First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Occupation
Firefighter
So I am probably one of the few people who have owned both. I was one of the first who owned the JL Eco Diesels. I owned it for about a year and put 26k miles on it. I then sold it when the Eco Gladiators came available although at the last moment I opted for the 3.6. I did this because after driving the 3.6 Gladiator I realized that it was the 8 speed transmission that was a huge improvement and not so much the diesel. I was driving a JK with 3.6 Five speed for several years before the JL. I loved the way the ECO JL drove but having said that I will also say that according to the Jeep dealer I had put dirty fuel in my JL causing a multitude of problems. While I do agree with one of times this may have happened I do question the other time. I do a lot of traveling and had no choice at what could have been considered a " backwoods" gas station. The other time was outside of Jacksonville, Fl and I am less convinced that was the actual problem. Someone earlier in this post stated that these are proven and have been around since 2014. This motor has been almost completely redesigned making it essentially a new motor. The mechanics at the dealer made sure I knew this ...They made me feel guilty for buying one. Also, It takes forever to get parts for these and that was before the pandemic so if it breaks down out of state...be prepared to fly back down and get it.
I also note that the fuel mileage being reported has to be exaggerated. I had 35s , 2"lift and bumpers and winch on my JL and got 20-21 mpg driving very conservatively. TFL also stated about the same for a ECO gladiator Rubicon stock. Fuelly also offers a JL diesel getting 21 mpg. People reporting 26-27..No way. Grand Cherokee ECO doesn't get that and its aerodynamic and geared for mileage. I say that diesel needs about five years to get the bugs worked out before its considered to be reliable. Almost any repair on the diesel will cost you over a thousand dollars and most likely way more so get a extended warranty or don't keep it past the original. That was my plan.
It truly is a complex engineering feat. Maybe just too complex. I say if you live in the city and don't do much traveling then its not a bad option. The fuel mileage will make a difference driving in the city. I sold mine with 26k miles on it for just shy of what I paid for it.
Just my experience. Happy Holidays!
Sponsored

Reactions: Mac

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
So I am probably one of the few people who have owned both. I was one of the first who owned the JL Eco Diesels. I owned it for about a year and put 26k miles on it. I then sold it when the Eco Gladiators came available although at the last moment I opted for the 3.6. I did this because after driving the 3.6 Gladiator I realized that it was the 8 speed transmission that was a huge improvement and not so much the diesel. I was driving a JK with 3.6 Five speed for several years before the JL. I loved the way the ECO JL drove but having said that I will also say that according to the Jeep dealer I had put dirty fuel in my JL causing a multitude of problems. While I do agree with one of times this may have happened I do question the other time. I do a lot of traveling and had no choice at what could have been considered a " backwoods" gas station. The other time was outside of Jacksonville, Fl and I am less convinced that was the actual problem. Someone earlier in this post stated that these are proven and have been around since 2014. This motor has been almost completely redesigned making it essentially a new motor. The mechanics at the dealer made sure I knew this ...They made me feel guilty for buying one. Also, It takes forever to get parts for these and that was before the pandemic so if it breaks down out of state...be prepared to fly back down and get it.
I also note that the fuel mileage being reported has to be exaggerated. I had 35s , 2"lift and bumpers and winch on my JL and got 20-21 mpg driving very conservatively. TFL also stated about the same for a ECO gladiator Rubicon stock. Fuelly also offers a JL diesel getting 21 mpg. People reporting 26-27..No way. Grand Cherokee ECO doesn't get that and its aerodynamic and geared for mileage. I say that diesel needs about five years to get the bugs worked out before its considered to be reliable. Almost any repair on the diesel will cost you over a thousand dollars and most likely way more so get a extended warranty or don't keep it past the original. That was my plan.
It truly is a complex engineering feat. Maybe just too complex. I say if you live in the city and don't do much traveling then its not a bad option. The fuel mileage will make a difference driving in the city. I sold mine with 26k miles on it for just shy of what I paid for it.
Just my experience. Happy Holidays!
86424059-9E9A-4342-8F84-B57EC7BFFB58.jpeg

Kmo4015

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Occupation
Firefighter
That means nothing. Before I put larher wheels and tire on my gladiator it was reading 25 and it was nowhere near that. Only hand calculated. matters. I can get it to read almost 21.5 with 35s on 3.6 but hand calculated it gets 18ish.
TFL got the same thing towing against the ford hybrid truck. Said 26 or something but was a lot lower. Casey something or another said 26 hwy and 22 city or something close but only averaged 310 per tank?Imperial gals or us gals...doesn't add up. People are hypermilling vehicles to get the mileage up but that is not practical. The only real way in my opinion is to put both vehicles into cruise control on the same course and same speed. Maybe he got a good one but there are people also bitching about only getting 19 on stock tires and wheels.

IMG_20201213_184959014.jpg

IMG_20201213_185050086.jpg

IMG_20201213_185115099.jpg

Sponsored

Kmo4015

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Occupation
Firefighter
25 sounds reasonable stock depending on driver and matter of fact, that's about what I got with my stock jlu but when I added what everybody here does on this forum, 35s, lift kit, bumpers and winch and a tire carrier . ....That definitely took its toll and knocked it back to 21. As I mentioned in another forum I wish I would have kept it stock for that reason and built another off road rig instead.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
@TTEChris why you lying about fuel mileage :CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

^^^^^
I’m still showing 26-27mpg average on the dash with the 37s(speedo calibrated via the GPS with a tazer). That one ride home where I posted the 30.4 I was trying REALLY hard, but I haven’t reset it since.

I still haven’t gone through a full tank of gas, but the next time I fill up I’ll do the math over a full tank and compare to what it says on the dash.

It’s worth mentioning I’m in flat Houston where traffic rarely permits speeds above 70.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I’m still showing 26-27mpg average on the dash with the 37s(speedo calibrated via the GPS with a tazer). That one ride home where I posted the 30.4 I was trying REALLY hard, but I haven’t reset it since.

I still haven’t gone through a full tank of gas, but the next time I fill up I’ll do the math over a full tank and compare to what it says on the dash.

It’s worth mentioning I’m in flat Houston where traffic rarely permits speeds above 70.
oh I don’t think you’re lying at all bud.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager

Keep us posted on your next tank full.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mikeđź–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I just drove from Dallas back to San Antonio down 35, cruise control set to 75. I had the occasional moments where I needed to speed up andsow down, got stuck in traffic near Austin (duh..), and hit construction through New Braunfels (stop and go for 30 minutes) and this is what I was able to get.

Also, I was coming back from a trip to Broken Bow, OK, so I was loaded with gear and stuff too.

Anything is possible if you just believe :D

20201215_074447.jpg

20201215_074452.jpg

_MG_7521 (3).jpg