First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Billet Silver Sport S/Max Tow Package
Occupation
Law enforcement
1. Was just wondering if $7800 price for parts and labor is a fair price?
2. Are you still happy with your Magnuson Supercharger?
Thanks in advance for any information you folks can provide. Hopefully a future Magnuson Supercharger owner.
Sponsored

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
i would say its a fair price, it was a bit more for my installation as the shop charged me more in labor, however after putting 3500 miles on it, towing, highway and dirt so far i am very happy with it. i have not used Dave's tune files, i am running the mag file right now, so far no issues for me personally, however dave has done phenomenal work building his file.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
It ok, be a better deal if they plan to supply you with flashing capability. Basically 1300 dollars for 8 hours of work. 162 dollars an hour. There is overhead but even at 80 dollar labor 100% overhead is steep. At the end of the day if they support and warranty their work, probably an ok choice as there are not a ton of competent installers.

OP
OP

misplacetexan

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law enforcement
It ok, be a better deal if they plan to supply you with flashing capability. Basically 1300 dollars for 8 hours of work. 162 dollars an hour. There is overhead but even at 80 dollar labor 100% overhead is steep. At the end of the day if they support and warranty their work, probably an ok choice as there are not a ton of competent installers.
Here in the Houston, TX, area most shops start $100/hr. The owner has already installed a Magnuson Supercharger on his previous Gladiator. That is the main reason, I selected this shop.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Keep us posted! It's on my list, would love to hear your feedback.

Sponsored

OP
OP

misplacetexan

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law enforcement
Keep us posted! It's on my list, would love to hear your feedback.
Magnuson Supercharger was ordered yesterday (14May). Now the waiting game has started.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent about 3 hours today working on small cruise items like idling through the neighborhood in 3rd, without gear hunt. Rounding corners and giving it throttle without double down shifting, until moderate throttle was given. Torque converter lockup during gear transition, to keep from having a double gear engagement feeling.

I may go back and visit the VVT tables a bit as I believe there is a bit more part throttle power to be had.

Still need a bit of work with 7th and 8th gear cruise. It does well right now but every once in a while I get a timing drop out as it thinks about going to 8th gear and doesn't. Also I need to work on TC lock up as I have engagement turned up to keep ot healty under power. It is very obvious when it locks and unlocks to accelerate in those gears. I think I can improve on that feel.

Last but not least I think there is more power to be had at WOT. I am at 11-13 psi of boost and on initial tip in I am still a bit rich, so my guess is I could take a bit more air and make some power.

All in all I feel I am getting real close, to a factory like experience.

I have thought about doing installs but my schedule is a bit nuts. Definetly would be down if someone wanted to visit and have me flash and fine tune their install. Would need to work out license and probably a bit of compensation. Anyone on the fence could take a rip in my ride before you decided😉

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
With your experience, it's tempting.
My wife would have a fit, though. "What now, what's wrong with it"?
I already got the "now what are you tearing apart on it" when I was putting the front receiver back on it.

usafidaho

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Military
Here in the Houston, TX, area most shops start $100/hr. The owner has already installed a Magnuson Supercharger on his previous Gladiator. That is the main reason, I selected this shop.
May I ask the name of the dealer in Houston...I am in San Antonio

OP
OP

misplacetexan

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law enforcement
Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

misplacetexan

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law enforcement
The install appear to be perfect. I bought the Gladiator on 16July2019. My Gladiator currently 38,500 miles on it. Picked up my Gladiator, Thursday, 29July, from the shop. Not sure what Magnuson has done to the tune, but the skinny pedal doesn’t require to be feathered to drive. The JT drives like it did before the supercharger was added. If you need the extra power you need to press the skinny pedal to get into boost. Nobody will accidentally get into boost, unless you have the intention to utilize the extra power of the Magnuson Supercharger. Have only driven the Gladiator for approximately 200 miles.

62AD0D4B-1737-4C83-B686-D1FEC64B780F.jpeg

36AA24F2-98D4-4B63-804B-995AD744343A.jpeg

5C79B8A4-7499-4135-8466-4E8620B7330F.jpeg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I spent about 3 hours today working on small cruise items like idling through the neighborhood in 3rd, without gear hunt. Rounding corners and giving it throttle without double down shifting, until moderate throttle was given. Torque converter lockup during gear transition, to keep from having a double gear engagement feeling.

I may go back and visit the VVT tables a bit as I believe there is a bit more part throttle power to be had.

Still need a bit of work with 7th and 8th gear cruise. It does well right now but every once in a while I get a timing drop out as it thinks about going to 8th gear and doesn't. Also I need to work on TC lock up as I have engagement turned up to keep ot healty under power. It is very obvious when it locks and unlocks to accelerate in those gears. I think I can improve on that feel.

Last but not least I think there is more power to be had at WOT. I am at 11-13 psi of boost and on initial tip in I am still a bit rich, so my guess is I could take a bit more air and make some power.

All in all I feel I am getting real close, to a factory like experience.

I have thought about doing installs but my schedule is a bit nuts. Definetly would be down if someone wanted to visit and have me flash and fine tune their install. Would need to work out license and probably a bit of compensation. Anyone on the fence could take a rip in my ride before you decided😉
Dave, you seem to be a pretty knowledgeable guy with the Magnuson. I just completed my install last Friday but didn't drive the truck over the weekend I just drove it today and while I'm happy with the power when you really get on it it is definitely not no where near as smooth as it was before. It seems to stay away too long shifting from 2nd to 3rd, if you get on the power about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it's not a steady pull it kind of does a wave like on and off fluttering if that makes sense.

It is definitely not like the other people have commented here about driving as smooth as stock

Deleted member 28696

With the Mopar engine parts that you are replacing with Magnuson are you letting the installer keep those parts or are you saving them in case they need to be reverted back to stock, curious?

As far as the price goes I would expect that to be about right, cost of parts alone is $6500.00 - $6700.00 with tuning depending on where you go. I haven't pulled the trigger on it but I'm seriously considering it. I'll have Trail Jeeps do the work since they have done several with good results.

Last edited by a moderator:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dave, you seem to be a pretty knowledgeable guy with the Magnuson. I just completed my install last Friday but didn't drive the truck over the weekend I just drove it today and while I'm happy with the power when you really get on it it is definitely not no where near as smooth as it was before. It seems to stay away too long shifting from 2nd to 3rd, if you get on the power about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it's not a steady pull it kind of does a wave like on and off fluttering if that makes sense.

It is definitely not like the other people have commented here about driving as smooth as stock
Yes that is common on about every Petty and Magnuson tune I have seen. Both companies are trying to stay away form changing to much. The problem is, the systems is setup to work in unison between the throttle, torque output, and transmission. If you change one they all need tuned to keep drivability. Adding more torque has been mostly accounted for in the torque management for the petty and Magnuson tune. Without throttle airflow tuning and transmission shift schedule or torque management tuning. you get odd part throttle behaviors. These will not be seen on a dyno, only by driving, or loaded dyno with a test plan. The stutter you are feeling is the throttle body going unstable as it clips its airflow limits. It initially is not hurting anything, it is not misfire. The long term problem is every clip comes with a shot of fuel to correct the issue, which will cause it to run richer than needed. With an automatic, your lug curve is completely different now and the trans is tuned around the stock lug curve, so at given throttle positions you are making way more torque and the shift schedule believe you are accelerating instead of cruising and keeps you in a lower gear. In the manual jeeps these two changes manifest in completely different ways. Basically when pulling a gear part throttle you get very surgy power application. my early tunes I fought this tooth and nail. I am getting it very close to a factory feel now.
Sponsored