First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland Punk’n
Occupation
Engineer
I tried this with an ELM327 WiFi adapter with no success. I went ahead and purchased the OBDLink MX+ and used AlfaOBD following the instructions and it works!

I tried it with JScan, but the correct option for the module location (IRCM) isn’t in JScan. There are two reserved options, but when I tried either with the ELM327 in the past, neither of them worked.

So in short, you’ll need AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX+ to make this change. If you add up the cost of the adapter and software, you’re looking at $150 minimum 😬.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I tried this with an ELM327 WiFi adapter with no success. I went ahead and purchased the OBDLink MX+ and used AlfaOBD following the instructions and it works!

I tried it with JScan, but the correct option for the module location (IRCM) isn’t in JScan. There are two reserved options, but when I tried either with the ELM327 in the past, neither of them worked.

So in short, you’ll need AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX+ to make this change. If you add up the cost of the adapter and software, you’re looking at $150 minimum 😬.
On the flip side - if you order these two things instead of the other stuff - they'll work on any Jeep you have since 2005 and Ram and other FCA products. And the reports you get when running engine checks are deep and thorough for a non-dealership tool.
I wish I had not tried to save a few bucks and bought these first. They'll work on my wife's GC without any further purchases for VIN, etc.

Anywho - thanks for clarifying why it's not working in jscan. I haven't had a chance to check but did believe it was because that one option just wasn't there.

Now we know - you must use AlfaOBD (and the OBDLink MX+)

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
On the flip side - if you order these two things instead of the other stuff - they'll work on any Jeep you have since 2005 and Ram and other FCA products. And the reports you get when running engine checks are deep and thorough for a non-dealership tool.
I wish I had not tried to save a few bucks and bought these first. They'll work on my wife's GC without any further purchases for VIN, etc.

Anywho - thanks for clarifying why it's not working in jscan. I haven't had a chance to check but did believe it was because that one option just wasn't there.

Now we know - you must use AlfaOBD (and the OBDLink MX+)
Are you using an android device or Windows PC, this will work on multiple vehicles with no additional purchase?

Thanks

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Are you using an android device or Windows PC, this will work on multiple vehicles with no additional purchase?

Thanks
AlfaOBD is a one-time purchase and will work on any FCA vehicle with no VIN matching, etc. (don't need additional licenses for a second or third FCA vehicle)

I have it installed on my LG V40 ThinQ, Google Nexus tablet and my LG tablet. I bought it through Amazon so it was pretty easy to launch Amazon software on each and download it to each device.

All three work and all work on both of our Jeeps (and will do the basic standard checks on my 04 which was pre-FCA)
If you have 2 JTs and a 2021 Grand Cherokee, it will work on all of them with no additional licenses for the vehicles.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I am an noivice with the alfaOBD, been playing around with it, the only change I made so far is the tire pressure setting 37 psi down to 30 psi. I did notice there is a setting where you can change the vehicle max seed in K/H.

Watching some videos found out you can change the odometer and hours settings on RAM trucks, (wow!) this setting isn't available for the JT. Devious used car dealers are going to love this odometer option.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Necessary if you swap engines or other parts - when I put the NOS speedometer in my car I was tempted to FORWARD the mileage from 5 to 193,000 miles on the new speedometer and friends talked me out of it. So now instead of having the pleasure and fun of watching that car turn over to 200,000 miles, I have to wait decades to do that.
If I swapped engines in a truck, I'd want to reset the hours for sure.
From what I can tell, AlfaOBD has power close to that of the dealer tools in some ways.

Don't know why I'd ever want to set the max speed of a JT to more than factory! It's not exactly a vehicle I'd want to pass 100 mph in.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Devious used car dealers are going to love this odometer option.
With the amount of reporting and documentation of vehicle service that goes on now, I doubt it. I can look up my past service history from most places via any of the car data aggregators. Even many indie shops feed into this; I can see our BMW service from a local shop.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
I am an noivice with the alfaOBD, been playing around with it, the only change I made so far is the tire pressure setting 37 psi down to 30 psi. I did notice there is a setting where you can change the vehicle max seed in K/H.

Watching some videos found out you can change the odometer and hours settings on RAM trucks, (wow!) this setting isn't available for the JT. Devious used car dealers are going to love this odometer option.

Changing the max vehicle speed in the BCM alone won’t do anything. It needs to be changed in the engine file, which AlfaOBD can’t do.
The mileage correction is useful because it is popular to swap in the premium cluster. If the manufacturer of the JT/JL clusters is continental (and I’d imagine it is), then you can probably get the correction to work with the windows version in advanced mode. That way you can force the list of procedures for a ram truck to populate while connected to the JT. The mileage correction is VERY picky, and even the MX+ isn’t fast enough to make the change sometimes. I usually end up using the USB wired EX interface when I do mileage corrections to get the changes to stick.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Huge thanks to @ShadowsPapa for this post and @GladFox for his help by PM I finally got the auto high beams enabled on my 7/19 build Launch Edition. I had the Tazer already, and they recently said they had added the enabling of this, but it seems like all they have done is the 2 settings that cause the screen to show the Auto High Beam check box. The feature was still not enabled as toggling the lever just turned the high beams on and off as before. Finally broke down and got AlfaOBD, and set the rest of the settings so it works as expected. Seems like Tazer falls into the same issue as JScan and can’t fully enable auto high beams.

I think moving forward I’m going to sell my Tazer and just keep using Alfa and/or JScan as needed.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Huge thanks to @ShadowsPapa for this post and @GladFox for his help by PM I finally got the auto high beams enabled on my 7/19 build Launch Edition. I had the Tazer already, and they recently said they had added the enabling of this, but it seems like all they have done is the 2 settings that cause the screen to show the Auto High Beam check box. The feature was still not enabled as toggling the lever just turned the high beams on and off as before. Finally broke down and got AlfaOBD, and set the rest of the settings so it works as expected. Seems like Tazer falls into the same issue as JScan and can’t fully enable auto high beams.

I think moving forward I’m going to sell my Tazer and just keep using Alfa and/or JScan as needed.
AlfaOBD is pretty powerful. It's what I used on my wife's WK2 when it had only about 800 miles on it and had a bad misfire. Luckily I had run the program while sitting in the driveway and while on a short road test and captured some data and saved it to a file. As luck would have it - the Jeep acted fine after I got within about 4 miles or so of the dealership. They said they got it to misfire ONE time but were not able to see what happened. They had my file printout and it showed each time it was ignition and all of the other things captured were totally normal. So they found a single TSB that was related to the 2021 3.6 - spark plugs causing ignition misfire. New spark plugs and 3,000 miles later and it's fine. I have to think if I had not captured the detailed data I had, they may not have had anything to go by.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
AlfaOBD is pretty powerful. It's what I used on my wife's WK2 when it had only about 800 miles on it and had a bad misfire. Luckily I had run the program while sitting in the driveway and while on a short road test and captured some data and saved it to a file. As luck would have it - the Jeep acted fine after I got within about 4 miles or so of the dealership. They said they got it to misfire ONE time but were not able to see what happened. They had my file printout and it showed each time it was ignition and all of the other things captured were totally normal. So they found a single TSB that was related to the 2021 3.6 - spark plugs causing ignition misfire. New spark plugs and 3,000 miles later and it's fine. I have to think if I had not captured the detailed data I had, they may not have had anything to go by.
We’re you using the Android or a windows version to do that? If it was Android, that would be awesome to be able to capture that kind of stuff with a small tablet.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Would this be something that the guys over at TAZR can enable?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
They should be able to do it. Someone may need to show them the additional settings AlfaOBD changes in order to make it work, so they can adjust their programming.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly. I’ve asked them for months to enable it, then they finally did in the last firmware. Seems like they don’t have all the settings turned on, even though I showed them the list. Of note is that JScan doesn’t have the right camera location in their list of options, so I’m not sure if they are just missing it, or if Alfa has figured out something the others hasn’t. I was hoping the Tazer would do it since I already had it, but after months of waiting and it still not working right, I just gave up and went this route.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We’re you using the Android or a windows version to do that? If it was Android, that would be awesome to be able to capture that kind of stuff with a small tablet.
Android - and I have an LG tablet with AlfaOBD on it. I prefer using a tablet when looking for things as my eyes aren't what they were when I was 15 and reading the dates on old coins for my father - without a magnifying glass. The phone is fine for quick checks, but having a tablet with it is fantastic.

AlfaOBD is a different audience - think sports cars, Alfa-Romeo, all the Alfa stuff, Fiat and so on, a broader market, more than Ram trucks and Jeeps so it makes sense they are very current and in-depth.

Jeep Gladiator Enabling auto high beam 20210110_113706

Jeep Gladiator Enabling auto high beam 20210110_113058
Sponsored

Last edited: