Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I finally had opportunity to drive the JT after dark tonight. Took it to church, got out as the sun was going down - headlights on but noticed nothing different other than the message saying it was enabled.
My wife decided to make a rare visit to her father who lives about 6 or 7 miles from the church.
We stayed and watched the rest of the Packers game with him and my wife's sister........ and of course it got dark. They live sort of out in the sticks and hills so the roads were a combo of hills, curves, 2 lane county blacktop and 4 lane highway.

After I made the mods I posted in the first post in this thread, I made sure the left stalk was forward for high beams and the cluster said auto high beam enabled or whatever it says. I always leave the lights on "auto" anyway. So when we left her dad's place, lights were on - low beam for the first hundred yards or so to the stop sign at the county highway. Turned onto the highway, hit 15 mph and the high beams kicked on - and the blue indicator was on in the cluster. A couple miles down a car popped up over a hill and as quick as I saw their lights start to appear, before I could have normally reacted, my lights were low beam and the blue light was off.
As quick as the car's tail lights were even with my front tire my high beams kicked back on.
It worked that way - fine - all the way home.
On the 4 lane it kept mostly in low beam mode as the lights from approaching cars in the other lanes were still "seen" as approaching cars (of course still there were hills and curves so that really made sense)

In short - the auto high beams worked just fine, exactly as I expected them to work, and "as advertised". My wife even noticed "you aren't doing that, are you?!"
The mods I made in the first post worked out and my truck seemed to sense things ok.
Yes, twice the bright farmstead yard lights kept mine in low mode but only for a while, it's like it figured it out and switched high beams back on. So I wasn't surprised.

They kick in at 15 mph and off high at about 12 or so mph (25 and 20 kph respectively)
It looks like that could be changed, but that's the defaults and for now, I'm fine leaving it that way until or unless I find a reason to change that setting.

Executive summary: It works. I now have auto high beam.

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
I finally had opportunity to drive the JT after dark tonight. Took it to church, got out as the sun was going down - headlights on but noticed nothing different other than the message saying it was enabled.
My wife decided to make a rare visit to her father who lives about 6 or 7 miles from the church.
We stayed and watched the rest of the Packers game with him and my wife's sister........ and of course it got dark. They live sort of out in the sticks and hills so the roads were a combo of hills, curves, 2 lane county blacktop and 4 lane highway.

After I made the mods I posted in the first post in this thread, I made sure the left stalk was forward for high beams and the cluster said auto high beam enabled or whatever it says. I always leave the lights on "auto" anyway. So when we left her dad's place, lights were on - low beam for the first hundred yards or so to the stop sign at the county highway. Turned onto the highway, hit 15 mph and the high beams kicked on - and the blue indicator was on in the cluster. A couple miles down a car popped up over a hill and as quick as I saw their lights start to appear, before I could have normally reacted, my lights were low beam and the blue light was off.
As quick as the car's tail lights were even with my front tire my high beams kicked back on.
It worked that way - fine - all the way home.
On the 4 lane it kept mostly in low beam mode as the lights from approaching cars in the other lanes were still "seen" as approaching cars (of course still there were hills and curves so that really made sense)

In short - the auto high beams worked just fine, exactly as I expected them to work, and "as advertised". My wife even noticed "you aren't doing that, are you?!"
The mods I made in the first post worked out and my truck seemed to sense things ok.
Yes, twice the bright farmstead yard lights kept mine in low mode but only for a while, it's like it figured it out and switched high beams back on. So I wasn't surprised.

They kick in at 15 mph and off high at about 12 or so mph (25 and 20 kph respectively)
It looks like that could be changed, but that's the defaults and for now, I'm fine leaving it that way until or unless I find a reason to change that setting.

Executive summary: It works. I now have auto high beam.

ugh, mine still not working

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
ugh, mine still not working
....and you got this setting changed ok in jscan? Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM

I'll have to plug in again and open jscan to see if the settings look the same or show up as I set them in AlfaOBD - since I used AlfaOBD to make the changes in mine, I can't recall how things looked when I was poking around with jscan a few weeks ago to see if I could enable these.
I suppose it could be that you can see it in jscan but it can't make the change, or as some people say, the adapter sometimes isn't fast enough to make certain changes correctly. They only way to know in your case is to go back in and see if jscan shows you the settings you want as having the correct values. It may have said it was doing it but wasn't able to - but maybe you've double-checked already.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Note they call one "active safety group" and another "advanced safety group" and Park Sense is listed differently, and the one "safety group" has things split out and worded differently. They gave the groups different names and expanded the "features" of the one.

Sponsored

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
The auto high beams work on my Mojave, but I will complain that they are overly sensitive and flash up down at the slightest light that isn't necessarily a car. I live rural so high beams are on a lot for me. If you switch from auto / on settings will toggle this function so you can use the high beams like normal if you don't want it to think for you.

As a comparison, My wife has a 2020 Lexus with this feature and it seems to function more consistently of when you would actually urn your high beams on or off, my jeep drives me crazy a little so I have it set back to manual even though I would prefer just leaving my headlight switch in the auto position.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The auto high beams work on my Mojave, but I will complain that they are overly sensitive and flash up down at the slightest light that isn't necessarily a car. I live rural so high beams are on a lot for me. If you switch from auto / on settings will toggle this function so you can use the high beams like normal if you don't want it to think for you.

As a comparison, My wife has a 2020 Lexus with this feature and it seems to function more consistently of when you would actually urn your high beams on or off, my jeep drives me crazy a little so I have it set back to manual even though I would prefer just leaving my headlight switch in the auto position.
Mine actually did fine. No complaints. It COULD have done a more PERFECT job, but then even Google and Tesla have trouble with full automation and NASA to this day has failures, so I can't expect a Jeep to be perfect in every sense (although they are danged close as a fun vehicle)
It is good that you can simple turn that light switch to ON and disable that for a while if needed. In my case it worked so well, and it was WINDY (it's Iowa, what else is new?) so I could concentrate on driving, avoiding deer, and keep my wife happy.

As for Lexus - Toyota has done a heck of a job. Years ago, a guy I worked with had some electrical trouble with his Lexus - he said the dealer shop had to contact the company with some info or a code or something before they could even get wiring diagrams for that specific car - security and theft resistance, he said. Wow.

Who knows - part of the thing could be placement - up high on a JT while on the Lexus and Grand Cherokee, it's lower, different windshield angle, maybe the flat glass as an impact, etc. - could all play into it. OTOH, I don't expect it to perform the same or as well as a high end "luxury car" so I'm pleased so far.

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
....and you got this setting changed ok in jscan? Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM

I'll have to plug in again and open jscan to see if the settings look the same or show up as I set them in AlfaOBD - since I used AlfaOBD to make the changes in mine, I can't recall how things looked when I was poking around with jscan a few weeks ago to see if I could enable these.
I suppose it could be that you can see it in jscan but it can't make the change, or as some people say, the adapter sometimes isn't fast enough to make certain changes correctly. They only way to know in your case is to go back in and see if jscan shows you the settings you want as having the correct values. It may have said it was doing it but wasn't able to - but maybe you've double-checked already.
Ill try it. Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted.

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Mine actually did fine. No complaints. It COULD have done a more PERFECT job, but then even Google and Tesla have trouble with full automation and NASA to this day has failures, so I can't expect a Jeep to be perfect in every sense (although they are danged close as a fun vehicle)
It is good that you can simple turn that light switch to ON and disable that for a while if needed. In my case it worked so well, and it was WINDY (it's Iowa, what else is new?) so I could concentrate on driving, avoiding deer, and keep my wife happy.

As for Lexus - Toyota has done a heck of a job. Years ago, a guy I worked with had some electrical trouble with his Lexus - he said the dealer shop had to contact the company with some info or a code or something before they could even get wiring diagrams for that specific car - security and theft resistance, he said. Wow.

Who knows - part of the thing could be placement - up high on a JT while on the Lexus and Grand Cherokee, it's lower, different windshield angle, maybe the flat glass as an impact, etc. - could all play into it. OTOH, I don't expect it to perform the same or as well as a high end "luxury car" so I'm pleased so far.

I was thinking lifted or leveled trucks may see different sensitivity when using this due to the changed angle of view. Mine is stock with no plans of lifting

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
My Rubicon was built Dec 19, delivered in January 20 and mine always worked. Between the heated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise and the auto headlights and high beams, I really enjoy my fluffy Jeep and Ive only had it at the mall once. Just turned 18K miles last week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Rubicon was built Dec 19, delivered in January 20 and mine always worked. Between the heated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise and the auto headlights and high beams, I really enjoy my fluffy Jeep and Ive only had it at the mall once. Just turned 18K miles last week.
It is my understanding that it was added to the advanced safety package in December, 2019, so that makes sense. Yours and any later builds should have it if they have that group.
My JT has turned into a daily driver. If I end up selling my WJ it will be a daily driver except in summer when I get my other cars out again then it will rotate into the mix. As a daily driver, and a truck I'll use to tow my cars to shows, or do other traveling, I'm glad to have those features.
As far as a mall goes, it's never been to a mall.
It's been to Menards, Lowe's, Home Depot, Fleet Farm, etc. - the closest it's been to a mall may be WalMart, the grocery store, etc.
It's been to Fort Wayne delivering a 104 year old engine to a friend, hauled car parts back to him and picked up more to restore (and an air conditioning setup for my 73 Javelin, and to Omaha to pick up 3 12' AMC dealership signs and a set of Rubicon wheels and tires.

Anyway, this should work for JTs built prior to December 2019 that did not already have auto high beam present in the package, and only on JTs that have the ACC and forward collision warning package.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Fluffy Jeep at the mall. :LOL:

I remember the dismay from the real Jeep owners when they found out the the 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK/JKU was going to be available with power window and leather heated seats (Oh, the horror). Now the JK/JKU are included into the real Jeep club.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Note - this REQUIRES you have the forward facing module up center of the windshield, in the area of the inside rear view mirror. This contains the DASM. It's the radar and camera that handles ACC, Forward Collision Warning, etc.
If you do not have that black box up there, you cannot enable auto high beams.

You will need the security bypass cable and an OBD adapter such as the OBDLink MX+ or vGate iCar Pro, etc. and software such as jscan or AlfaOBD.
It appears access to the necessary settings MAY exist in jscan, but I used AlfaOBD in this case (I have both and found a couple of the settings in jscan but cannot prove that it has everything needed.)

These are the necessary settings - (the first part of each line, prior to the colon : is the location of the item in AlfaOBD)
* VehConfig 1: Auto High beam- YES (this tells it to enable)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM (this tells it where the module is)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam On Threshold- 25 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Off Threshold- 20 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case)
* CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES (this sets it in the radio settings screen under "Lights", adds the menu selection so you can turn it on or off. See picture of the menu below)

The settings involved are in the body module (BCM)

The pics below are of AlfaOBD which I used to set this up.

20210110_112001.jpg

This pic shows adding the menu choice on the radio settings screen, Yes tells it this setting choice is present

20210110_113058.jpg

If I recall the owner manual correctly, the headlight switch should be in auto position, and the TS stalk forward to high beams on. Flicking that lever again to change to low beams will trigger a "Automatic High Beams Disabled" message, meaning that you turned it off.

20210110_113848_HDR.jpg

This is what the "CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES" setting does - adds the Auto Dim High Beams menu choice. It was not there before that setting ->

20210111_103653_HDR.jpg

Special thanks to member Jimmy07 who furnished much of the settings details
I’ve been meaning to ask you if you ever tried those suggested settings, and forgot all about this. Then found this thread, glad you got it working!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been meaning to ask you if you ever tried those suggested settings, and forgot all about this. Then found this thread, glad you got it working!
Yes, and thank you again. You're a great resource.
The thresholds were in there already so either they are always there, or are there once you enable it and tell it the module location. Either way, I left those set at the default.

Fluffy Jeep at the mall. :LOL:

I remember the dismay from the real Jeep owners when they found out the the 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK/JKU was going to be available with power window and leather heated seats (Oh, the horror). Now the JK/JKU are included into the real Jeep club.
I know I had to laugh when I read his post - fluffy Jeep. A hoot.
If it weren't for the features available and Jeep's attempt to expand the market or even pull in the young people, Cooper Mini people and the like, Jeep would eventually die. In this day and age, you must be global in market and people appeal.
I get those who want to buy without all that stuff - have it as options so they can "opt out" - that's cool and the only way Jeep will retain that group as the core buyers.
But for Jeep to survive - diversify is the word - or die.
Here's a great example - my oldest son. He's - well, born in 1982, and a big fan of things like the Cooper Mini, Soul and stuff I just can't stand. HOWEVER, he was sold instantly on the Jeep Compass - the later version, what was that, 2018 or something like that. He loved it and stopped looking for a car once he saw and drove one.
Then I posted a pic of my JT on my FB page - with roof off, etc. and he actually said he was mildly envious. Really, Luke? YOU??????? Jeep????

Anyway, I've proven that using the OBDLink MX+, AlfaOBD, the security bypass cable and the settings provided by Jimmy07, as in the first post of this thread, it's possible and it works.
It MAY work with other adapters and other software such as jscan. I can't say it will or will not.
Speed is a factor in some settings, and the OBDLink device is the fastest on the market. It also opens things up for software that other adapters apparently don't allow. Even the writer of jscan says that you can't access certain things without the OBDLink MX+ type device.
So if your software and bluetooth adapter aren't fast enough, it could be an issue.
I've only proven what DOES work,
........not what does NOT work.

So if someone uses a different piece of hardware instead of the OBDLink device and/or has done it successfully with software OTHER THAN AlfaOBD, chime in.
Then people can come here to see what works, what doesn't work and how to.

MNDZLJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary Diesel
Occupation
Jeep Technician
We ordered a 2021 JLU 80th with the Advanced Safety Group which is supposed to have the auto-dim high beam feature as it is part of the Advanced Safety Group. When the vehicle was delivered the sticker does not show the option and the option is not in the radio settings. I am working with JeepWave as to why it was delivered without the option enabled and how to get it enabled.
you have it 100% i have the same jeep...it just needs to be turned on in the radio. After that push your dimmer switch forward and you will get the auto highbeam message
Sponsored