Rubicon - Plastic bumper to Steel Bumper Conversion

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
This is a great post and I'm about to order my parts.

Two Question though.

#1 - My Rubicon came with the Plastic Bumper w/ LEDs and a metal Skid Plate. Do I need to get the Skid Plate you show as part number 68293984AB or can I just use the one I have? Looking at your photos it looks like your new Skid Plate has fasteners holding it to the bottom of the bumper whereas my existing steel Skid Plate does not have such holes.
#2 - I want to order KC Spot Lamps to mount on my Brush Guard. The adapters are sized to the diameter of the bar they are mounting on. Can someone please confirm the diameter of the Brush Guard Bar?

Thank you,
Matt
The skid plates are different. You need to get the one for the steel bumper. The brush guard tube is 2".
Sponsored

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
Dam I want this but that is an expensive bumper upgrade....want to hear about the stock led upgrade next as well

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Dam I want this but that is an expensive bumper upgrade....want to hear about the stock led upgrade next as well
Instead of total replacement of the entire headlight assembly I went with the Oracle Lighting led bulb headlight conversion kit at $189. They work well and match the color of the bumper LED's.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Buying the parts individually and putting it together yourself is a lot cheaper than buying the full bumper.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-steel-bumper-extra-parts.16508/

I am considering getting the parts for the stubby (without the "wings") and with the skidplate and all I came to somewhere around $400 for the bumper.

EDIT: Just priced it out again and looks like the parts may have come up in price since I checked a month or so ago. New price with everything needed looks to be closer to about $550 with all the necessary hardware. Tacking on another $200 or whatever it is for a winch plate and you're deep into better quality aftermarket bumpers. Damn if the OEM doesn't look good, though!

Last edited:

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Quick question does anyone know if all oem steel bumpers are the same? I bought a oem steel bumper that came off a JL. Bolted up with no problems. When it came to bolting up the skip plate 68293984AB it didn't line up properly with the bolts on the bumper. I had to reuse my old skip plate that came with my plastic bumper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hjdca

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Quick question does anyone know if all oem steel bumpers are the same? I bought a oem steel bumper that came off a JL. Bolted up with no problems. When it came to bolting up the skip plate 68293984AB it didn't line up properly with the bolts on the bumper. I had to reuse my old skip plate that came with my plastic bumper.
I do not know about JLs, but,.....
If you have a Rubicon JT that came with the Plastic bumper, then, to mount the new Skid plate that "ties in" to the steel bumper, you have to remove the 2 adapter brackets that are there to mount the skid plate that does not tie into the steel bumper. If you do not remove those brackets, it will still look like the new steel skid plate should fit, but, it does not. This may be what you are experiencing.
Here are two pics showing the steel bumper with the "tie-in" steel skid plate mounted together. Those two silver bolts on the big bracket were there to mount the old add-on brackets for the old skid plate. I took off the brackets and threaded the bolts back in the holes just for looks, and having 4 extra bolts on-hand for emergencies.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - Plastic bumper to Steel Bumper Conversion geDmTB

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - Plastic bumper to Steel Bumper Conversion IrWHMz

Last edited:

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
If you have a Rubicon JT that came with the Plastic bumper, then, to mount the new Skid plate that "ties in" to the steel bumper, you have to remove the 2 adapter brackets that are there to mount the skid plate that does not tie into the steel bumper. If you do not remove those brackets, it will still look like the new steel skid plate should fit, but, it does not. This may be what you are experiencing.
Had the same experience as Harry

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Here are two pics showing the steel bumper with the "tie-in" steel skid plate mounted together. Those two silver bolts on the big bracket were there to mount the old add-on brackets for the old skid plate. I took off the brackets and threaded the bolts back in the holes just for looks, and having 4 extra bolts on-hand for emergencies.

geDmTB.jpg

IrWHMz.jpg
Thats it!!! I still have the brackets mounted wow I thought I was going crazy!!! I've mounted 2 previously steel bumpers on previous jeeps. I didn't have this issue. No wonder. Thank You again!!!

Last question if anyone knows, does anyone know what the part number is for those clip nut that bolt the steel bumper with the skid plate?

lZbYXWrm.jpg

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - Plastic bumper to Steel Bumper Conversion geDmTB

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - Plastic bumper to Steel Bumper Conversion IrWHMz

Thats it!!! I still have the brackets mounted wow I thought I was going crazy!!! I've mounted 2 previously steel bumpers on previous jeeps. I didn't have this issue. No wonder. Thank You again!!!

Last question if anyone knows, does anyone know what the part number is for those clip nut that bolt the steel bumper with the skid plate?

lZbYXWrm.jpg

OP
OP
hjdca

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
No worries, we all went through the same thing. Here are two pics of the brackets that go with the skid plate on the plastic bumper, but, are not used on the steel bumper with steel bumper skid plate.

goA8ha.jpg

kWsuRi.jpg

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Major FAIL!!! I've done 2 oem steel bumper upgrades never had problems, can't say the same for my gladiator... :headbang: The skip plate I'm using is part number #68293984AB. It's almost as this oem steel bumper is completely different :whatsgoingon:

qljakb9m.jpg

W2URZDLm.jpg

sBykdVUm.jpg

Suy0CWMm.jpg

fEL6T9Im.jpg

Kgw5yIKm.jpg

UPT3mvMm.jpg

DFbcHf4m.jpg

a9d9iAnm.jpg

kZ4AjJ3m.jpg

Sponsored

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
Two questions to this esteemed group. I've just replaced my Rubicon stock plastic bumper with a take-off steel bumper:

1. Any one have a license late holder for the steel bumper that they would like to get out of their way?

2. The skid place for the steel bumper has two bolt holes where it mounts into the frame bracket. However, there is only one hole in the frame bracket for attachment. Am I missing a bracket or is there a rivnut needed in the frame bracket for attachment of a 2nd bolt.

wakeup2river

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
Just to be clear, will the LED fogs in the Rubicon plastic bumper work in the steel bumper?

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Not to Necro an old post.. but has anyone successfully done this on a 2021? The official Mopar site claims this won't work with the 2021, but works with the 2020.

Even asked my dealership, their response was that their system ALSO says it won't fit, but the mechanics can't find a reason why it won't.. unless there's some bolt changes or something they've not ran into, yet, with a 2021. Admittedly, they said mine is the only 2021 they've added things to, thus far, since they had so few of them, this past year.

~ Casp

NewGladdyOWNR

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
MRI Technologist
Not to Necro an old post.. but has anyone successfully done this on a 2021? The official Mopar site claims this won't work with the 2021, but works with the 2020.

Even asked my dealership, their response was that their system ALSO says it won't fit, but the mechanics can't find a reason why it won't.. unless there's some bolt changes or something they've not ran into, yet, with a 2021. Admittedly, they said mine is the only 2021 they've added things to, thus far, since they had so few of them, this past year.

~ Casp
Hmm would like to know also, as I just bought a take off steel bumper with skid plate that I’ve yet to install…

I heard I’ll have issues with my Overland fog lights fitting on the steel bumper. I wish there was a parts number list for the bolts, skid plate brackets, and fog light brackets.

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Hmm would like to know also, as I just bought a take off steel bumper with skid plate that I’ve yet to install…

I heard I’ll have issues with my Overland fog lights fitting on the steel bumper. I wish there was a parts number list for the bolts, skid plate brackets, and fog light brackets.
Went ahead and ordered my Bumper and skid from Bam, last week. Waiting on the shipment.

When it arrives, I'll let you know if I have any fitment issues, plan is to install it the weekend it shows up, along with a Warn EVO 12s and the Warn winch plate.

~ Casp
Sponsored