once per month is useless. If I'm running late in the morning, and my wife drove my truck yesterday, I'd like to know how much fuel is the tank before I leave. Tesla is all real time information. All it takes is a Wifi connection. I've been controlling my house's HVAC remotely for almost 10 years already.

So my scathing review of "u can't connect" is for three main reasons:
  1. The name. If they called it anything else, I wouldn't care so much. But it's broken by title.
  2. Jeep needs to compete with vehicles gaining smart phone and smart home functionality. They are going to get caught with their pants down in a couple more years.
  3. This Mopar system has already been around for years, and they still haven't fixed the issues. It's just negligence to allow tech issues to persist for years.
So 2022... Maybe we can actually CONNECT to the Jeep and do things....anything.

Sponsored

brewerydad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Laramie
Perhaps the eTorque system will be made available like on the Wranglers.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
For a fighter jet.
That's what my wife thought, too, when her BMW had it. "Oh, I'll hate that!" she said.
After a couple of weeks I told her I could shut it off, and she said, "Don't you dare! I LOVE it!"
It's very convenient...

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think they should incorporate some of the RAM features; like the dual swing tailgate, I hate reaching over the tailgate to get stuff out of the bed, make it beefy enough to hold the spare on one side and rotopax on the other and you have a great overlanding vehicle without the need for $$$$$$$$ of aftermarket accessories. in that now empty space under the bed place an extended range fuel tank so someone could get a a decent amount of back country travel done, and voila...

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
Wireless carplay for apple will go live at end of 2021 production.

Also, I heard they are going to make the keyfob more ruggedized. Will be a little bigger, but look way more hearty.
I look forward to the bigger key. Hopefully they will make the seats more manually operated too /s

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Haha weird, I think the Uconnect system is awesome...has always worked super well for me, quick and responsive. I think the onboard navigation is awful and always chooses the most bizarre paths to get somewhere, so that's kind of annoying - but the rest of the system has been outstanding in my opinion!

Of course it wouldn't have even entered my mind to ask my phone to tell me how much gas my vehicle has...so maybe I just have low expectations? :jk:
You are one of the lucky ones. It does not work very well. Send and go it a cool feature but it's a crap shoot if it will actually show up. The vehicle health reports are stupid and yes 2 or more weeks old. My biggest complaint is that my 15 JKU with the Alpine system kicked ass, this one sounds good but I really wish I would have got the basic system and just upgraded myself. It's not horrible but there is huge room for improvement.

Sponsored

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
That's what my wife thought, too, when her BMW had it. "Oh, I'll hate that!" she said.
After a couple of weeks I told her I could shut it off, and she said, "Don't you dare! I LOVE it!"
It's very convenient...
Yup, it's awesome when you don't have to take your eyes off the road 'cause the directions are right in front of you. On your cracked windshield, since it's a Jeep.

But seriously, bullet/rock/boulderproof glass windshields plus a hud would be nice. BMW does have a great implementation of it. GM, not so much.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
It took me a couple days to get all the sirius/Uconnect/mopar/jeep accounts all synced correctly online. Had to actually call their customer support team, as they had created some new accounts and others were merged with my father's (different first names too) and still others were merged with my old jeep or my old chevy. Once they got all that squared away, it has worked well.

As to the 2-week old gas meter reading, mine updates any time i open the app too.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Hopefully the removal of sirus guardian services. Got a sales call on it today and multiple emails, when they asked why reminded me how useless it is. lol Service never updated right at all and even at "half price" $10 a month isn't worth it.
Sponsored