Sponsored

Does any one have a 2021 gladiator that wanders.

Gremlinsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I seem to have a little bit of wandering in the 21 model I just got. It’s a two handed drive currently

I’ve found the threads about the tab but it shows to be for 20 models.

Anyone else have a 21 my that has this issue
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Mine was built in August of 20, and it handles properly.

Kevin

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Are you used to Jeep steering because it's no rack and pinion. It's always going to feel a fair bit more floaty and loose than anything else out there that isn't a super duty pickup.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I seem to have a little bit of wandering in the 21 model I just got. It’s a two handed drive currently

What's your tire pressure set at? It's usually high from the dealer and lowering it helps correct wandering.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
For my 21 I had to lower my tire pressure to 35lbs AND retorque all the suspension nuts and bolts. They were all under spec by a lot. After I did that, it drives real nice.

NH Hick

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow, 2017 JKU, 1938 Ford
Yes, mine is quite bad. I took it to the dealer but they were not able to fix it. Made it worse actually.

I did all the typical suggested stuff; torque everything, lower tire pressure, balance tires. Running tires at 32 lbs helps a little unless its windy or towing, but then you have the alert.

I put on a SteerSmarts track bar and steering box brace, but that didn't help.

I ran the tires off my JKU for a little bit before I sold that and it made the biggest improvement. Again unless towing or there is a little wind, then it is just a white knuckle ride.

I'm going to bring it back to the dealer one more time, then have to decide if its worth throwing money at to fix it if they can't, or get rid of it for a Raptor. I need to be able to tow, which is why I got the max tow and even towing 2,000 pounds is dangerous (something my JKU did with ease).

Don't let people tell you its a "Jeep thing" it is not. Some JT's drive just fine while others are like ours. Sure they are not going to drive like an F-150, but they are not all over the road and dangerous either.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase

First, check tire pressure, always too high from factory. Bring it down to factory specs on door. Made a huge difference for me.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer

Op, do you have “dead space” in the steering wheel where you turn the wheel side to side and there’s an inch or maybe more of movement where there’s no steering response?

Sponsored

obbydoby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
HVAC
Following this thread. I too, am working through this issue in my 2021 Mojave. It's ALL OVER the damn road!

OP
OP

Gremlinsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for sharing that video
That exactly what I was thinking was wrong and will try the repair ASAP and report back

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold JLU Sport S for JTM, JL Willys Sport
My '21 Mojave has very little wandering or a dead space. Driving back from the dealership it was pretty windy and I was amazed at how little it wandered. Coming form a JLU, it was a big improvement.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I read about steering problems before picking up my 2021 Mojave so I've been paying particular attention every time I take it out. I would not call mine a problem at this point but its definitely got a looser feel and a tiny bit of wandering compared to any other truck or vehicle I've had.

Reducing tire pressure has helped a little and I will look into the steering box adjustment first since I did that on an older truck wtih 200k mi and it would be nice if there were instructions or a youtube on torqueing the suspension nuts and bolts.
Sponsored