First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
The hardtop would be so much better as a 4 piece IMO. Have the back window be separate and the roof section over the back seats a separate piece. Easier, lighter, and better to store.
And more like a bronco.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have both tops and the Sunrider for hardtop. Get some cut to size Velcro double sided tape and make two straps to hold it closed. Then I use a power ratchet to remove the four bolts that attach the top to the Jeep. Then throw it in the bed.
Exactly what I do too, ZERO issues with the functionality of the soft top. Do I wish it folded all the way back to the bed, of course! But it doesn't. And its literally 3-4 minutes to get it completely off or on
Couldn't you just take the HardTop off and put in a garage or leave it at the house. It's only a 10 minute job removing the hard top. Just saying, if your removing the whole thing then why even have a soft top, seems pointless to me.

OP
OP
unsocbl

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
I love my soft top, doesn't look the best, but it works and is easy to work. Sunrider isn't an option because of the back row. I will say the design does start to cause a decent amount of flapping at 70+MPH, to the point where it concerned me a little
Agreed! I put it down (up? back? 3/4 erect??) at the dealer for the drive home. That lasted about 10 seconds on the interstate. As stated, I've always owned a Wrangler, so I'm used to loud...but this is next level LOUD!

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Wow the amount of haters on the soft top! Did everyone really NOT realize what they were buying when they spent 40-60k?

Seems like many really want a sky one touch power top:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/03/10/jeep-wrangler-sky-one-touch-power-top/

but not available for the JT (but should be)….
But then y’all would be complaining about the price.

since everyone here is talking such crap about the engineers, how would you design the soft top? Would it fold back and block the back window? If so people would complain like they do about the JL options. Would it somehow fold to the bed? If so people would complain that the bed was taken up and why have a truck, just to fold the top back into?

I personally put the top back for the experience. It’s quick, it’s easy (5 seconds, two latches). I don’t care what others think. Plenty of people hate the look of the JT in the first place. You can drive down the interstate with it at 75. Are you really that self conscious of the man bun? I guarantee, when others look at your JT with the top back they say, dang what a nice jeep. They don’t think about your man bun.

but, if you point out the man bun, they might agree with you. It’s no different than a small stain on your shirt that no one notices, or that booger in your nose no one sees.
Actually you don't have to point it out. I was at a jeep club meet and greet about 5 weeks ago and the soft top looking stupid was a pretty hot topic, even with the guys who had them installed. Wish they would of made it go down on the bed and rest there, I could give up a little rear view blockage to have it look respectable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
unsocbl

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never understood this. You don't like the factory soft top, so you went and bought a smaller version of the exact same thing? Those half-sunriders are damn convenient, yes, but aesthetically they look just as goofy when they're open. Exact same argument that you're making against the factory soft top.
I feel the same. The hardtop on my SPort wasn't difficult to remove, and it looked so clean either way!
My only issue with the hardtop is just having to leave it somewhere and risking no protection in a downpour. That should be where the softop steps in to save the day :)

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Mine is hard all the way. If I want sun and wind... I take it off. I've had way too many sports cars with drafty leaky canvas tops.
The '65 Triumph Spitfire I had comes to mind. Ribs and snaps to keep it on.

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Actually you don't have to point it out. I was at a jeep club meet and greet about 5 weeks ago and the soft top looking stupid was a pretty hot topic, even with the guys who had them installed. Wish they would of made it go down on the bed and rest there, I could give up a little rear view blockage to have it look respectable.
I think that's the general feeling - we'd rather have a top that folded into the bed. I mean, what's the likelihood that someone is going to have a full load in the bed of their JT AND want the soft top down at the same time. Seems like a smaller price to pay for a top that proper folds down.

With it in constant sunrider mode it's louder and will get dirtier from road/bug splatter.

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
Agreed! I put it down (up? back? 3/4 erect??) at the dealer for the drive home. That lasted about 10 seconds on the interstate. As stated, I've always owned a Wrangler, so I'm used to loud...but this is next level LOUD!
It is not. You're being really mellow dramatic.

You should have done your homework before dropping 50-60k on a truck. No one to blame but yourself.

Wahhh I bought a Jeep and its loud and uncomfortable.

No shit.

I drove mine 3hrs straight on the highway back from PA to CT when I bought mine with a top back and have zero complaints about comfort or noise level.

OP
OP
unsocbl

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is not. You're being really mellow dramatic.

You should have done your homework before dropping 50-60k on a truck. No one to blame but yourself.

Wahhh I bought a Jeep and its loud and uncomfortable.

No shit.

I drove mine 3hrs straight on the highway back from PA to CT when I bought mine with a top back and have zero complaints about comfort or noise level.
LOL...it was 40k and I admitted on the first page I should have reserached the softtop more. My fault for assuming someone had an actiual clue when designing it. Also, about my 15th soft top Jeep...and NOT A DAMN ONE were nearly as loud as this abomination.

But ti's all good...have the hardtop in my cart from Quadratec (what's another 3k right?). Just hoping there's something on the horizon that is not only more functional, but more aesthetic also. I WANT a softtop, just not this half assed attempt at one,.

Sponsored

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
Im guessing you guys never use your truck for truck stuff? If the soft top went into the box I'd have to leave it up most of the time. Always hauling bikes or something in the box. Defeats the purpose of the soft top and having a box entirely if the soft top folds into the box. Should have just bought a wrangler....

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Im guessing you guys never use your truck for truck stuff? If the soft top went into the box I'd have to leave it up most of the time. Always hauling bikes or something in the box. Defeats the purpose of the soft top and having a box entirely if the soft top folds into the box. Should have just bought a wrangler....
it's been addressed earlier.

even if the top did store in the bed, that's a minimal amount- maybe a foot of bed space. that space can be easily recovered with a Jeep(tm) brand Jeep Truck(tm) bed extender, available at your nearest Mopar(tm) dealer for the low price of $899. Problem solved.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I think just tightening it up some with straps should fix this for me. I need something quick to deploy though like 10 seconds on/off fast. I can't stand a long process for anything on the JT (all door screws are gone now) I like to pull my top back down in safari mode when I go in places for more than 30 min to keep the chance of rain doing much to a minimum (always doorless so some gets in) and mitigate the risk of bird poop on my seat.
Sponsored