Sponsored

Towing Black Series HQ15 Travel Trailer Camper?

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Does anyone have experience towing a Black Series HQ 15 yet? Just bought one. Pick up Thursday. Tips!
Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Naturally we will require pictures when you get it, pictures on the trail, and pictures of your off the grid campsites!

Congratulations!

Sponsored

HeadShrinker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I'm looking into buying the HQ17 in the next few months. Need the bunk beds it offers. Hopefully the max tow can handle it.

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I'm looking into buying the HQ17 in the next few months. Need the bunk beds it offers. Hopefully the max tow can handle it.
The HQ15 is at max tow weight 7000#’s. The 17 is too heavy.

HeadShrinker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
The HQ15 is at max tow weight 7000#’s. The 17 is too heavy.

The HQ15 dry weight is under 5k pounds, the HQ17 dry is 5500 lbs. Will it really be over 7600 loaded up? Tongue weight is within gladiator specs. I have been worried about the JT's ability to tow it. Figured we'd start with the gladiator and if it proves insufficient I will just have to get a better tow rig.

OP
OP
Whiplash2130

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
The HQ15 dry weight is under 5k pounds, the HQ17 dry is 5500 lbs. Will it really be over 7600 loaded up? Tongue weight is within gladiator specs. I have been worried about the JT's ability to tow it. Figured we'd start with the gladiator and if it proves insufficient I will just have to get a better tow rig.
Got my HQ15 yesterday. Found out the 2021 dry weight is 1000#’s heavier than earlier models due t adding 2 additional batteries(4 now) and other included updates. Then I transferred what I had in my Lance 1172 truck camper, and boy do we need to go on a major diet! Gladiator was down shifting to 4 th on long gradual inclines ( to the point where I had to decelerate enough to climb back into 5th gear. Not good.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Got my HQ15 yesterday. Found out the 2021 dry weight is 1000#’s heavier than earlier models due t adding 2 additional batteries(4 now) and other included updates. Then I transferred what I had in my Lance 1172 truck camper, and boy do we need to go on a major diet! Gladiator was down shifting to 4 th on long gradual inclines ( to the point where I had to decelerate enough to climb back into 5th gear. Not good.
You might as well start truck shopping, or return that HQ15 for a C12.

If your truck struggles with a trailer on road, and that trailer is an off road trailer, logic will dictate that trailer is going to become a permanent fixture somewhere way off of the highway.

I say it in every one of these threads, but if you are planning on pulling a trailer that exceeds 60% of the factory "tow rating" for any appreciable distance or over rough terrain, prepare for disappointment.

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
Any updates? Did you tow more with the Gladiator? Also, did your JT have factory 4.10 gears or did you regear? There are some guys in Colorado that go over the mountain passes and went to 5.13s and said it was much better (but thought they should've done 5.38s). But that's at 9k+ feet altitude and long, relatively steep passes. RV of America shows a video of a Gladiator towing a HQ12 up some steeps off-road. That's impressive.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
As Ive said in the past no one really thinks about all the crap they will put in a camper.....adds up....

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
As Ive said in the past no one really thinks about all the crap they will put in a camper.....adds up....
I believe your point is a person should take the time and weigh out what they're packing (dry and wet) before they commit to a camper (or TV) because it probably weighs differently than one thinks and guessing isn't smart. The total weight in the camper, of the camper and in/on the truck is more important than simply looking at the dry weight of the camper and making sure it's some random % under the TV's tow rating.

If someone does that and their weights are OK then that means a Gladiator can safely tow a HQ15. If there is too much payload then buy a different TV or camper.

Dave-in-CO

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2009 JKU, 2017 4Runner
Black Series understates the weight of their trailers, I just finished registering my Patron and I had to have it weighed (bought it last July in AZ, CO requires a certified weight on camping trailers more that 2000lbs) - completely empty it was 3680, website says 2977... That said - the Patron is a tank (in a good way) for dragging around in the mountains.
Sponsored