First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Folks, I am having a bumper dilemma. Ive scrolled all sorts of threads looking at options, and wonder if Im tapped out or if Ive missed a possible candidate. I dont want some hobbled together welded up hunk of junk Or looking like it came out of mad max.

my purpose for a bumper, above all else, Is to protect the radiator from an animal strike on a trip. I am questioning the use of a stubby bumper...i understand why they are great for crawlers, but i dont think i want to give up some degree of wheel protection during a strike.

the crem-de-la-crem i want is the AEV. Its light. Its stamped steel. Its airbag and crash certified. But it’s not available. At this point im leaning towards just waiting for this.

the ARB Bondi Deluxe checks all the blocks that the AEV does at a lower price, but it is holy F heavy. Im seeing 140+lb for the bumper BEFORE a winch. If thats accurate, thats a lot of weight.

the Venator bumper looks good, priced cheap, stamped steel, light weight. But the wings are just bold on decorative so its pretty much just a stubby. And the hoop is just one bolt into the bumper. I cant see that holding up. called RR and they dont know what kind of steel it is, how thick it is, and there was no crash testing done.

the mopar steel bumper is affordable, readily available, stamped steel but the wings are bolt on and likely decorative. Its also kinda “basic bitch”. Rubitrux does have some better center hoops for it that work for my purpose, but im trying to understand where they get off charging $300+ for them.

The quadratec aluminum bumper seems like it might be a good option, light, good price, steel center section. Looks ive seem are just kind of so-so.

am i missing any viable options?
Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Weight is the penalty for the kind of protection you want. Look at rock hard 4x4 aluminum series full width. 1/4” aluminum plate with out the weight penalty but it’s not cheap. Then again if your looking at AEV your obviously flush 😉

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Ill check them out thanks. Also just Found the Westin bumper. Looks like its about 100lb and looks ok.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Kurt, why didn't you just get a Rubicon instead of that wimpy Mojave that can't even carry a bumper???
I like the Barricade aluminum full width (54 lbs.), D rings, has what I consider a very robust looking over ride bar, takes factory fogs, and is $599.99, No not six hundred, only $599.99! Steel version is $399.99! Have no idea about crash ratings, but would think perhaps you should just avoid crashing instead! There is probably a lot of options out there but I get the not liking the add on things or even the bolts all over the Mopar steel one....Jack

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Kurt, why didn't you just get a Rubicon instead of that wimpy Mojave that can't even carry a bumper???
I like the Barricade aluminum full width (54 lbs.), D rings, has what I consider a very robust looking over ride bar, takes factory fogs, and is $599.99, No not six hundred, only $599.99! Steel version is $399.99! Have no idea about crash ratings, but would think perhaps you should just avoid crashing instead! There is probably a lot of options out there but I get the not liking the add on things or even the bolts all over the Mopar steel one....Jack
right? Just dont tell the rubicon people that the mojave springs are actually stiffer.

ill check those out. Thanks.

Sponsored

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
I have a Barricade bumper on mine and it has grown on me. Definitely wasn't my first choice but I was able to get it dirt cheap since it was an open box item.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I think you are underestimating the strength of the factory metal bumper wings, they attach with quite a few decent bolts they also slip over the edge of the bumper where they attach so it is more than the bolts providing strength IMO they should hold up pretty well and protect the tire if you leave them on. I had one on my JKU it is a pretty stout piece, the ends are fairly heavy on their own as well.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I think you are underestimating the strength of the factory metal bumper wings, they attach with quite a few decent bolts they also slip over the edge of the bumper where they attach so it is more than the bolts providing strength IMO they should hold up pretty well and protect the tire if you leave them on. I had one on my JKU it is a pretty stout piece, the ends are fairly heavy on their own as well.
you very well could be right. Im actually googling around looking for pictures of front end crashed jeeps to see what the result was. Stamped steel is no joke, so as long as the bolts dont fail, it might hold up.

I also considered welding a reinforcement tab to the venator wings.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
these might work.

Jeep Gladiator Bumper dilemma 841740CD-E122-45D7-8C27-489074010B9E

Jeep Gladiator Bumper dilemma A6BD5764-002C-409E-A150-AD8BE575D7FA

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Folks, I am having a bumper dilemma. Ive scrolled all sorts of threads looking at options, and wonder if Im tapped out or if Ive missed a possible candidate. I dont want some hobbled together welded up hunk of junk Or looking like it came out of mad max.

my purpose for a bumper, above all else, Is to protect the radiator from an animal strike on a trip. I am questioning the use of a stubby bumper...i understand why they are great for crawlers, but i dont think i want to give up some degree of wheel protection during a strike.

the crem-de-la-crem i want is the AEV. Its light. Its stamped steel. Its airbag and crash certified. But it’s not available. At this point im leaning towards just waiting for this.

the ARB Bondi Deluxe checks all the blocks that the AEV does at a lower price, but it is holy F heavy. Im seeing 140+lb for the bumper BEFORE a winch. If thats accurate, thats a lot of weight.

the Venator bumper looks good, priced cheap, stamped steel, light weight. But the wings are just bold on decorative so its pretty much just a stubby. And the hoop is just one bolt into the bumper. I cant see that holding up. called RR and they dont know what kind of steel it is, how thick it is, and there was no crash testing done.

the mopar steel bumper is affordable, readily available, stamped steel but the wings are bolt on and likely decorative. Its also kinda “basic bitch”. Rubitrux does have some better center hoops for it that work for my purpose, but im trying to understand where they get off charging $300+ for them.

The quadratec aluminum bumper seems like it might be a good option, light, good price, steel center section. Looks ive seem are just kind of so-so.

am i missing any viable options?
IMO a stubby is generally enough for core protection with a good bull bar but wheel strikes hard enough to cause serious damage are going to be extremely rare with a proper setup.. Realistically, with anything large enough to cause real damage, you're going to hit high enough that you'll destroy the fender but with a strong bumper and bar, you'll largely get away under your own power. Part of the risk of a wide bumper is the bumper bending back into the tire which can require removal... just a thought because the risks go both ways.

The biggest knock on the stock steel for me is that you need a 20+ lb winch plate which makes the bumper just as heavy as any plate bumper with less strength. The wings are fairly strong but the bumper is stamped steel so it won't compete with all the 3/16"plate bumpers out there.

I suggest getting what you want. I don't see the value in the AEV bumper when that's a lot of coin to improve elsewhere but if you like it and don't mind spending, it's probably what you should go with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
IMO a stubby is generally enough for core protection with a good bull bar but wheel strikes hard enough to cause serious damage are going to be extremely rare with a proper setup.. Realistically, with anything large enough to cause real damage, you're going to hit high enough that you'll destroy the fender but with a strong bumper and bar, you'll largely get away under your own power.

The biggest knock on the stock steel for me is that you need a 20+ lb winch plate which makes the bumper just as heavy as any plate bumper with less strength. The wings are fairly strong but the bumper is stamped steel so it won't compete with all the 3/16"plate bumpers out there.

I suggest getting what you want. I don't see the value in the AEV bumper when that's a lot of coin to improve elsewhere but if you like it and don't mind spending, it's probably what you should go with.
thats kind of what im thinking. Anything other than the AEV is a compromise for me. Its the right weight, absurdly strong, and I like it. The $2800 all in price is admittedly high, but its strong as F and lighter than options of similar robustness.

OrangeSlice

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pun'Kin Sport S
I spent my money on a Rampage mid width. If you are looking for something to hold you over until the AEV is available it will set you back 250 dollars. It fits all jeeps from like 07-present. The only difference was the fog light brackets. So you can either use the opportunity to upgrade your fog lights, or buy a set for a '17 Jeep Wrangler. They use the same wiring harness as a '20 so it is plug and play.

I also wanted to stay away from s full stubby. We do not have much rock to crawl here in FL, but we have tons of trees to hit

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I just dropped 160lbs on the front of my Mojave just above the license plate. It compressed the suspension 1/4” almost exactly.

im a little less worried about the arb/winch combo now since that would add 150 over stock set up.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
right? Just dont tell the rubicon people that the mojave springs are actually stiffer.

ill check those out. Thanks.
Yep, don't want to upset the Rubisnobs.....😁

OrangeSlice

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pun'Kin Sport S
With the Rampage mid-width and a 10k Smittybilt winch I lost right at 1/4" - 3/8" on the front fender. I do have a 2.5" front 1.5" rear Skyjacker Level/lift, so my shocks and springs are not stock.
Sponsored