Badlands Apex- $374.99- Great price on a 12,000lb Winch

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Curious is fine.. I just HATE HARBOR CRAP STUFF. there ya have it. Having been wheeling over 50 years I prefer to spend my hard erned money on a brand that i have trusted over the years.
im confused, so you used and abused a China super winch, and it looks like it did you well. 2008 until....? But now you are recommended the American line of warn winches?
Sponsored

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
im confused, so you used and abused a China super winch, and it looks like it did you well. 2008 until....? But now you are recommended the American line of warn winches?
Should i get out the crayons? cause your so confused? YEs and that is why i own WARN now because it didnt hold up.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is the result of a catastrophic failure at the frame of the drum deciding it did not want to be integral to the foundation.
yea I’m Sure anything will fail with neglect, right?

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should i get out the crayons? cause your so confused? YEs and that is why i own WARN now because it didnt hold up.
I think my son has some you can borrow. How many years have you had your American WARN and how much did it cost you?

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Hey boomer, this is a thread for people interested in the apex winch. Not Warn chinese winches, or overpriced american Warn, or superwinch. Take your hate elsewhere. Better yet go start a thread about your superior warn winch and show whoever cares why its superior.

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The are plenty of winches online I wouldn’t buy. I’d feel as comfortable with a Smittybilt as I would with a Chinese Warn (except I’d buy the Smittybilt for the bang for the buck). The Badlands makes me admittedly a bit nervous but for that price, I’d grab it and never look back.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Also kicking myself for now buying at that price and hoping there's another sale soon!

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
This is the remains of a Superwinch. AKA another name for another china winch

winch1.jpg

winch2.jpg

Just an observation... it appears at the time of failure you were using two snatch blocks, and based on the damage to the tree, it appears there was a significant load being pulled.

Also, what would be the right front mounting boss didn't break like the others and it doesn't appear to have snapped the bolt. The top of the bolt recessed in the winch plate has corrosion on it, so it does not appear to be a fresh break. Were there only 3 bolts holding the winch to the mounting plate? If so, given the significant load being pulled, that may explain the failure.

If you prefer to run a Warn winch, then that's certainly fine. They are known for making good winches. We are each entitled to decide how we want to spend our own money.

But I don't think the failure pictured above proves that winches made in China are poor quality. A product's country of origin is too generic to define if something is of high quality or low quality. Many factories import components from other places. Even a US made product may have globally sourced materials.
Sponsored